• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mind Wandering:A different perspective

Daenera

Rogue heart
So I came across this article and would like to read you thoughts about it:
Mind Wandering: A New Personal Intelligence Perspective | Beautiful Minds, Scientific American Blog Network

In short this article talks about:The meaning and benefits of deeply personal conceptualization of intelligence vs . traditional theories of intelligence that emphasize cognitive control, deliberate planning, and decontextualized problem solving as the essence of human intelligence.
In other words it explains how mind wandering can be productive, besides being another crucial element of intelligence:
Most recent studies depict mind wandering as a costly cognitive failure with relatively few benefits (Mooneyham and Schooler, 2013). This perspective makes sense when mind wandering is observed by a third party and when costs are measured against externally imposed standards such as speed or accuracy of processing, reading fluency or comprehension, sustained attention, and other external metrics.

There is, however, another way of looking at mind wandering, a personal perspective, if you will. For the individual, mind wandering offers the possibility of very real, personal reward, some immediate, some more distant.
Another key implication is that sometimes behavior that appears “unintelligent” measured by external standards may actually be quite intelligent as judged by its relevance to achieving personally meaningful goals. Importantly, these different ways of being “smart” can conflict with each other.

Daily life often demands that we choose one information stream or the other. For instance, in a decontextualized educational context, or in a cognitive psychology experiment, the ability to concentrate on a task requires silencing the inner chatter. Vice versa, when we would like to dip into our inner stream of consciousness, we must block out our external percepts.

In the context of the article I employed my personal intelligence and thought of you Magic Qwan. :tongue: ;) (I can't tag you for some reason :unsure:)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I came across this article and would like to read you thoughts about it:
Mind Wandering: A New Personal Intelligence Perspective | Beautiful Minds, Scientific American Blog Network

In short this article talks about:The meaning and benefits of deeply personal conceptualization of intelligence vs . traditional theories of intelligence that emphasize cognitive control, deliberate planning, and decontextualized problem solving as the essence of human intelligence.
In other words it explains how mind wandering can be productive, besides being another crucial element of intelligence:

In the context of the article I employed my personal intelligence and thought of you Magic Qwan. :tongue: ;) (I can't tag you for some reason :unsure:)

Unfortunately, you cannot live on daydreams alone.