User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do you think the developed world is over-sexualised?

I wasn't sure where to put this. At first I thought the adult forum, but actually I'm wanting to discuss more the effect on society rather than the act itself. If it's in the wrong place, by all means, please move it.

Do you consider this blatant emphasis on sex in our society is an issue or not? Do you think it makes people more focused on materialism and hedonism and less focused on higher ideals? Or do you just think it's an innocuous thing, completely harmless and a natural part of the human psyche?

For me personally, while I see it as a natural human process of affection, I do think it's over-used as a motivation in our society. I think it puts a lot of undue pressure on people to perform by being seen as desirable, successful and worthy in terms of this one human activity, rather than in terms of other activities. There seems to be this implicit ideal that one is successful when one has money and a desirable partner. I think it's what drives people to post thousands of selfies all over the internet, in a bid to receive attention and be compared to others doing the same thing. Online dating becomes a competitive process of attempting to procure the most popular person or the most msgs to an Inbox. And I think most damaging of all, it distracts people from finding growth and achievement by failing to reach for ideals beyond just these two things.

I've been doing a lot of internal processing lately, and this subject has come for me, hence my various competing thoughts on the subject. But I'm interested in how others view this too.

I would say yes. It annoys me that most popular female singers dress like whores and get attention that way. But that's freedom I guess. People don't actually appreciate music but boobs and butts.
    "A negative mind will never give you a positive life." http://bosniannames.com/
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I think it's a problem when a sexualised actress/actor or singer gets a massive amount of success by exploiting their sexual appeal, but there are those in the same profession making less money and getting less recognition, despite them being arguably far more talented.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.
    Likes Wistful Muffin liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I don't think it's a problem. In reality though, it's more that I just don't care.

So long as I am not forced to expected to act sexualized then it's "meh" to me.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Chanaynay, Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    I think it's a problem when a sexualised actress/actor or singer gets a massive amount of success by exploiting their sexual appeal, but there are those in the same profession making less money and getting less recognition, despite them being arguably far more talented.
    I agree with the premise of the OP, and with this.

One of the things that bugs me is the expectation other women are supposed to support female celebs who are scantily clad as a selling point. KimK did it, Ariana Grande's now doing it, etc. When we as women aren't supporting it, we're anti-feminist, pro-evil "patriarchy", and what other crap.
    Likes Obsidius liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Do you consider this blatant emphasis on sex in our society is an issue or not? Do you think it makes people more focused on materialism and hedonism and less focused on higher ideals? Or do you just think it's an innocuous thing, completely harmless and a natural part of the human psyche?
    Yes and no on all questions, I guess. I believe there are people who are self-aware, who will not fall prey to materialism no matter how much it's promoted. I also think there are people who are not self-aware, who will be very affected and will try to emulate what they see on the media. I think it's more important to teach young people to be self-aware and know real self-worth from the beginning.
    4w5 sp/sx EII
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Considering that, as animals on earth, our only purpose in life is to procreate, I would say the developed world in particular is almost comically desexualized.
    Likes Gamine, Chanaynay liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yes, and i think it fucks up people, some more than others.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't feel so much that the 'developed world' is over-sexualized, since sex is a large part of the human experience. I just feel like I feel like most other things blaring in my face, that it's blaring in my face and I get bored by it, and enforcing an image of any human experience in the way that we do, in the attempt to mass sell something must have harmful effects.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Considering that, as animals on earth, our only purpose in life is to procreate, I would say the developed world in particular is almost comically desexualized.