User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Hi @BadOctopus -- I'm scared of reading any more than the first of the Hornblower series, as I'm afraid your avatar will eat them.
    Oh, ha jolly ha.

Seriously, they're really good. Horatio is a fascinating character. He's very complex and realistically flawed. Incidentally, many people type him as an INTJ -- myself included.

I remember shortly after getting hooked on the series, I got a hilariously awkward marriage proposal from a guy in a bookshop, when I asked where they kept the nautical fiction. Apparently that's not something a lot of girls ask.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn
    Lord of the Rings

stuff like that...some fantasy novels that I mostly listen to on audible now because I have to read a lot for other things like the Malazan series...
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mychemicalkilljoy View Post
    To be honest, I have a passion for literature and poetry. I have this secret stash of all my favorite poems, plus my own that I've written. Out of all the poems, I love The Road not Taken by Robert Frost:
    Frost is a favorite of mine, and I really relate to The Road Not Taken on both a metaphorical and a very literal level. I'm a hiker, and getting lost is half the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    One of my friends recently dared me to read T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland, but I've been stalling on that. It's just so... daunting.
    I read The Wasteland during my first college career, and I liked the part where he alludes to a phenomenon in which travelers in extreme environments can hallucinate fellow travelers who aren't there. (Probably has to do with oxygen deprivation.) But the professor of course talked about more than just Elliot's poetry, so I ended up kinda hating the guy and not remembering much of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I remember shortly after getting hooked on the series, I got a hilariously awkward marriage proposal from a guy in a bookshop, when I asked where they kept the nautical fiction. Apparently that's not something a lot of girls ask.
    I hope you demanded a ring for each of your tentacles.
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    stuff like that...some fantasy novels that I mostly listen to on audible now because I have to read a lot for other things like the Malazan series...
    Ooh, I recently added Malazan to my reading list. I've mentioned this to you in one of your threads, but I'll say it again here:

I am a huge fantasy/sci-fi reader. The Lord of the Rings, The Wheel of Time, His Dark Materials, The Chronicles of Narnia, The First Law, Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Dune*, A Song of Ice and Fire, Iain M. Banks, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games...I can't get enough!

*When are we going to get a really good Dune movie?

I wonder if genre preference maps at all onto typology...
    Likes GarrotTheThief, BadOctopus liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Ooh, I recently added Malazan to my reading list. I've mentioned this to you in one of your threads, but I'll say it again here:

I am a huge fantasy/sci-fi reader. The Lord of the Rings, The Wheel of Time, His Dark Materials, The Chronicles of Narnia, The First Law, Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Dune*, A Song of Ice and Fire, Iain M. Banks, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games...I can't get enough!

You and I are very much a like. I like your avatar by the way. Is it a Roman soldier?

I'm going to get into Gaiman soon, and eventually some other things.

I really do enjoy Malazan, especially in Audible form as the voice acting is excellent and I can listen while working out. Currently I spend more time reading instructional books on writing, math, and business so I don't like to read for pleasure so much as listen if that makes sense.

I wonder if genre preference maps at all onto typology...

You and I are very much a like. I like your avatar by the way. Is it a Roman soldier?

I really do enjoy Malazan, especially in Audible form as the voice acting is excellent and I can listen while working out. Currently I spend more time reading instructional books on writing, math, and business so I don't like to read for pleasure so much as listen if that makes sense.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    THIS.

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

I need to catch up ugh
    "...Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."
    -The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Thanks! But no, he's just a generic ye olde dude being messed with by some sort of magic. Tony DiTerlizzi painted the piece for Magic: the Gathering, I believe.

I think I chose it to remind myself that I know less than I think I do.

And yeah, I totally get the appeal of audio books. Someday I plan to reread, er...listen to all 14 Wheel of Time books, from start to finish!
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I wouldn't be able to narrow it down to one, but Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms, Huxley's Island, and Nesbo's Harry Hole series all are pretty damn good.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug
    Likes BadOctopus, Evee liked this post