User Tag List

12 Last

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Our thoughts are controlled by changing external stimuli.

"i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Haha, I think this doesn't come as a revelation to your run of the mill ENFP. We kind of ride in that, leverage it. It seems a preposterous notion to me to have complete control over one's thoughts.

Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post

my sentiments exactly Nihilogen...we are like two lost brothers hugging from a distance now.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Idk why but I feel like this is obvious without research...

More concerned about why, and if it's even possible to detach our thoughts completely from influences of our environment.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Have you not seen the sitcom bit of someone trying to think of a fake name and saying, "Dr. (first object they see around them)"?

But the study isn't going so far as to say our thoughts are controlled by our environment. That's a bit of a leap. It's just saying that there's an observable effect caused on our unconscious processes by the environment, which only shows that we aren't processing nearly as much unconsciously as they thought. It has nothing to do with subliminal control of our thinking.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist
    Likes Stanton Moore liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    What makes you say that?
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

Not really news at all. Yes it demonstrates how easy it is to influence the untrained mind. I would like to see though a study in which half the participants were untrained and the other half had spent years in intentional mindfulness of some description. Merely causing other people to have a mental knee-jerk isn't reason enough to say that people are ultimately controlled by their environment. There are many instances of people in hideous environments who failed to succumb to their conditions. This is evidence of the mind (if strong or focused enough) being able to direct itself into a different place than the conditions would suggest.

Furthermore the study only measured the initial response, not the internal processing of that response and the resultant follow up thoughts, which is a bigger indicator of how that image in going to affect the person's behaviour and psyche.
    Likes grey_beard, GarrotTheThief liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Haha, I think this doesn't come as a revelation to your run of the mill ENFP. We kind of ride in that, leverage it. It seems a preposterous notion to me to have complete control over one's thoughts.
    I think people commonly underestimate the unconscious, illusionary thinking, cultural triggers etc.

Although all that said I cant help but firmly believe that people remain responsible or at least need to be treated as though they are because that has proven to be such a useful social construct.

Kant back in the day was already positing hard determinism, I'm not sure whether or not he believed that people were automatons, which may be the conclusion of more and more of this material, but despite all that he believed that everyone should treat each other as though there were free agents and affirmed consequentialism no matter how much it proved not to actually be the case.

A hell of a lot of people out there are looking for excuses, anyone else would have done what I did, I would do it again in the same circumstances, I am not to blame and neither is anyone else for anything they may do. I think its a dangerous message and I think the reality that there is no one what so ever who suggests otherwise with any kind of force is dangerous too.

Instead what about prevailing over stimuli, consciously choosing with insight to make certain choices, what about not giving in to temptation? I know there's situations that I've struggled with but prevailed, so I know its within anyones powers who is remotely like me and I am no saint and not exceptional.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    Have you not seen the sitcom bit of someone trying to think of a fake name and saying, "Dr. (first object they see around them)"?
    Pea....

Tear....

Griffon.

Peatear Griffon.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post