User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Uhhhhh......

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    CC is right.

First, you don't exist, Then you exist, then you don't exist. Existence is merely an interference in not existing.
    No, the consciousness you have named "you" is simply one pattern of the same energy that will always exist. Nothing that you are will ever cease to be.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I think consciousness is an epiphenomenon, so consciousness dies with the breakdown of the body. Since you're so into biology, couldn't you explain (self-)consciousness as an adaptive mechanism?
    Sure -

Fitness in any system is crucial to the success of species x over species y. Self-consciousness could be thought of as an extension of this mechanism.

Of course, we'd require suitable environment inspiration for such a complex orchestration to develop - even in its initial stage, repetitive stimulus is a prerequisite.

Take the eye. A humble cluster of light-sensitive cells eventually adapting into the complex, tiered organ we presently cornerstone our sensory windows 'round.

Adaptation requires proper biological paperwork for creativity to take root.

Even nature holds true to bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    No, the consciousness you have named "you" is simply one pattern of the same energy that will always exist. Nothing that you are will ever cease to be.
    Matter --> Organized information --> Matter. You don't exist --> You exist --> You don't exist.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Sure -

Fitness in any system is crucial to the success of species x over species y. Self-consciousness could be thought of as an extension of this mechanism.

Of course, we'd require suitable environment inspiration for such a complex orchestration to develop - even in its initial stage, repetitive stimulus is a prerequisite.

Take the eye. A humble cluster of light-sensitive cells eventually adapting into the complex, tiered organ we presently cornerstone our sensory windows 'round.

Adaptation requires proper biological paperwork for creativity to take root.

Even nature holds true to bureaucracy.
    Self-consciousness is probably the key to our ability to criticize our current modes of operation... it spurs ambition and allows for us to evolve individually at a far greater pace than non-human animals, which generally have to rely on generational change. Which is why we've got such excellent ecological valence... though then again cockroaches win there... and I doubt they're self-conscious in the way we are.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    I'd amend this... "nothing that composes "you" will ever cease to be." But "you" and your "consciousness" will cease to be, since consciousness is an emergent property of the interactions of those energies, which lose that patterned set of interactions upon the death of the individual.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Self-consciousness is probably the key to our ability to criticize our current modes of operation... it spurs ambition and allows for us to evolve individually at a far greater pace than non-human animals, which generally have to rely on generational change. Which is why we've got such excellent ecological valence... though then again cockroaches win there... and I doubt they're self-conscious in the way we are.
    I dig it.

Nicely said.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I dig it.

Nicely said.
    Like George Castanza, I'll leave the conversation while the going's good.

Edit: you can run but you can't hide.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'd amend this... "nothing that composes "you" will ever cease to be." But "you" and your "consciousness" will cease to be, since consciousness is an emergent property of the interactions of those energies, which lose that patterned set of interactions upon the death of the individual.
    Preach it!!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

"Animals that have passed the mirror test are all of the great apes (humans, bonobos, chimpanzees, orangutans and gorillas), bottlenose dolphins, killer whales, elephants, and European Magpies" - Wiki

We're not too alone.. Being able to recognize yourself is a good indicator of a high state of consciousness.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    "Animals that have passed the mirror test are all of the great apes (humans, bonobos, chimpanzees, orangutans and gorillas), bottlenose dolphins, killer whales, elephants, and European Magpies" - Wiki

We're not too alone.. Being able to recognize yourself is a good indicator of a high state of consciousness.
    There's high and there's higher... the mirror test is only the beginning... as has been mentioned before, great apes, whales, elephants, etc. don't have the same ability to self-criticize.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.