User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

For a couple years (maybe even as many as 10) , I tried engaging in complete emotional openness (contrary to my nature), and it did not go well. People are adverse to being around negative emotions, and would prefer to not know that they exist. Positive emotions can also get you in trouble, too, if they aren't in sync and aren't about the things you're "supposed to" feel positive about. It's socially very risky to passionate about something. There are rewards for conforming to a group, and punishments for not conforming.

I think being open emotionally is all well and good if you feel that your sentiments coincide with popular ones, with the group (or if you deflect them into popular ones), but if they're more individualized, people have a problem with it. It seems that they can't quite decide whether you're a friend or an enemy, and the default response tends to be to place you into the category of enemy.

Furthermore, there is a downside, from a humanitarian standpoint, of emotional openness. Is aggression, in your experience, a purely logical phenomenon, or is there an emotional component? What about prejudice? Vengeance?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Noon liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I think being open emotionally is all well and good if you feel that your sentiments coincide with popular ones, with the group (or if you deflect them into popular ones), but if they're more individualized, people have a problem with it. It seems that they can't quite decide whether you're a friend or an enemy, and the default response tends to be to place you into the category of enemy.
    I am fortunate enough to be able to share my sense of humour with strangers all during the day.

To be successful and get a laugh my humour has to be spontaneous, and it also has to match the circumstances and the mood of the other person or persons.

Occasionally my humour doesn't work and I am embarrassed. And it doesn't work when I am not spontaneous and fail to match the circumstances and the mood.

But mostly it is a little bit of magic during the day.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11, KitchenFly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So we might ask what are we defending against? And how does this particular psychological defence mechanism help us manipulate others?
    It is more to prevent others from manipulating us. As others have mentioned, emotional openness with close friends or intimate partners may be well and good, but with the entire world it is ill-advised.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes GarrotTheThief, SpankyMcFly liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I speak in a flat affect to honor the King...the one and true king...the king of the Spartans, King Leonidas.

And then I scream, "THIS IS SPARTA" and spank my hand in the air. I go from 0 to 360mph and I do it 100 like Chief Keef!
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It is more to prevent others from manipulating us. As others have mentioned, emotional openness with close friends or intimate partners may be well and good, but with the entire world it is ill-advised.
    Sounds to me like a paranoid psychological defence mechanism. The result is to cut us off from our own feelings and the feelings of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    I speak in a flat affect to honor the King...the one and true king...the king of the Spartans, King Leonidas.

And then I scream, "THIS IS SPARTA" and spank my hand in the air. I go from 0 to 360mph and I do it 100 like Chief Keef!
    The Spartans left absolutely no culture behind, quite unlike the Athenians who founded Western culture.

Sparta was a culture of death, while Athens was and is a culture of life.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

The Spartans left absolutely no culture behind, quite unlike the Athenians who founded Western culture.

Sparta was a culture of death, while Athens was and is a culture of life.
    What about Chief Keef. What do you think of him?
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Sounds to me like a paranoid psychological defence mechanism. The result is to cut us off from our own feelings and the feelings of the world.
    I don't see how keeping one's feelings to oneself cuts oneself off from them. Quite the contrary. It gives one the space and shelter to figure out what they really mean, rather than having the analysis colored by the projections and agendas of others.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Cellmold, SpankyMcFly liked this post

Good Grief! All this speculation! Feel what ya feel and stop giving a care what others think, what you were taught, or even what ya see others doing. Be true to your nature and who ya are. If more people were honest, felt their feelings, let go of the ones that don't feel good at any given moment and when they're done with them, then reveled in the ones that felt better. There wouldn't be all this depression, anxiety, and whatnot. The world is full of enough lies so why add to it when you can obviously see, as evidenced by the thread, that holding back doesn't feel like it's meant to be. Break free of the "norm" and be who you are, it's very liberating! We are meant to feel, or we wouldn't have the capability.
    Likes Mole liked this post