User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    STP

On the same note. I feel bad when someone hooks up and doesn't get as much or the sex they want. Just as i feel bad when someone does not get the social interaction they want. Or whatever else they want. Its all about finding people who mesh in regard to what's enjoyed the most in life, not judging people on what they enjoy.

As someone who has went through periods...months and months...of having sex 3, 4, 5 times a day I am far from materialistic, hedonistic, and all the other things people pin on those who like sex. I still have a life outside of sex. It's actually the people who lack what they want that cause more issues, not the people who are content and happy. Prefer binge sex to binge TV watching.
    Im out, its been fun

Yes I absolutely think its over sexualised.

I tend to think that its infantilising of any culture that it happens in, people develop a kind of myopic approach to life or exploit others myopic approach to life.

Even the scandals about organised and epic scale sexual abuse of children and vulnerable adults by secular or religious institutions doesnt seem to have been able to counter the cultural underpinnings of that kind of behaviour. I hear a lot of people say that this is only the sinister, insidious, shadow of a lot of healthy trends but I tend not to believe so and most of the individuals who are part of the on going permissive and "sex positive" movements are actually living some pretty awful sex lives themselves.

Worst of it all is the commodification of sexuality and sexual behaviour, the objectifying of individuals and exploitation of vulnerability or even normal trust between individuals is absolutely evil and so many other things can be traced to that same root or growth. I remember reading about freud's psychosexual ideas and the neo-freudian's pscyhosocial revisionism and thinking that there was a greater inter weaving of both with each other than either of them could have supposed or would have supposed.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yes I absolutely think its over sexualised.

I tend to prefer more intimate relationships vs. an approach that focuses solely on sex, but that's not really for everyone. Some people prefer different things, and that's ok.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    I tend to prefer more intimate relationships vs. an approach that focuses solely on sex, but that's not really for everyone. Some people prefer different things, and that's ok.
    Did you change your username?

I'm trying to figure out if I know you or why you seem to be responding to my posts specifically on this forum.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Did you change your username?

I'm trying to figure out if I know you or why you seem to be responding to my posts specifically on this forum.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Yes, well, I do find what seems like disproportionate attention to my posts to be odd behaviour.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Yes, well, I do find what seems like disproportionate attention to my posts to be odd behaviour.
    I don't understand what was wrong with replying to you. Were you hoping someone else would reply?

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Do you consider this blatant emphasis on sex in our society is an issue or not? Do you think it makes people more focused on materialism and hedonism and less focused on higher ideals? Or do you just think it's an innocuous thing, completely harmless and a natural part of the human psyche?

For me personally, while I see it as a natural human process of affection, I do think it's over-used as a motivation in our society. I think it puts a lot of undue pressure on people to perform by being seen as desirable, successful and worthy in terms of this one human activity, rather than in terms of other activities.
    I do think it is an issue. Part of the problem is that the way sex is presented in many public contexts (e.g. advertising, entertainment, even sports) has nothing to do with affection, love, emotional connection with another human, or anything resembling a process at all. (Unless the process is some PUA strategy to get sex.) It is presented superficially, cheaply, objectifying and demeaning both the humans involved and the beauty and intimacy of the act itself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Oaky liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I do think it is an issue. Part of the problem is that the way sex is presented in many public contexts (e.g. advertising, entertainment, even sports) has nothing to do with affection, love, emotional connection with another human, or anything resembling a process at all. (Unless the process is some PUA strategy to get sex.) It is presented superficially, cheaply, objectifying and demeaning both the humans involved and the beauty and intimacy of the act itself.
    Just as I would hesitate to paint sex as base, dirty, and animalistic, I would also hesitate to romanticize it and imply that affectionate and intimate sex is the ideal standard.

I'm in agreement with @Poki that sex is something neutral that people have started to attach too much value to (as well as linking it to their self-worth). I'm inclined to agree with @five sounds that commercialization have caused many to see it as something of a biologically-endorsed status symbol...which really only makes the gender double-standards even more bizarre.

Speaking of bizarre double-standards, is society/the fashion-marketing industry having some dissonance over its simultaneous ephebophilia and desire to protect girlish purity yet?

I think there is an awful lot of false advertising going on.