Thread: Lent 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I'm giving up religion for lent.
    Well as long as you remain predictable.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Many people view Lent as a time of self-denial, and speak in terms of what they are going to give up for Lent. It always seemed silly to me to give something up just for the sake of it. I am fine with self-sacrifice, but prefer it directly benefits others in some way. In this spirit, I tend to look for what I can do for others during lent: perhaps a random act of kindness each day, or working on being nicer or more considerate to specific people that I feel I have ignored or perhaps have a conflicted relationship with.
    Aww I like this idea!

@Lark there are TONS of things you can do that don't cost anything. I keep extra snacks I know I probably won't get around to eating and give them to people begging for food sometimes when I drive--or I share that half a pizza my party didn't eat with a hobo notorious for being in a particular spot on my way home. Print out some resource flyers for homeless people that they can contact and give it to them. You can thank a service member for their service (Most people seem not to over there for some reason.. my buddy nearly cried when he was thanked for his service in America for the first time, even though he told them he wasn't American.), or write a note in a study textbook (like nurses will frequently leave notes in a textbook saying, 'Hey, I was in your shoes, and it was very hard, but now I am a nurse and I made it and I know you can do it!') to a future hopeful successful tester.. Volunteer like anywhere.. soup kitchens, community centers and events, etc. Donate old clothing to a shelter. Stuff and stuff and stuff. I know it seems like it does take longer.. but that's the whole point. Money is the easy answer and way out. You cannot buy the stuff I talked about just the same way.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Aww I like this idea!

@Lark there are TONS of things you can do that don't cost anything. I keep extra snacks I know I probably won't get around to eating and give them to people begging for food sometimes when I drive--or I share that half a pizza my party didn't eat with a hobo notorious for being in a particular spot on my way home. Print out some resource flyers for homeless people that they can contact and give it to them. You can thank a service member for their service (Most people seem not to over there for some reason.. my buddy nearly cried when he was thanked for his service in America for the first time, even though he told them he wasn't American.), or write a note in a study textbook (like nurses will frequently leave notes in a textbook saying, 'Hey, I was in your shoes, and it was very hard, but now I am a nurse and I made it and I know you can do it!') to a future hopeful successful tester.. Volunteer like anywhere.. soup kitchens, community centers and events, etc. Donate old clothing to a shelter. Stuff and stuff and stuff. I know it seems like it does take longer.. but that's the whole point. Money is the easy answer and way out. You cannot buy the stuff I talked about just the same way.
    I know all that, although thanks for that too, I've been thinking about it a long time and practicing it all for just as long.

This Lenten fast and most Lenten fasts I think are about transformation, what works for one person will not work for all, although I think people are dismissive of sacrifice too much and under appreciate it. To exercise restraint and abstain and forego some experience which you know you want is totally and utterly contrary to every message the ad men and marketing people and consumerism as a whole delivers everyday. If you can do it in little things then perhaps when you're tested and its a big thing tempting you, as in a serious thing or a destructive thing or truly wicked thing, then you can meet that challenge too.

Personally one year I remember trying to think of the most difficult thing I could imagine, within reason, to try for Lent, I was seventeen and didnt have much of a disposable income anyway or was restricted in my life choices or options or temptations maybe, but I decided to give up anything other than drinking water. I did pretty well, considering I consumed a vast amount of diet cola (did so right up until I developed diabetes) and also coffee or caffinated soft drinks.

There was only one occasion that I broke that lent, I accidentially drank a coffee choclate milkshake, someone I knew had it and wasnt going to finish it and passed it to me while I was studying hard reading something I didnt understand and wanted to and I just thought, hey, I'd really like to try that, yes, I dont have the cash to buy one myself and when will I have the chance again, it all totally automatic and I had forgotten my fast and lent altogether. I was startled and actually jumped when I realised what I was doing. Now the friend in question was an atheist, or rather than no belief out of apathy, and I think they were interested to see if they could get me to break my fast, which I think is a bit lousy and I thought so at the time, but it was my error.

The whole thing made me think about how you can become sort of like a sleep walker, you're not totally awake to casual decisions, particularly with the smallest amount of distraction and it gave me pause to reflect on what is important really and on concentration and how it works. Those are material things I know, temporal things, not wholly spiritual I would say but you know, still matter.

MBTI
    INFJ

I won't eat any more paczki until next year.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I won't eat any more paczki until next year.
    This. One is more than enough though.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.