User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Default What is your favorite work of literature?

To be honest, I have a passion for literature and poetry. I have this secret stash of all my favorite poems, plus my own that I've written. Out of all the poems, I love The Road not Taken by Robert Frost:

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

This poem appeals to me and many others in so many ways. At least for me, I like this poem because I need to learn how to be who I really am--and not anon behind a screen. This is written so beautifully and I must say, Robert Frost is truly one of my favorites.
    "...Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    And that has made all the difference."
    -The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I love reading. Books are my drug of choice.

I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte when I was in junior high, and that was what started my love affair with the classics. I like Rudyard Kipling, Thomas Hardy, E.M. Forster, J.R.R. Tolkien, and of course Jane Austen. I love the works of Charles Dickens. His wit, wordplay, and use of satire just astound me. No one writes quite like Dickens.

I'm very fond of Shakespeare, but I'd rather watch his plays, rather than read them. Same goes for Oscar Wilde.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas is another favorite. And the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. And I've been addicted to the Sherlock Holmes stories since I was fourteen. And how can I not mention To Kill a Mockingbird?

And when I'm down, nothing cheers me up like P.G. Wodehouse. Though Douglas Adams comes close.

I could go on... and on. I haven't even gotten to poetry yet. But I'll let someone else have a turn.

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post

I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte when I was in junior high, and that was what started my love affair with the classics. I like Rudyard Kipling, Thomas Hardy, E.M. Forster, J.R.R. Tolkien, and of course Jane Austen. I love the works of Charles Dickens. His wit, wordplay, and use of satire just astound me. No one writes quite like Dickens.

I'm very fond of Shakespeare, but I'd rather watch his plays, rather than read them. Same goes for Oscar Wilde.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas is another favorite. And the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. And I've been addicted to the Sherlock Holmes stories since I was fourteen. And how can I not mention To Kill a Mockingbird?

And when I'm down, nothing cheers me up like P.G. Wodehouse. Though Douglas Adams comes close.

I could go on... and on. I haven't even gotten to poetry yet. But I'll let someone else have a turn.
    Go on to poetry. Finally, someone is as passionate as I am! I need to read Charles Dickens and Jane Eyre and Símon Bolívar (he wrote books too...I think).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mychemicalkilljoy View Post
    Go on to poetry. Finally, someone is as passionate as I am! I need to read Charles Dickens and Jane Eyre and Símon Bolívar (he wrote books too...I think).
    Okay, you twisted my arm.

My favorite poets are Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, William Butler Yeats, Dante Gabriel Rosetti, and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. (Why do all those Romantic and Victorian poets have three names?) I also really like Robert Frost and Edgar Allan Poe, due partly to the influence of a beloved teacher of mine.

One of my friends recently dared me to read T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland, but I've been stalling on that. It's just so... daunting.

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Okay, you twisted my arm.

My favorite poets are Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, William Butler Yeats, Dante Gabriel Rosetti, and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. (Why do all those Romantic and Victorian poets have three names?) I also really like Robert Frost and Edgar Allan Poe, due partly to the influence of a beloved teacher of mine.

IKR! Mine are Robert Frost, Shakespeare, And Maya Angelou so far... I literally have no time to do anything besides the five hours of homework. Since TC has made it so I have to lengthen this post to post it I'm just posting TRNT again:

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

And that has made all the difference.

One of my friends recently dared me to read T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland, but I've been stalling on that. It's just so... daunting.
    Oooooooh read it!!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

If you like Dumas, try The Three Musketeers or The Man In The Iron Mask.

Speaking of French authors, with a grateful hat tip to @OrangeAppled - Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time. (About 3000 pages total...)

Dickens I have to be in the mood for.

I have only dabbled in Kipling, have not read Hardy or Forster, and can't remember if I've read Austen.

I've read Wuthering Heights, of course; and Shakespeare. Only one of two of Wilde - The Portrait of Dorian Grey.

Wodehouse is the single greatest wordsmith in the history of the English language: not profound, but every word hits its mark.
    G.K. Chesterton is good for fantastical fiction; if you like mysteries, try his Father Brown series or The Paradoxes of Mr. Pond. I simply adore Dorothy L. Sayers (Gaudy Night should be required reading), and Josephine Tey is similar, but not as learned.

Edgar Allen Poe once enthralled me, but I have since found him too dark.

Two other older authors--no, three.

Tristram Shandy -- Laurence Sterne
    Daniel Defoe -- not only Gulliver's Travels, but Moll Flanders and A Journal of The Plague Years

Correction: past my bedtime, Swift wrote Gulliver's travels.
    Hat tip to @BadOctopus.

Boswell's Life of Johnson: incredible erudition.

Evelyn Waugh is an incredible satirist of the British upper-crust, but not in a farcial way like Wodehouse.

The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone (biographical novel of Michelangelo) had me riveted for hours.

For children's books, try (of course!)
    The Chronicles of Narnia -- C.S. Lewis
    The Chronicles of Pyrdain -- Lloyd Alexander
    The Wind in The Willows (Hi @Mole!) -- Kenneth Grahame
    The Phantom Tollbooth -- Norton Juster
    Artemis Fowl -- Eoin Colfer
    Last edited by grey_beard; 02-09-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: bad, tired grey_beard. Past my bedtime.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mychemicalkilljoy View Post
    Oooooooh read it!!!
    But but but! I have such a long list of to-read books already. Plus I'm just not sure I even understand Modernist poetry. It's so weird. I feel like I'd need a stack of reference books just to look up all of its allusions to other works.

Have you read it?

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

But but but! I have such a long list of to-read books already. Plus I'm just not sure I even understand Modernist poetry. It's so weird. I feel like I'd need a stack of reference books just to look up all of its allusions to other works.

Have you read it?
    Not yet I have so much to do I have no time I am training for track and I can't read it nowwe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

@grey_beard wanted me to mention James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. A must read for any animal lover.

And you're welcome, Grey! I'm glad you weren't offended by the correction. Speaking of Swift, have you ever read A Modest Proposal? Talk about some dark comedy.

I read The Three Musketeers, but I didn't like it nearly as much as Monte Cristo. Maybe it was the translation.

Tristram Shandy is on my reading list, as is Dorothy L. Sayers.

Have you any interest in the Hornblower series?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hi @BadOctopus -- I'm scared of reading any more than the first of the Hornblower series, as I'm afraid your avatar will eat them.
    I read A Modest Proposal back in High School.

Not much for poetry -- some of Shakespeare's Sonnets, and have abortively attempted Paradise Lost a couple of times, but always had other things distract me.

My favorite part of The Three Musketeers was the chapter entitled All Cats Are Grey At Night...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.