User Tag List

First 123451353 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 743

  1. #21
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    The probability of there actually existing a Christian-like God is astronomically low.

    So is the likeliness of one winning the lottery (though not nearly as low ), but obviously that doesn't stop people from just "knowing" that they've got the winning ticket, time and time again.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart View Post
    You claim to be addressing the Christian concept of God, but if you have any concept of that concept, you have not demonstrated such knowledge in your rant. (If a match were set to all your strawmen, the resulting conflagration could burn down a city block.)

    I recommend this book: Theology and Sanity by F. J. Sheed. Read and comprehend it; then, you might actually have an accurate idea of what you claim to be arguing against.

    The first edition is available on-line here: Theology and Sanity. Very odd formatting, though.
    Lol did you read my post? Did you have any 'concept of the concept' I was making? And do you know what a Strawman Fallacy is? Please demonstrate how I created a distorted view of the Christian concept of God, that being an All-knowing, All-powerfull Supernatural being that created our Universe, and by Definition has to be Outside of Time itself.

    Also, I'm not going to read a book about Theology, I have no reason to respect it.

  3. #23
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    The probability of there actually existing a Christian-like God is astronomically low.
    Wait, do you have a numerical figure on that?
    I'd like to write it down.

    And what calculations did you use to generate the probability?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #24
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    God exists in the love we share for people, the pride we share in things we enjoy, in the pain we feel when something bad happens to us. It is all part of out destiny to mold us into spiritually strong people, and those who can actually get a hand on it, can become one with God. And I don't mean the crowd you see every Sunday at the Catholic Church..no, this can be anyone. Buddhist, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism all basically are referring to the one divine God. The God that exists where I have stated it has. It runs deeper then anything you will ever learn in church, it is something you have to experience as an individual, and you have to grasp it, and bring it into your heart. And it will live there, the love, the Love that is overall God.

  5. #25
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    If God is a metaphor, She doesn't exist.

    For metaphors don't exist as they are comparisons of relationships.

    And although metaphors don't exist, they form the basis of everything else.

    After all, God's presence is only concealed by Her absence.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    God exists in the love we share for people, the pride we share in things we enjoy, in the pain we feel when something bad happens to us. It is all part of out destiny to mold us into spiritually strong people, and those who can actually get a hand on it, can become one with God. And I don't mean the crowd you see every Sunday at the Catholic Church..no, this can be anyone. Buddhist, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism all basically are referring to the one divine God. The God that exists where I have stated it has. It runs deeper then anything you will ever learn in church, it is something you have to experience as an individual, and you have to grasp it, and bring it into your heart. And it will live there, the love, the Love that is overall God.

  7. #27
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,696

    Default

    Since I am strong athesit I will join the show.

    I think that Didums is doing good job here.

    From what I know many people say that this entire god thing is actally about love.

    That is totally wrong aproach because if the god is so interested in love as those people say he is , he would have made many things in a much different way.

    Probaby the most obvious part in this argument is that, nuclear weapons should not be possible if their god created this reality.

    I am not finished but I will be back.

  8. #28
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    I reject religion because of The Big Picture. The Big Picture, to me, is starting chronologically at the beginning of the Universe and working your way to this point in time, scientifically of course. (If there are any errors in the science please forgive me lol)

    Singularity --> Big Bang due to high vaccum pressure --> Stars and Galaxies form over billions of years --> About 9 billion years into the Universe the Sun of our Solar System forms --> Very shortly after, the Earth forms (.05 billion years after) --> the bombardment of earth by asteroids, meteors, etc --> 0.14 to 1.84 billion years into Earth's existence, Abiogenesis brings primitive cells into existence (on its own, no help from God needed) --> For a few billion years these primitive cells become more complex and compete for survival --> transitional forms of cells arise, the transition being single-celled to multi-celled (no help from God needed) --> Multi-celled organisms arise and begin to spread and evolve --> Precambrian --> (okay this is taking a while and I think i'm making my point, i'll skip a bit) --> Homo Sapiens become a distict species in the Homo Genus (we arrived this way on our own, no help from God), also a few subspecies of Homo Sapiens come about but go extinct (they came after us but died out) --> Homo Sapiens spread from Africa to the rest of the world --> We adapt differently to the environments of the world (had our species been isolated we would have branched off from each other, Asians, Caucasians, etc) --> Each culture has its own religious explanation for our origins --> (blah blah the idea is made)

    Why, after all of this, does God decide, "hey, those homo sapiens over there are sinful and need to be moral according to my rules"? Why does God put himself in human form in some remote desert part of Earth to die for our sins that weren't committed (Adam and Eve never existed and never 'sinned' against God)? Why after all this time, with all these organisms over billions of years, does God decide that its about time for him to show himself? Why didn't he show himself to the other Highly-Conscious beings that existed in the Homo Genus? What about people that never hear the word of Jesus, are they forgiven for their imaginary sin, you would think that if he was a decent and intelligent God he would show himself to everyone at once to prove his existence? What happens to other organisms in general, when they die do they just cease to exist, saved from hell but exempt from heaven?

    Why does God make a heaven and hell for us when the place that we go to is predetermined? God is Omnipotent, All-knowing, and Outside of Time itself, he would already know where we would go to by definition, we have no choice, people like me are doomed to eternal hellfire, do you understand? If we had a choice in what to believe, then the God wouldn't be God, because he wouldn't Know our every thought and what we would decide so that would make him Not All-knowing, A God that doesn't know everything isn't God. If God exists outside of Time, then our existence means nothing to him, the entire history of the Universe could be over in the snap of the finger to God, its like he would have a Tivo remote, he could rewind, pause, fast forward, skip to the end, everything predetermined by the show he was watching that he created, the Universe could exist for .00001 of a second to him, why would he care for a species that arose on earth for a fraction of existence in the history of the Universe. All of that makes no sense though, because the concept of Time is being applied to God! A God outside of Time cannot exist in this way, it is literally un-thinkable, our brains are wired to understand the concept of time, where there is no time it is non-existence to us, our consciousness makes up time, if the atoms in my body were scattered somewhere else in the Universe they would be indifferent to time's existence, they would interact with time but time wouldn't Mean anything to them. If God existed in his own sense of Time outside our Universe (whatever "outside our universe" may mean..) wouldn't he have to be physically comprised of something to exist? If God was Physically comprised of something, in a sense of time, would he be Outside our Universe? Wouldn't those things be applied to Our Universe?

    I have yet to have any theist give me a plausible account for the existence of God. I have no reason to believe in God via personal experience. I have no reason to believe in God via the logic that is instilled in my consiousness, if I had a different thought process (different sense of logic) then maybe I would.







    Edit: This is pretty much addressing Christianity exclusively.

    the big bang theory has changed many times over the years.

    from an objective viewpoint, its just as unbelievable that I descended from an earthworm, as it is an all mighty being created me.

    There is more evidence of humans being descended from aliens who arrived from outer space, than the big bang theory.

    If you study the history of Sumerians, Nibiru (the 10th planet nasa found 2 years ago), and Akkadians, there is far more scientific evidence we came from aliens, than an earthworm.

    Yet science refuses to acknowledge this hypothesis that has greater scientific evidence. Now that to me is funny. The theory of Nibiru has farrr more scientific evidence than the big bang theory origin of humans.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    the big bang theory has changed many times over the years.

    from an objective viewpoint, its just as unbelievable that I descended from an earthworm, as it is an all mighty being created me.

    There is more evidence of humans being descended from aliens who arrived from outer space, than the big bang theory.

    If you study the history of Sumerians, Nibiru (the 10th planet nasa found 2 years ago), and Akkadians, there is far more scientific evidence we came from aliens, than an earthworm.

    Yet science refuses to acknowledge this hypothesis that has greater scientific evidence. Now that to me is funny. The theory of Nibiru has farrr more scientific evidence than the big bang theory origin of humans.

  10. #30
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    ^ seriously tho.

    btw, don't read all that nibiru, sumerians, zacharia stuff unless u want to be disoriented for a few days. if u have an important event comin up, by all means, we came from from an amoeba and electricity.

    it just trips me out the Sumerians knew that there was a 10th planet, 6000 years before NASA did.

Similar Threads

  1. Let's see how good you guys are
    By Anamalech in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
  2. I don't know how much more I can take.
    By Haphazard in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
  3. I really don't know how I feel about this...
    By Wade Wilson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Let's see how this goes...
    By whiteraven in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO