User Tag List

First 614151617182666 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 743

  1. #151
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think its very easy to predict how the world would be without God, since we live in a world without God, neuro-psychologists have gone so far as to suggest that the mind of a modern individual is soft and hard wired differently to that of, say, a medieval individual, with respect of a number of things but specifically with respect to God and belief.

    So objectively speaking, while it may have always been difficult to believe in God (indeed interpretations of the creation story exist which suggest it is a metaphor for how doubt has mastered mankind), it is more difficult than it has ever been as a consequence of an objectively athiestic culture and social order.
    They may have a point that it was certainly harder to be an atheist when the church avidly persecuted the "ungodly", but there are obviously considerable differences between the living situations now vs. the dark ages that have nothing to do with god, making the comparison a little difficult.

    I dont believe that people would become beasts without God, there are substitutes for Godliness or Godly morality which people have successfully applied to prevent it being so, on the other hand it is a little like choosing to walk when you have a car to drive in instead, life can be lived with ease and its a matter of choice. However, for those that find the idea of God and any consequent/contingent obligations or norms a burden it may indeed be because they do not wish to or can not accept any authority higher than themselves and that conceit, which may not even be conscious, is one possible explanation for their belief system.
    Still stuck on the idea that finding god a "burden" is the main reason for not believing. I disagree - although it would be a burden in some ways, I don't think that is the main reason or even a large one.
    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    If athiests don't believe in God, than something else takes place of that spot that belongs to God. Human beings are built with a need to believe in something. So if you don't believe in God, and you belive in science, that's your God, you'll produce the fruits of your God. Science lacks the feeling/humanitarian factor, which makes it unfulfilling.
    I don't think humans were "built with" that need - that's your own perspective bleeding out, not fact. God and science are not a dichotomy (many choose both, or neither). Science is more of a methodology than a belief system, so of course it applies in fewer areas than religion. Disbelieving in god doesn't mean you lack the feeling/humanitarian "factor", as you imply. Plenty of atheists are involved in charity and foreign aid projects.

    I'm not saying the world would be better or worse without God, as I still don't think we can predict that with our current level of knowledge. What you're saying about non-believers is actually not true though, based on the facts.
    -end of thread-

  2. #152
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, belief in ourselves, foremost.
    Can't be if we are incomplete by nature. We have a built in dependency on other humans beings and something more reliable than ourselves.

  3. #153
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That spot belongs to the meaning of life. It can be occupied by everything that is able to fool you into believing that it is worthwhile.
    That I agree wtih. The meaning of life isn't with God's will for a person?

  4. #154
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    I don't think humans were "built with" that need - that's your own perspective bleeding out, not fact. God and science are not a dichotomy (many choose both, or neither). Science is more of a methodology than a belief system, so of course it applies in fewer areas than religion. Disbelieving in god doesn't mean you lack the feeling/humanitarian "factor", as you imply. Plenty of atheists are involved in charity and foreign aid projects.

    I'm not saying the world would be better or worse without God, as I still don't think we can predict that with our current level of knowledge. What you're saying about non-believers is actually not true though, based on the facts.
    My belief is based on the Bible. Matthew 5:3- Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need You need it just as much, if not worse, than food or water, to be truly happy.

  5. #155
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    That I agree wtih. The meaning of life isn't with God's will for a person?
    Attorney: So does this theory of evolution necessarily mean that there is no god?
    Frink: No, of course not. It just says that god is an impotent nothing from nowhere with less power than the undersecretary of agriculture, who has very little power in our system.

  6. #156
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    My belief is based on the Bible. Matthew 5:3- Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need You need it just as much, if not worse, than food or water, to be truly happy.
    Yes, that is what I am saying....you are assuming the bible is accurate, and I don't think it's fair to do so in applying motivations to people who don't think the bible is accurate. The bible is a set of belief systems, not facts. You're stating things as though they were universal facts when they are actually just statements from the bible.
    -end of thread-

  7. #157
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Clash of the Paradigms.

  8. #158
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Attorney: So does this theory of evolution necessarily mean that there is no god?
    Frink: No, of course not. It just says that god is an impotent nothing from nowhere with less power than the undersecretary of agriculture, who has very little power in our system.
    Objection!

  9. #159
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Yes, that is what I am saying....you are assuming the bible is accurate, and I don't think it's fair to do so in applying motivations to people who don't think the bible is accurate. The bible is a set of belief systems, not facts. You're stating things as though they were universal facts when they are actually just statements from the bible.
    I'm stating the principle that you are truly happy when you have both physical and spiritual needs met. Principles are universal truths.

    If you feel that way ( there are billions who don't ) examine the actual statement and test for yourself.

  10. #160
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Objection!
    Shall we call Colonel Brady?

Similar Threads

  1. Let's see how good you guys are
    By Anamalech in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
  2. I don't know how much more I can take.
    By Haphazard in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
  3. I really don't know how I feel about this...
    By Wade Wilson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Let's see how this goes...
    By whiteraven in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO