Thread: Antitheism

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

That isn't what I said, CC.

I hesitate to explain my counterpoint....

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    That isn't what I said, CC.

I hesitate to explain my counterpoint....
    Um, okay, I guess.

But I would like to understand what exactly it is that I am not getting.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Biological Determinism is the "moral" code by which we unavoidably abide.

Human culture produces expressions of psychological value intended to bolster the probability that our genetic code successfully propagates.

As ideals, compelling though they are certainly are to us, these systems of value are learned social instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Listen, the universe is beautiful, intricate, complex and amazing, as is all of biological life.

However, for all the five year olds who have been brutally raped by their fathers, for all the people who have been tortured, for all the children, men and women who have been victims of horrific murders. For all the children and women who have been victims of parental and spousal abuse, ugh, I can go on with this list, but the point is this, for these people, for these travesties, I'd say with supreme confidence that GOD IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!!
    Sorry but argument does not stands. Because all of this was in just one moment in their lives on earth. Also god give them life and not just that he/she/it give them eternal life so if you sum all the suffering and divide that with eternal life you will see that in the end he/she/it caused no suffering if you take a look at the big picture.
    And those who are causing suffering will suffer because they did not obey the rules that were declared long ago. Also there is no point in punishing people in this world because this way you can assess them much better this way so the less bad guys will enter the heaven.
    Sorry but I don't see why god is a monster.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

No offense to anyone, really, but I think you all have a very...how shall I explain this in a meaningful way...tangible notion of "god."

God is intangible - as I explained in an earlier post. And since god is a collective power and not an external power, he cannot "change" anything unless the change comes from the constituents within.
    Last edited by Little Linguist; 08-13-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: An earlier force? Dang, I think faster than I can type. Grrrr....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    No offense to anyone, really, but I think you all have a very...how shall I explain this in a meaningful way...tangible notion of "god."

God is intangible - as I explained in an earlier post. And since god is a collective power and not an external power, he cannot "change" anything unless the change comes from the constituents within.

What makes you think I believe in God?

You second paragraph is strange. Please explain how/why you think you know the absolute physical characteristics of "God"?

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    If a god were to exist, and I had the chance to meet it, I'd tell it, "great job with creating the whole universe and all, honestly, superb", and then I would slap it across its blob-god amorphous face and say, "that is for all the fucked up shit, immeasurable suffering and perverse 'justice' you have mercilessly effected upon innocent human beings both past, present and future."
    Okay, you tell him that.

Regarding the human realm, if a god were to actually exist, it'd be a big fucking sociopathic asshole.
    Two questions:

Do you mean to hold a deity responsible for the decisions of the free entities he creates?

Given the choice of the world as it is or no world at all, which do you think it would be better for a deity to oversee?

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Why should we be grateful to a god for anything? Presumably god could have created us as gods equal to himself. But we're small, weak and stupid and that's just the way he wants us.
    Whoa there...how would God create other gods equal to Him? How then could He be God? His definition would seem to make that a difficult paradox.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Wow! You've solved the foremost metaphysical problem that has been troubling mankind since we started building shelters for ourselves! That is truly awesome. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    Do you mean to hold a deity responsible for the decisions of the free entities he creates?
    I would. Just as an automaker is held responsible for producing a car that bursts into flames when rear ended, God should be held responsible for creating beings capable of suffering. He is responsible for all rape and murder because we are created rapable and killable.

Let me guess, suffering isn't a bug, it's a feature. :rolli:

Whoa there...how would God create other gods equal to Him? How then could He be God? His definition would seem to make that a difficult paradox.
    Depends on whether you define the word "God" as a kind of being or a position of authority.

The only way that things make any sense is that god is an external power.

If it is internal that would mean that he/she/it could be destroyed with the rest of us in Nuclear holocaust and that would be ridiculous.