First 5678 Last

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Even our Suns consume.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

"the purpose of evil is always batman" - Batman's psychologist.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think that's a virtuous dichotomy though, at least if you conceive as good as the "thing itself" and evil as its "shadow", good is therefore positive and evil the inferior negative. Anything else is manichean equivalence or equality assumed between the two opposites.
    I don't understand your point in the highlighted. Based on what is often considered evil, evil can often be "the thing" and good its absence. In that sense, good and evil are equal and opposite, like the north and south poles of a magnet.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Evil is not neccesary.

The statement evil is neccesary to appreciate the good is a flawed statement. Even though it seems to ring true. But there are plenty of cases where good is appreciated even in the absence of evil.

What is neccesary is the ability to recognize wrong and right. This is in part based on ones own ability to process information and in part due to upbringing and environment.

The problem is manipulation, misinformation and irrationality. None of which are neccesarily evil at the core.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

If Good exists, then the absence of Good must exist and that is Evil.

If Evil and Good exist...then they exist whether we do or not.

If this is true...Nature is Good an Evil, and since we are products of nature, thereby have Good and Evil in us.

This reminds me of the idea of a kings and aristocracy. People think that a monarchy was the invention of people, but people cannot invent anything. Nature invents things through us. We are not separate from nature in any biological sense...the idea that mankind can do something apart from the earth is a false dichotomy. If we leave this earth and destroy it in the process, that was nature's way...and we are like sperm flying off the planet...that analogy is much more accurate than the false dichotomy.

But the point here that I'm trying to make is that evil is as natural as anything else.

If we look at aristocracy, and how a privliged few can learn while the rest of us must serve, at that point in time, that was the product of nature.

nature is not a democracy, and nature is not fair.

And this is why people argue humans have a divine soul which is greater than the physical nature since we have the ability to be fair and just...nature is not fair and just at all.

This seems like I'm saying we're separate from nature and creating another false dichotomy. But I'm not. I'm saying we are souls, in bodies that are not separate from nature, and that this idea or notion, not premise or argument, is the foundation upon which justice is built.

Arguing about it is pointless. This what we all believe unconsciously or consciously - don't argue with me because you're really just arguing with yourself.

Also, note...I did not create a false dichotomy by saying the soul is greater than the physical manifestation for the two are one in the same in one regard but different in another...and thereby not split, but overlapping, hence no false dichotomy.

It's kind of like what @Evee said about apollo and dionysius. On one hand we have the Apollonians who believe in perfect order and refuse the existence of soul and non-linear progress...then we have the dionysions who are all about that chaos. If one aligns with apollo, he is unconcious of his dionysian aspect...and if one aligns with dionysius he is unconcious of his appolonian aspect...but no person is one ore the other...everyone has both...everyone is aware and unaware...no one is exempt from the natural process.
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Evee liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Evil is not necessary. It is a maladaptive way of dealing with feelings of personal fear, vulnerability and loss of power. It is a perceived short cut to feeling powerful and in control of one's life when a healthy sense of self, purpose, and power have been taken away, often through being violated in some manner. Being sadistic is a way to prove to oneself that one can exert control over another person. It is a useless behavior when there is nothing that needs proving.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes Evee, Survive & Stay Free liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Basically, I know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I don't understand your point in the highlighted. Based on what is often considered evil, evil can often be "the thing" and good its absence. In that sense, good and evil are equal and opposite, like the north and south poles of a magnet.
    Yeah, my point is that they are not equal, that is a manichean way of looking at things and I dont subscribe to it, there is no equivalence between good and evil because evil is always inferior to good, even in the example you give of omissions it is the abscence of something, something good.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    If Good exists, then the absence of Good must exist and that is Evil.
    Would you also claim, "If Love exists, then the absence of Love must exist and that is Hate"?

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Would you also claim, "If Love exists, then the absence of Love must exist and that is Hate"?
    not quite sure. why do you ask?

I've heard it said that love/hate are inseparable. Perhaps love pulses like a binary star and when it's faded hate manifests...Or perhaps it's much more gray than that. I don't know.

But I'm curious why you ask? Your response could be an interesting learning experience.

edit: this is post 666..
    it was open
    -the end"