User Tag List

First 1018192021223070 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 743

  1. #191
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    I know sin can be variable for different faiths, but since we're talking about the Christian God I recognize sin as an infringement on divine law/moral law which is influenced by divine law. This is rejecting god because he defined good and evil. Unless I've misunderstood the Christian god, his will is almighty and so to infringe upon his divine laws would be within his will. If he wasn't aware of each individual's path or agenda, then he wouldn't be god. A creator of everything should have to know everything about that everything.
    If this is true why is it bad?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #192
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Ok I misread, although I think your overall argument is still flawed. For example you mentioned this:

    That's assuming that God doesn't actually want these people to be "angels"(saints would be a more correct term). God does actually want them to join him in heaven, but he's not going to force anybody to do this. So I fail to see how the game is rigged, since God presents us with plenty of oppurtunities to seek repentence and reconciliation for the sins we've committed.
    This makes God look too passive to be...God. Also that's an assumption in itself; to say his desire is for us to join him in heaven. If God wanted to create the universe and did that then what is stopping him from not being so direct with his desire for our participation with him in the afterlife, and our adherence to his definition of good and evil (and all that falls under those categories)? The game would necessarily be rigged because the creator is the means to the start of everything.

    maybe I'm missing your point. I'm only reiterating mine, really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater
    If this is true why is it bad?
    why would his limited knowledge be bad? It's bad because it seems to be a prerequisite for pure creation. If we're discussing creation from absolute scratch, knowledge of all of the individual pieces is necessary, whether they be material or abstract ideas/thoughts.

  3. #193
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I don't know, but the Great Flood, the plagues on Egypt, driving "his people" to war all of the time, Sodom and Gamorrah and things of that sort don't exactly strike me as NICE

    also, the concept of Hell disturbs me... I couldn't damn someone eternally and I sure as hell refuse to beleive in a god who's meaner than I am
    "You just don't understand S&M love"

    I don't think the claims of people sub contracting their self esteem through some kind of wierd memetic pyramid scheme should be taken utterly seriously in the first place.
    I mean, it's not like children are treated any better, and THEY have the excuse of little experience, cultural endoctrination, wetware based poor judgment etc.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  4. #194
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    This makes God look too passive to be...God. Also that's an assumption in itself; to say his desire is for us to join him in heaven. If God wanted to create the universe and did that then what is stopping him from not being so direct with his desire for our participation with him in the afterlife, and our adherence to his definition of good and evil (and all that falls under those categories)? The game would necessarily be rigged because the creator is the means to the start of everything.

    maybe I'm missing your point. I'm only reiterating mine, really.
    So God should just come forward and fix all your problems?

  5. #195
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So God should just come forward and fix all your problems?
    I'd rather have santa. Imaginary mass murderers claiming to be my daddy just aren't my thing. Call me strange.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  6. #196
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I'd rather have santa. Imaginary mass murderers claiming to be my daddy just aren't my thing. Call me strange.
    I'll just call you a Village Atheist.

  7. #197
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'll just call you a Village Atheist.
    As if changing the size of the sample made you look any less profoundly delusional.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  8. #198
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So God should just come forward and fix all your problems?
    Well, he could just come forward. But It's not possible for God to come out from just over the horizon because he would have to leave the realm of the supernatural.

  9. #199
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    As if changing the size of the sample made you look any less profoundly delusional.
    Sophistry as only a Frenchman could perform. Bravo!

  10. #200
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    you misunderstood the question. Even if it is "rigged" why is it bad?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Similar Threads

  1. Let's see how good you guys are
    By Anamalech in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
  2. I don't know how much more I can take.
    By Haphazard in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
  3. I really don't know how I feel about this...
    By Wade Wilson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Let's see how this goes...
    By whiteraven in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO