User Tag List

First 456781656 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 743

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokartride View Post
    The good way creates, and enables persons to live in the dignity and inner freedom that is our right. I think/hope people follow the christian God basically because of Jesus' teachings. That so few really do this very well is sad on many levels.
    What exactly does this "good way" entail?

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    the big bang theory has changed many times over the years.
    Yes, the Big Bang has been Improved upon when new evidence and information was discovered.

    from an objective viewpoint, its just as unbelievable that I descended from an earthworm, as it is an all mighty being created me.
    Are you confusing Objectivity with Subjectivity? Also, to say that we desceneded from an earthworm is a typical thing that comes from the mouth of a Creationist, you don't want me thinking that you are a creationist..

    There is more evidence of humans being descended from aliens who arrived from outer space, than the big bang theory.
    What?! First of all you are connecting two unrelated ideas. For that to be a just comparison, you'd have to be comparing human descendence from Aliens to Abiogenesis/Evolution. Secondly, don't confuse the word "theory", which can mean "a random idea or thought that seems to make sense", with a Scientific Theory, that has been rigorously tested through the Scientific Method a countless amount of times.

    If you study the history of Sumerians, Nibiru (the 10th planet nasa found 2 years ago), and Akkadians, there is far more scientific evidence we came from aliens, than an earthworm.
    You mean mean wall paintings and carvings that can be subjectively viewed to show an extra planet? Have you thought to compare the Proportionate size of each planet? Or their distance and configuration? I have a friend that believes this crap and have debated him for hours, he's pretty much given up.

    Yet science refuses to acknowledge this hypothesis that has greater scientific evidence. Now that to me is funny. The theory of Nibiru has farrr more scientific evidence than the big bang theory origin of humans.
    Like Sass said..



    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post

    btw, don't read all that nibiru, sumerians, zacharia stuff unless u want to be disoriented for a few days. if u have an important event comin up, by all means, we came from from an amoeba and electricity.
    Yes, I don't want to have my mind tranquilized from rational thought.

    it just trips me out the Sumerians knew that there was a 10th planet, 6000 years before NASA did.
    Yes, because they had advanced telescope technology right? O wait.. nope. They didn't even have Crude telescopes, they mapped the first 5 planets by Eye.

    Okay I stopped, there is no point cause Sass dealt with'ya.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart View Post
    I apologize. I thought you were serious. But thanks for responding so quickly: I won't waste my time anymore.
    What? My OP is of a serious nature.

    If you don't want to waste your time with me then good for you, however I see it as a failure to show me how I commited a Strawman Fallacy.

    Edit: I understand that a few of my questions in my 'question-answer' session had a mocking tone but they did not equivocate to Strawman Fallacy

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You're getting your science mixed up with your philosophy.
    Well, its more like my premise is the Science and the questions/answers are philosophy.

  4. #54
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i dont see why anyone would waste time trying to prove or disprove the concept of a being that is, by definition, above reality as we know it

    this is the real mystery.
    That is because the concept of God is not "by definition, above reality as we know it." If we were talking about the possible existence of some grand unknowable being out there who is in no way tied to the Earth or to humans, then yes, it would be pointless to try and provide earthly evidence for or against its existence. However, most concepts of "God" that we are dealing with are tied in some way to the Earth and to human experience (creation stories, rules of behavior, doctrines, etc...), and because of this the concept is fundamentally a part of reality as we know it. If it weren't, we would have no impetus to prove or disprove its existence...it would be of no consequence to us whether this being existed or not.

    So saying that there is no way to prove or disprove God because its existence is "above reality", when the very nature of religion is to anchor the reality of God in earthly experience, is a contradiction...and when used by theists to dismiss evidence presented (or efforts to find evidence) against the likelihood of God's existence, it is an evasion.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  5. #55
    Senior Member millerm277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokartride View Post
    There are several versions (in different cultures, christian and not) of ancient literature speaking of "the two ways." One way (the good way) leads to well-being and wholeness (for us and others)...and the other (the bad way) is less functional and leads to harm of ourselves and others. The dynamics of these "two ways" has been observed playing out over and over since ancient times...and there is real wisdom here. The teachings of Jesus was strongly aligned with "the good way." The good way creates, and enables persons to live in the dignity and inner freedom that is our right.
    Since I haven't seen many atheists going out and murdering and commiting crimes, I'm pretty sure this is unrelated to religon or the teachings of Jesus.

    I think/hope people follow the christian God basically because of Jesus' teachings. That so few really do this very well is sad on many levels.
    Why is it sad? What exactly is so terrible about them (and me) not following it?
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

  6. #56
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    That is because the concept of God is not "by definition, above reality as we know it." If we were talking about the possible existence of some grand unknowable being out there who is in no way tied to the Earth or to humans, then yes, it would be pointless to try and provide earthly evidence for or against its existence. However, most concepts of "God" that we are dealing with are tied in some way to the Earth and to human experience (creation stories, rules of behavior, doctrines, etc...), and because of this the concept is fundamentally a part of reality as we know it. If it weren't, we would have no impetus to prove or disprove its existence...it would be of no consequence to us whether this being existed or not.

    So saying that there is no way to prove or disprove God because its existence is "above reality", when the very nature of religion is to anchor the reality of God in earthly experience, is a contradiction...and when used by theists to dismiss evidence presented (or efforts to find evidence) against the likelihood of God's existence, it is an evasion.
    "If it weren't, we would have no impetus to prove or disprove its existence...it would be of no consequence to us whether this being existed or not."

    exactly my point. Let's put aside the simple-minded notion of "God" as a some sort of hocus-pocus spiritual entity and think of a more realistic possibility... if such a force existed, being responsible for creation of our reality as we know it, would need to be external to it and thus beyond our observation.

    similarly, interaction of said force with our universe wouldn't necessarily come in the form of scientifically unexplainable "miracles", as much as omnipotence-driven quantum physical determinism or the like. in other words, i think that although the classical description of God is unrealistic, I dont think we should put science on the other side of the coin because the idea of such a force becomes legitimate if you remove some of the commonly accepted parameters, and i dont think it's in our best interests to be pitted against idea that are entirely possible because people who are inclined towards more reason-devoid, sensationalist arguments have a viewpoint that is similar.

    it seems as though the concept of "God" (for lack of a better word) has been formed (watered down) in such a way that we can interact and possibly prove or disprove it. i say we put aside the arguments and consider the idea, but think bigger... and realize that there is no way we will ever know for sure.

  7. #57
    THREADKILLER Prototype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Denial...
    Subjectivity...
    Objectivity...
    Acceptance due to failure of faith...

    Sorry, that's all I have seen in this thread so far. Not one single fibrous offering to the inexplicable existence of God... Likely due to the idea that everything we know of, has challenging stigmas embedded within their own separate realities.

    Lets ignore the fact that the bible exists for a minute... It's a crutch.

    In light of the thread title, lets take the concept of "God"... and call it... Curiosity, in regards to our powerfully creative minds.

    The world was once thought to be flat... They were wrong!

    I'm not really willing to sit here and type out all the mythological jargon related to the ancient civilizations, and I don't care to much about getting into a strategic paradigmatic battle of wits within the walls of Religion Vs. Science... Why on Earth would I want to think backwards?...

    It's actually quite puzzling, to see how we managed to evolve forward by thinking backwards

    GOD?... It could be a manifestation, for the Gift and Order of Determination... It is, what it isn't.

    EDIT: Have an open mind, and consider my point whilst reading this thread... http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...reativity.html
    Last edited by Prototype; 08-14-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Because I'm a perfectionist!

  8. #58
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default The Rear Vision Mirror

    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    in regards to our powerfully creative minds.
    Creativity is purely a function of literacy.

    And right now, on the internet, we are moving into the noosphere.

    And the noosphere gives us presence - presence is a function of the noosphere.

    But as we drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror, all we see is creativity.

  9. #59
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Yes, because they had advanced telescope technology right? O wait.. nope. They didn't even have Crude telescopes, they mapped the first 5 planets by Eye.

    Okay I stopped, there is no point cause Sass dealt with'ya.


    You see the 11 planets around the Sun? one is the moon. Another is the 10th planet that NASA discovered 2 years ago.

    According to occam's razor... then this theory has more validity than the 10th version of big bang theory.

    But i understand, u want to hold on to your community of mainstream science security. u don't want to be alone... interesting? isn't it? life is a circle in more ways than one.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    According to occam's razor... then this theory has more validity than the 10th version of big bang theory.
    Lol Occam's Razor. Don't you ever use that phrase again. Ever!

Similar Threads

  1. Let's see how good you guys are
    By Anamalech in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
  2. I don't know how much more I can take.
    By Haphazard in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
  3. I really don't know how I feel about this...
    By Wade Wilson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Let's see how this goes...
    By whiteraven in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO