User Tag List

First 444525354555664 Last

Results 531 to 540 of 743

  1. #531
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default


  2. #532
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeonhee View Post
    God's foreknowledge does not entail necessity (because I know X, X will occur.), it remains only a logical possibility ("knowledge of everything that can be known") It does not coerce the event to occur. In this way, we are free by being free from coercion. Similarly, I can assume I know every logical possibility, but only one will remain true and the others false. I cannot change the future, but I can exercise my free will by changing what it could have been. Let's say I'm baking something, I can attempt to change how my baked cookies turn out, but I cannot change what it will be. It's a logical fallacy to assume that because I cannot change what will be, it cannot be changed from what it could be by my exercise of free will.


    Quote Originally Posted by Yeonhee View Post
    If you assume free will exists, then what is this nonsense about "necessity"? Free will allows evil to be a possible consequence, not a necessary consequence.
    ....

    You win.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  3. #533
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeonhee View Post
    Fruit in the bible =/= Fruit in your backyard. It doesn't matter if you weren't the one that ate the fruit, it's the act of not being with God that is the point. Fuck.
    I've got more than one problem with that story.
    So God creates humans with free will and puts them to a test. Actually he sets them up to fail. And is severely disappointed when the humans do fail. So disappointed that not only the culprits but also their children (who, at least according to modern(*) moral standards, are innocent) need to endure death and illness and all sorts of problems. Huh. Didn't he foresee that? Of did he WANT the humans to fail and be able to punish them? What a nice god.
    The Tree of Knowlegde. If I was Eve I would eat the fruit straight away. I'm just curious like that. I'm a bit disappointed that the only knowledge they get is that they are naked. Mmmkay. Nothing about the shape of the earth, about the fuel the sun is using, even nothing about basic argiculture which they could certainly use after they're cast out of Eden.
    Knowledge of Good and Evil, you say? Nothing scientific, only moral knowledge? There's a logical error in this. If Eve didn't know the difference between good and bad, she can't be bad when eating the fruit! The only thing which could stop her was God's warning. But, again, how could she know obeying God is good when she doesn't know the difference?? So not only the children, but also Eve and Adam are innocent.

    (*) I know it's an ancient story and doesn't have to represent modern moral standards. But I also know there are people who take it as the literal truth. They have these problems. There are also people who claim they take their morals from the Bible (or other ancient holy book). Either they are lying and only take the nice bits (according to what? What else than modern morals?), or they have an appalling morality.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  4. #534
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed that the only knowledge they get is that they are naked.
    It's not knowledge that they're naked, or moral knowledge of good and bad...it's fucking self-awareness. Eating from the tree of knowledge is what seperates humans from other animals.

    I say this not as a religious person, but to clarify what this is all about. I suppose if we were obedient we'd still be mindlessly in tune with nature like lions or bunny rabbits.

    So basically all this story does is make a myth for why we have more cerebral development than our mammalian cousins.

  5. #535
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    You win.
    Actually she doesn't win...but she did make me realize something. Her argument is that evil is a possible consequence of free will, but it doesn't necessitate evil. Essentially she's saying that evil is a creation of man, not god?

    Interesting...because in eating of the fruit of knowledge...that is, developing enough intellect to seperate ourselves from housecats and pigs...we (men) created the concept of evil to apply to perfectly natural things, like sex.

    Awesome. Thanks for inadvertantly pointing out just how much the Bible self-negates. It's as though the secret message in the Bible is, "HELLO HUMAN INTELLECT MADE ALL THIS UP." It's all there in chapter one.

    Suckers.

  6. #536
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    This is all making more and more sense to me...there's reason to all this. "God" is intellect...and the reason why intellect would put restraints on things like sexuality are pretty clear...because people who spend a lot of time reading and thinking tend to spend less time drinking and fucking. And if you don't have sex with more than one person, you don't get diseases...and that's smart in a primitive society. Not only that, but if you go all the way and are celebate and don't reproduce, you have all the more time to be scholarly.

    So, yes, in that way ...controlling sex benefits the intellect.

    It's why so many of the Jewish Old Testament laws are practical and can be applied to natural limitations and customs of the time period.

    Religion was an early form of intellectualism. Like I've suspected before, it was an evolutionary step in human civilization.

    Yes, yes.

  7. #537
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post


    I would blame it on the Ti, but the INFJs are so damn spiritually inclined...

    Still, it might have to do with the positioning of the Ti...

    I would assume the TPs are a highly atheistic bunch (possibly the most so of any group of four types)...

    But, then again, I think I've read that INTJs are one of the three most likely (if not the single most likely) types to report being atheistic, so...
    Well my Fe isnt very well educated, I'm like 80% secure when it comes to moving in society and following etiquette. This tho a thing one can learn. Then again when it comes to having emotions or noticing them, I think I'll never learn that. I am more like 30% enabled to use the Fe probably, but most things elude me.

    So when Ti in the third position would be the key factor to be more prone to spirituality, wouldnt that be like a joke in which you kid yourself ? I mean, the weaker the Ti, the stronger the belief ?

    I personally think that spirituality can only hardly be related to mbti, very faint maybe, but very hardly. To me it's more an educational thing. You'll see that most countries that are generally more spiritual have been so for decades. So it's more a thing that get passed on from generation to generation and if you see that a modern and enlightened country like America still has so many religious roots, you more and more can formulate the truth that being religious or not maybe isnt too much a thing of choice, but more a thing of education and how you learnt it.

    I hope this doesnt sound disrespectful cause I did not intend to do that. I never intend to mock religious people, I can respect them for their belief, just not understand them.

    I am no expert in history things but in Germany many years ago, there were 30 years of civil war. The believers of protestant religion from the North clashed with the catholic believers from the south and it took them 30 years of civil war to fight over which religion is the best. People ruined their lifes so much with this that they were left without homes, crops and anything + Black Death was making the round. When they reached the point of near extinction they decided to formulate a peace treaty at the Porta Westfalica which is about 30 miles from my place.

    Since that time, we still have a strong religious south in Germany, which is mostly catholic but a very weak protestant north / west and east. Since that time too, religion was tolerated but not really believed in no more. And followed by a lots of political changes and philosophical insights a time of great innovation followed and transformed the country into a highly industrial nation. What followed then were two World Wars and you can argue a lot now if the distance to religion may have determined this to happen, I'ld say it played a pivotal role in this.

    And now my point, I do not argue that many morales and life experiences from religion can help people very much. The image of living in an industrialized nation, where morales have gone down the hill, like the goblin capital in World of Warcraft is not what I want and I am glad idealistic people have gained a lot of influence in this country over the past 50 years. Many philosophical insights from the time before the WWs was possible because this country was secularized in a way where the military was primarily the state and then came a civil middle and then came long nothing and then religion. I wonder what would have happened if the 30 year long war never happened.

    You can of course now say, if the people would have staied religious, it would have never gotten bad, then again religion was the cause the war happened at all, so I do not know if the means really outweigh the cause.

    One thing is for sure tho, the definition of God is different for a guy who lives in Brazil, a guy who lives in America and a guy who lives in Europe and I therefore think religious people shouldnt go around waving a gun calling everyone an atheist who doesnt believe ion their definition of a God. I've said earlier that I am no atheist, I just dont like the christian religion. If I had to choose a religion, I'ld choose buddhism cause that's a religion I really like and I think it is necessary for a civilisation to survive to have some kind religion, or let's give it a more scientific name to have "some cause to believe in".
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #538
    Senior Member Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Im having a hard time believing in a God that does mistakes. A God that has to sacrifice a piece of himself to set things straight. But again, that might be our connection with him.

    And whats the appropriate punishment for eternal life in eden? There is none, any punishment is insignificant. He must forgive us, he must be. so then.. why did he not just say that we would be forgiven for fuck ups in the beginning?

    and so on, and so on i go.

    Just some of my thoughts.

  9. #539
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    This is all making more and more sense to me...there's reason to all this. "God" is intellect...and the reason why intellect would put restraints on things like sexuality are pretty clear...because people who spend a lot of time reading and thinking tend to spend less time drinking and fucking. And if you don't have sex with more than one person, you don't get diseases...and that's smart in a primitive society. Not only that, but if you go all the way and are celebate and don't reproduce, you have all the more time to be scholarly.

    So, yes, in that way ...controlling sex benefits the intellect.

    It's why so many of the Jewish Old Testament laws are practical and can be applied to natural limitations and customs of the time period.

    Religion was an early form of intellectualism. Like I've suspected before, it was an evolutionary step in human civilization.

    Yes, yes.
    I get the main point of what you're trying to say, but I don't think the word "intellectual" is the right one. The origins of religion weren't intellectual, but oral and ritual, and communal. Few were reading any of this per se, and much of it wasn't even compiled to resemble something close to a book until around the 5th century B.C.E. - and even then, the "intellectual" spin on things was the domain of priests and rabbis, while for everyone else it was a community oriented practice.

    Genesis in particular is just a composite work anyways. And some of the stories contained (like the creation story) just seem to have the purpose of subverting an older tradition and putting it in a new light. If they have an intellectual agenda, it's the promotion of their own peculiar brand of monotheism. Putting a new spin on an old tale. Some of these myths were already known in various ways in the ancient Mesopotamian world (such as in Babylonian accounts), and I can imagine people were telling something like them for millenia over campfires or even situations as mundane as a child asking a parent how the world was created. There's nothing intellectual about that. They were just humans trying to understand things like you and I. And the accounts in genesis were just another take on it, and probably circulated themselves for years in the same way the original Babylonian accounts did, where they were transmitted and hashed out in larger social contexts long before they were put in writing. That all said, you're probably right that it's all "made up", but I don't think it's original purpose was control. That's definitely what religion can be about now, but it's more complicated when we go back 6/7000 years.

  10. #540
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I am no expert in history things [...]
    That much is true, I am afraid.

Similar Threads

  1. Let's see how good you guys are
    By Anamalech in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
  2. I don't know how much more I can take.
    By Haphazard in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
  3. I really don't know how I feel about this...
    By Wade Wilson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Let's see how this goes...
    By whiteraven in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO