User Tag List

First 12341252 Last

MBTI
    istp

i dont see why anyone would waste time trying to prove or disprove the concept of a being that is, by definition, above reality as we know it

this is the real mystery.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    That doesn't follow either. For example: If God is the force making the protons and neutrons go round then that does affect us very much.
    What motion of the protons and neutrons are you referring to? The electromagnetic force provides the electron orbitals, and gravity causes clumps of atoms to orbit common centers of mass with other clumps of atoms. The protons and neutrons themselves don't do a lot of moving in relation to anything subatomic.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    What motion of the protons and neutrons are you referring to? The electromagnetic force provides the electron orbitals, and gravity causes clumps of atoms to orbit common centers of mass with other clumps of atoms. The protons and neutrons themselves don't do a lot of moving in relation to anything subatomic.
    Yeah the electromagnetic force itself. Mind you, I am not saying this IS God, I don't worry that much about evidence for or against God, I am more with Grayscale, I am just saying that proving madmade definitons of God invalid doesn't prove the existience of God invalid.

It is more the notion of giving any kind of official authority, like organized religion, the ability to define something totally unknowable and with such limitless possiblities, like people are willfully placing their heads into boxes or something. It drives me nuts to see it. If they do it with the religion issue, then they must do it in other areas of their lives, allowing authority to say "It's either A or B, pick one and move on to your predetermined philosopy on life!"

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Why are you making that connection? If God exists, then why assume that anyone here on Earth has the true/pure scoop on God? These two things don't follow.
    I said I wasn't making a dichotomy, its just 2 of the more likely options.

Maybe humans want to make God into something they can understand, so in that way they "made God up" but what if God as God exists is not understandable by humans at our current level of perception and awareness. That's just one of endless possiblities.
    Yes, but the idea is that We Made Up the Concept, our perception can be blinding us.

That doesn't follow either. For example: If God is the force making the protons and neutrons go round then that does affect us very much.
    What? God is the Four Forces?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Yes, but the idea is that We Made Up the Concept, our perception can be blinding us.
    Yes, this is my point. Our perceptions are limited.

What? God is the Four Forces?
    Geez, my whole point is we can't know or not know!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Welcome to the cutting edge of theoretical physics. "Magic man done it" doesn't explain anything.
    Welcome to answering a question with irrelevant spew.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i dont see why anyone would waste time trying to prove or disprove the concept of a being that is, by definition, above reality as we know it

Yes this is the real mystery, and science is doing a pretty good job of explaining the mystery. The Concept of God isn't above reality, it is in our reality, what the concept deals with is above reality, things above reality are of no concern to the things In reality.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Edit: This is pretty much addressing Christianity exclusively.
    You claim to be addressing the Christian concept of God, but if you have any concept of that concept, you have not demonstrated such knowledge in your rant. (If a match were set to all your strawmen, the resulting conflagration could burn down a city block.)

I recommend this book: Theology and Sanity by F. J. Sheed. Read and comprehend it; then, you might actually have an accurate idea of what you claim to be arguing against.

The first edition is available on-line here: Theology and Sanity. Very odd formatting, though.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post

Same thoughts here.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart View Post
    You claim to be addressing the Christian concept of God, but if you have any concept of that concept, you have not demonstrated such knowledge in your rant. (If a match were set to all your strawmen, the resulting conflagration could burn down a city block.)

I recommend this book: Theology and Sanity by F. J. Sheed. Read and comprehend it; then, you might actually have an accurate idea of what you claim to be arguing against.

The first edition is available on-line here: Theology and Sanity. Very odd formatting, though.
    There is no single christian concept of god as christianity isn't a single religion. Christianity is a big tent full of smaller incompatible religions which are oriented around the figure of Jesus Christ in some way. That book only represents one person's version of christianity.