• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your favorite work of literature?

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius could never pick one book. He mostly reads satire, bildungsroman, and Russian literature.

A random bookshelf went like this: The Assistant - Robert Walser, A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole, Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry, Cancer Ward - Solzhenitsyn, Tom Jones - Henry Fielding, Blindness -Saramago,The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath, The Appointment - Herta Müller, The Stranger- Camus, Darkness at Noon - Koestler, The Collector - John Fowles, The Good Soldier Svejk- Jaroslav Hasek...

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Falcarius could never pick one book. He mostly reads satire, bildungsroman, and Russian literature.

A random bookshelf went like this: The Assistant - Robert Walser, A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole, Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry, Cancer Ward - Solzhenitsyn, Tom Jones - Henry Fielding, Blindness -Saramago,The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath, The Appointment - Herta Müller, The Stranger- Camus, Darkness at Noon - Koestler, The Collector - John Fowles, The Good Soldier Svejk- Jaroslav Hasek...
And why doth he speakers in the third person, garrot doth wonder but partake in the creative feat unsuspecting of any motive upon a foundation of hubris, but knowing too that there is a more than likely chance he might be wrong-sizzles.

P.s. I too dabble in the chapter in five different books per day art...rather than stick to a main I have a lot of side pieces. [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION]

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

Oh I just read your sig so I know now...foolish cropper.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Just found this book I remember reading at some point and particularly enjoying. The Long Walk by Stephen King. I generally like how he writes, because he seems to instead of just answering questions he tends to ask them.

Mole

Permabanned
One of my favourite works of literature that I can read again and again is "The Leopard" (Italian: Il Gattopardo), by Guiseppe Tomasi de Lampedusa.

Guiseppe was an Italian diplomat who wrote only one book in his lifetime, and it is a masterpiece.

And it was made into a movie by Luchino Visconte, click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb0IlSBFVt0&spfreload=10

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In addition to Catch-22, by Joseph Heller, there is the Glass Bead Game, by Herman Hesse.

I read each of them at vastly different times in my life, one during a period of great idealism, and one during a period of great disillusionment. It's hard for me to pick which one was more meaningful to me. The most interesting part was Joseph Knecht's relationship with Plinio Designori; it had very strong reverberations with where I was at the particular time and place where I read it.

Supposedly the main part is about thinking. Then the shamanistic section is about sensing, the part about the desert Christian hermits is about feeling, and the Indian section is about intuition.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like memorizin the dictionary as well, I am currently on page 3.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mistborn-trilogy.jpg

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've never read him, but I've seen him around. I used to go to the same Sci-Fi book club that Mr. Sanderson went to as a youth, he still maintains connections.

Gizmo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"The Count of Monte Cristo" by: Alexandre Dumas

Young, Ambitious, naive, and now betrayed... what better way to exact your revenge upon a mysterious rise to greater wealth than a witty hypothetical "game of chess?"

Noon

The Secret Garden.

There are no games except the ones being planted around me.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Some of my all time favorites. I really do enjoy some of the classics. To Kill a Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451, Count of Monte Cristo, a Separate Peace, Catcher in the Rye(especially this one, bit eerie how much I related to this book, especially when I was younger. It was like a bible, I fed off of it especially during a few years when I was pretty depressed. It was like the one thing that understood me. I'd like to think I have moved past relating to some of it, but unfortunately probably not all. I do not really remember it that well, and I probably shouldn't reread it and reopen doors that are better left closed. Anyways, this is making me uncomfrotable so I'll move on),are some that are probably my 'favorites' as they were the first to come to mind. Different books do different things to me, map out different things to explore, so I can't say I have a favorite. I do enjoy some more recent books, and a few of them are pretty good and I can find one that I can really connect with, but I don't know, few really hit the things in me that those books did, and I have read quite a few books.