User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Femonique View Post
    Break free of the "norm" and be who you are, it's very liberating! We are meant to feel, or we wouldn't have the capability.
    Article: Researchers Say We Stamp Out A Boy's Natural Emotional Expressiveness - Hartford Courant

A couple excerpts from the above article written ages ago on this topic:

"Because of what seem to be biologically based differences, boys start out life more emotionally expressive than girls," writes psychologist Ronald F. Levant of Harvard Medical School. Research finds that infant boys are 'more emotionally reactive and expressive' than infant girls, and remain so at least until they are 6 months old -- they show more joy, more anger, fussiness and crying, make more gestural signals and 'positive vocalizations' to their mothers, Levant writes in an article in the journal Professional Psychology: Research and Practice.

Who is this Ronald F. Levant? About Dr. Ronald F. Levant --- Ronald F. Levant Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia He is also a former president of the American Psychological Association (APA) Ronald F. Levant: 2005 APA President

normative male alexithymia - emotional numbness, an inability to put feelings into words. Vulnerable emotions are experienced as anger, often expressed as aggression.

We, society, condition men this way and if you don't personally do it, society picks up your "slack" for you. Breaking free of the norm is no small feat and even when you manage to, the pressure to realign with societal expectation is constant.
    Last edited by SpankyMcFly; 02-17-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: moved some stuff around to enhance flow
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Mole liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I don't see how keeping one's feelings to oneself cuts oneself off from them. Quite the contrary. It gives one the space and shelter to figure out what they really mean, rather than having the analysis colored by the projections and agendas of others.
    There is restraint and there is repression.

Restraint as you so rightly point out is the hallmark of emotional intelligence. Restraint allows us to feel the emotion and then we can decide whether it is appropriate to express it.

On the other hand, repression occurs when we can no longer feel the emotion and so cannot decide whether it is appropriate to express it or not.

Repression consigns emotion to the unconscious were it is no longer conscious, but affects us in whatever we do, without our knowing.
    Likes AphroditeGoneAwry liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    What about Chief Keef. What do you think of him?
    He appeals to the psychologically damaged and the damaging.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    He appeals to the psychologically damaged and the damaging.
    On this we can agree. Now I have in words what I could not find to describe myself. Truly, he appeals to the damaged and the damaging. This is also a good title for a fantasy novel chapter.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Default I wish the world would stop glorying in flat affect

What's a tuff one Lark,. Violence and the hardening of a community due to its long term effect is real and a tuff one , prosperity can change that pattern lots of work for everyone and good social engineering in community and via Tv can help to break the cycle but then it comes to religion which seems to be an imperial order mentality thing well how do you reverse the political thoughts of another, could be easier to shoot them, whoops ,. That seems to be the problem...

I kinda found flying low or high under or over the radar worked for me as
    a kid and strait though the storm with in my own cereal of intermits and often matching the tone of the rhetoric with a firm semi sim pathic olternitive of eliminating truths as a replacement real of understanding can work but the content must cater for the context of the group energy.

Other than that I like to rely on my own solitude in my own intimacy.

I lived at an orphanage during grade two and three and I had no problems because I could enjoy my own solitude and I could happens wonder through the herd with out getting plugged into politics, I could hear the views of people with different energies and move along as I chose which out being damaged.

Then I went to a private boarding school and I found it was a bit different but I carried the same practice and kinda crossed through, when it come to politics I reflected that it was not the ball and continued the game with out buying into there game. People respected that truth because it was spoken from a trance free prospective and it was a small gap in there own trance and an opening window that that could choose to clime though. People I did not like very much I wood lessen the energy so as they would not see the window of opportunity. Not all people are deserving and no all people are deserving all the time.

Intamacy and solitude and free choose. It's like a switch , three parts four parts. Or one part two parts three parts four parts.

0 1 2 4 .... 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It is more to prevent others from manipulating us. As others have mentioned, emotional openness with close friends or intimate partners may be well and good, but with the entire world it is ill-advised.
    The problem is that as we maintain our psychological defences, we feel comfortable with those who also maintain their psychological defences, and after a while it seems natural, second nature. And it becomes a vicious circle, just as we become emotionally vicious and emotionally cruel.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The problem is that as we maintain our psychological defences, we feel comfortable with those who also maintain their psychological defences, and after a while it seems natural, second nature. And it becomes a vicious circle, just as we become emotionally vicious and emotionally cruel.
    You don't have psychological defenses?

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Default Psychological Defences, Emotional Cruelty, and Social Control

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    A classic psychological defence on Typology Central is the ad hominem attack. Rather than dealing with the issue at hand, those who disagree or who feel uncomfortable with the issue attack the person.

Of course a site devoted to personality lends itself to personal attacks.

But the facts remain, psychological defences lend themselves to emotional cruelty. And when these same psychological defences are shared by many members, psychological permission is given to emotional cruelty as a form of social control.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post

A couple excerpts from the above article writtenormative male alexithymia - emotional numbness, an inability to put feelings into words. Vulnerable emotions are experienced as anger, often expressed as aggression.

We, society, condition men this way and if you don't personally do it, society picks up your "slack" for you. Breaking free of the norm is no small feat and even when you manage to, the pressure to realign with societal expectation is constant.
    Excellent article. Confirms a theory of mine that I've had for a while. And, plays into the talk about emotional defenses quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole
    A classic psychological defence on Typology Central is the ad hominem attack. Rather than dealing with the issue at hand, those who disagree or who feel uncomfortable with the issue attack the person.
    I'm not uncomfortable with the issue, I just think you're ignoring valid points of view and not acknowledging what they're actually saying. I also think you try to get under people's skin, not that you'll ever cop to that, and that even though you do this, you really dislike it when someone does it to you.

Maybe I need to understand people better, though.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Default The Origins of Emotional Cruelty on Typology Central

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Emotional cruelty is normal on Typology Central and it is taken for granted.

But we shouldn't be surprised for emotional cruelty was built into the origins of Central.

The Red Book, of Carl Jung and, The Black Notebook, of Heidegger show that emotional cruelty was built in from the very beginning.

We can read about emotional cruelty in the book, For Your Own Good, by Alice Miller.

And what is telling is that emotional cruelty is thought of as fun, as clever, and even cool.