User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Uhhhhh......

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    There's high and there's higher... the mirror test is only the beginning... as has been mentioned before, great apes, whales, elephants, etc. don't have the same ability to self-criticize.
    Yes but they are on their way! Planet of the Apes I say!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    There are not destinations beyond or before death?

Maybe SPs are the smartest, live in the moment?
    Well that is tough to say, the organized matter in your brain right now may very well have been in an organized state once before (the matter in your head could have been organized in the form of an Ant's brain for instance, also this is purely hypothetical lol), however it is of no importance because you would have no recollection of the previous organized state because the information it held was lost when the organism deteriorated.

As for SPs, living in the current moment is smart if it has no negative implications on your future. However, it is smart to take out a little time in the current moment to create a positive future for one's self. There has to be balance. Too much for yourself now and your future may suck, too much for your future and the present will be unbearably stressfull.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I'd amend this... "nothing that composes "you" will ever cease to be." But "you" and your "consciousness" will cease to be, since consciousness is an emergent property of the interactions of those energies, which lose that patterned set of interactions upon the death of the individual.
    Urgh, every argument leads back to determinism...
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INFP

Is life the journey or the destination?
    Let us say that the destination to which you refer is a goal of some sort.

Given that, life is in the journey.. teleporting from point A to point B sidesteps all of the pain, lessons, and struggle that make arriving at point B so spectacular. In fact.. the pain, lessons and struggle are what make point B point B!

If you teleport from A to B, B is really A, because you are still the you that was at point A, and as the saying goes, a man never crosses the same river twice, for he is a different man and the water is not the same.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Destination. All the little destinations.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

In general the destination is meaningless. But also the journey would be meaningless if there were no destination. The destination gives meaning to the journey.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ

A life is a destination along the journey of life. Countless individuals lived and died, contributing to the pattern of natural selection that made you what you are. If you reproduce, life shall journey on from the pit stop that is you.

MBTI
    istp

There are not destinations beyond or before death?

Maybe SPs are the smartest, live in the moment?
    oh shit, one of them is catching on...

i think many people are naturally inclined to look at this subject through the aspect of themselves. what's hard to realize (and ultimately, accept) is that we're relatively small and unoriginal, and our lives a short blip in time.

i think this is why people who approach life thinking that it's all about them are never satisfied, because they're trying to prove something to themselves that is impossible.

i know it seems counter-intuitive, but i think satisfaction can be found by realizing and accepting how insignificant we are, then living in spite of it... a difficult task for the arrogant species known as man.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Let us say that the destination to which you refer is a goal of some sort.

Given that, life is in the journey.. teleporting from point A to point B sidesteps all of the pain, lessons, and struggle that make arriving at point B so spectacular. In fact.. the pain, lessons and struggle are what make point B point B!

If you teleport from A to B, B is really A, because you are still the you that was at point A, and as the saying goes, a man never crosses the same river twice, for he is a different man and the water is not the same.
    Sounds very Hegelian...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.