User Tag List

First 19272829303139 Last

Results 281 to 290 of 743

  1. #281
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Smile Art and Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I suppose you would then argue that all art is by nature propaganda?
    The comparisons you draw are frequently nonsensical. The problem with shoe-horning poetic language into discourse, is that it fails as poetry and as discourse.
    All art found its origins in religion. So art was originally religious. But as we matured as a civilization, art emancipated itself from religion.

    However art mirrors its origins in that both religion and art depend on the suspension of disbelief.

    However by continuing to insult myself and others, you risk being banned.

  2. #282
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Smile Poetry and Prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    The comparisons you draw are frequently nonsensical. The problem with shoe-horning poetic language into discourse, is that it fails as poetry and as discourse.
    Print separated poetry and prose, but the electronic internet brings them together in a fruitful marriage.

  3. #283
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    He created because He is love and wanted other beings to enjoy what he had the ability to provide.
    According to your interpretation, he is also vanity. But if he is indeed love and if he wants to spread enjoyment, why did he make his creations so violent, the nature of this world so hostile - and why are there no happy people living on the moon? If this gift is so great, why are there so few gifted with it? Most importantly, though, why did he want "other beings to enjoy what he had the ability to provide"? Please keep in mind that he has the ability to provide just about everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    If God is part of your community. He's not some impersonal thing sitting in the corner watching as you and your friends play.
    I have never seen him anywhere. You must be hallucinating.

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    His name's at stake. That's pretty big one would think? The Devil made some implications about His right to rule over human beings. At the same time, he implied that each of us, if it came between God and our own lives, we'd deny God.
    His name is at stake in his own fucking universe? Are you kidding me?

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Then what's the point of allowing you to live? See the first point. He could have destroyed those two, and the devil, and started over, or just let it be, but he chose not to.
    There is no point. It makes no sense for him to let a failed experiment go on, especially if his intention was to share with his creation the gift of love.

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    This questions says more about you than it does the book. Have you really asked Him to help you understand it? Have you even read it, or basing your opinions on what others have said about it? You could be letting your eternal future play out based on somebody else's opinion. He hates people who aren't humble and actually makes it impossible for you to understand what you are reading.
    I take it that you still have no answer. Not surprising. You may want to reflect about the reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Your opinion.
    No, I simply assigned the proper word to your description.

  4. #284
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    On the other hand, considering the original post and title of the thread, God isnt plausible, I mean if God where plausible would it still be God?

  5. #285
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    On the other hand, considering the original post and title of the thread, God isnt plausible, I mean if God where plausible would it still be God?
    Yes. But the notion that god is nonsense is accurate as well.

  6. #286
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    I think it is totally plausible for God to exist as the Christians describe. But the fact is, if they are right, he's someone I don't want to be associated with.

  7. #287
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    According to your interpretation, he is also vanity. But if he is indeed love and if he wants to spread enjoyment, why did he make his creations so violent, the nature of this world so hostile - and why are there no happy people living on the moon? If this gift is so great, why are there so few gifted with it? Most importantly, though, why did he want "other beings to enjoy what he had the ability to provide"? Please keep in mind that he has the ability to provide just about everything.


    I have never seen him anywhere. You must be hallucinating.


    His name is at stake in his own fucking universe? Are you kidding me?


    There is no point. It makes no sense for him to let a failed experiment go on, especially if his intention was to share with his creation the gift of love.


    I take it that you still have no answer. Not surprising. You may want to reflect about the reasons.


    No, I simply assigned the proper word to your description.
    On my way out for the evening. I'll look to reply later, if not, tomorrow.

  8. #288
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Print separated poetry and prose, but the electronic internet brings them together in a fruitful marriage.
    The premise does not support the conclusion.

  9. #289
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    All art found its origins in religion. So art was originally religious. But as we matured as a civilization, art emancipated itself from religion.

    However art mirrors its origins in that both religion and art depend on the suspension of disbelief.

    However by continuing to insult myself and others, you risk being banned.
    I won't be banned for asking you questions, or for making judgements as to the clarity of your posts. Please consider recalibrating your sense of what is insulting. I agree with the rest of your statement, taken at face value...

    I think this discussion is out of place in this thread, so I'll say goodbye.

  10. #290
    Senior Member Blown Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Posts
    280

    Default

    To approach the issue of God's existence is to assume your own sovereignty and not Gods'. To ask the question "Does God exist?" is ultimately foolish and a waste of time because His existence (or lack thereof, hypothetically) is a matter of truth and spirituality not your own conclusions.

    Instead, seek God Himself. If you do not find Him, then it is of no [further] consequence that you haven't.

    "What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator. Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong!' Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be?"

    Seek God Himself. To seek to define God by your own presuppositions is to take the place of God and all you will end up with is worthless idols of your own creation.

    Humanity has been doing this since the dawn of time, with each generation earnestly believing they will succeed where the last has failed. Such is the effect of the original lie and the fall of man. Man has fallen and cannot get back up on his own.

    How can one who has fallen get back up? Can he lift himself back up on his own? No, for he is still in the state that caused him to fall. Only if another comes and picks him up can he stand again.

    Man has fallen from God by our own folly, which was capitalized upon not by the creator Himself but the creator of lies.


    Anyone who says he is never wrong is a liar, and has been lied to. Look around. You see the deception of others, do you not know you've also been deceived? Of course not, because the deception is effective. I will not lie to you, I am also deceived. I am even now in a state of self-deception of my state of deception which I struggle to free myself from to no avail.

    I was born a wolf, and at best I am a goat, now my only hope is to be a lamb. Do as I do, not to free yourself, but to change your mind and seek God, the one you have fallen from. Why do you lay on the ground and gather together dirt to make your own god? Look and see that He has bent Himself to you graciously to pick you up. No, in fact He has cast Himself on the ground for you to fall upon. Such is the God you seek: He blessed you in your creation, but you spit in His face and run away, and yet He still seeks to save you from your own self-destruction. You run away from Him to your own suffering and destruction but He remains unchanging in His love, never forcing, but asking that you turn back... not to place the penalty you know you deserve on your head but to forgive and forget. God is here, He is very real, and if you want to understand Him you must see that He is seeking a relationship with you before the rest of it makes sense. If I say "seek God Himself" and you say "how?", you should know, God knows the number of hair you have (for bald people that's not so impressive I understand). You are an infant in knowledge in comparison, so speak, aloud or in silence, and start asking for Him. Be persistent in asking, be annoying, inconvenience God with all that you ask for... this is far preferable to Him than your life so far of ignoring/ignorance.

    Why do you trade eternal gifts which would be given to you freely if you would only take them? Instead you opt for empty intellectualizing and philosophy. Even a rock has more intelligence than you, it does not deny its Creator. All that you are seeking to do now bears the mark of the first lie: that you would establish yourself apart from your maker. But unlike the angels, you are made in the image of your maker, and your maker has such love for you that He bears with your lie in hopes you find the Truth that is only in Him. He waits for you 24/365. If you want the truth, I will say it again, seek God Himself. I cannot do anything for you because I am just like you, but I can point you in the right direction. I say that not because I know the truth with absolution, but I have found it in Jesus (God's incarnation on earth... carne, like chili con carne, God with meat) and I would be a liar to not tell you that.

Similar Threads

  1. Let's see how good you guys are
    By Anamalech in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
  2. I don't know how much more I can take.
    By Haphazard in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
  3. I really don't know how I feel about this...
    By Wade Wilson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Let's see how this goes...
    By whiteraven in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO