User Tag List

First 30383940414250 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Even if absolute norms do exist, we can't "prove" them, can we?
    I believe we cannot prove absolute norms (for the obvious reason). Some moral realists believe otherwise but fail at the task.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I have questioned my belief's more than you ever could...
    Then why are you whining so much?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm being forced to.

By whom?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

[YOUTUBE="ws66aAdthE0"][/YOUTUBE]

That much for the kid: If we had the same parents, you could not be my older brother.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    The obvious example of hypocrisy is that atheists condemn christians for living lives based upon illusions, but even though they may believe that they are grounded in the truth atheists do not live lives in accordance to the natural workings of their beliefs. That is they do try to live with a sense of meaning and purpose even though they beliefs would make it quite obvious that there is no meaning or purpose to life.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...

...whoa.

Hold on.

How is a universe with a god any more meaningful or purposeful than a universe without a god? How exactly are you going to turn "meaning" into something that exists outside of people's minds without fundamentally changing its definition? (Or using one of its other definitions like the synonym for "definition" definition)

Also, if you do change "meaning" into something external from the mind, then why does a god have to be the thing to make it exist in the universe? Why, if a proton or a triangle can exist without god, can meaning in this sense not also? (assuming you think anything can exist without a god)

figsfiggyfigs

I haven't read the entire thread, only a few post in the end. . .

Disco, you're allowing someone else's clashing beliefs effect your own negatively.
    Why do you even allow it to do so?
    Why should it matter if a Nic questions your faith, or discredits it?
    Isn't the whole point of faith is to continue believing in something no matter what others may say to discredit it?

Faith is the confident belief or trust in a person, idea, or thing that is not based on proof. -wiki
    You don't need to attack Nic on a personal basis. He is merely sharing his views, whether he sees the belief of god relative to the belief in Santa clause, or the tooth fairy.

Faith is not rational( in most cases anyways), although some might believe otherwise, and that is alright. You don't have to apply reason and logic to everything you believe in.

Disco, you are forgetting that there are people who do NOT believe in god, who believe in multiple gods, etc. Are they wrong because your beliefs don't coincide with theirs?

Nic, I understand your points of view, and I like that you are questioning things, this is how people learn.
    I also think you understand the concept of faith. Whether you share/accept it or not is a different story.

Tbh, I had a hard time believing in the concept myself initially. My current belief was set through personal experiences.

I do believe the belief in god is irrational to an extent, but thats the thing isn't it, It's easy to believe in something you can see.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

YWIR...

I'm only affected insofar as anything I discuss on the internet can affect me you know.....

And no I think you should believe in whatever you want to.

But you shouldn't belittle those whose beliefs are not your own.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    YWIR...

I'm only affected insofar as anything I discuss on the internet can affect me you know.....

And no I think you should believe in whatever you want to.

But you shouldn't belittle those whose beliefs are not your own.
    I don't necessarily believe he was belittling. I don't see it as belittling, I think Nic just does not understand why it exists.

When did he belittle it?