User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you always the same type?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always remain the same type, and I have no choice

17 80.95%
  • I always remain the same type, unless I choose to develop myself differently

2 9.52%
  • I can change my type at will, no development necessary

2 9.52%
12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    bad
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default POLL: Are you always the same type?

Are you always the same type?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Type doesent change even if you change your behavior or some psychological tactics to fit a situation. With situation i mean either immediate situation, in which case its the persona that fits the situation, or life situation that is more long term, in which case its either some sort of unconscious compensation that your normal Self isnt capable of handling or persona that the person has over identified with(or possibly a combination of both).
    However person can grow so that an T type can develop F and learn to use both, but still the conscious attitude(which is what type really is about) remains more thinking than feeling. But as i mentioned with the compensation thing, T type might have some instances in life where the feeling attitude of the unconscious takes over more, but still it remains an unconscious attitude because its not oriented by ego, but by unconscious factors. This sort of stuff is quite common in depression for example, or other psychological issues that are about the unconscious trying to compensate of what is lacking in the conscious attitude.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Yes, it changes. But as someone gets older and has more experience and self-awareness and lives truer to them-self, there should be parts of them-self that become constant. These parts may coincide with a psychological type, though such a thing is only designed to help figure out what those parts are and not to define ourselves.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I have successfully changed tastes, habits, and my viewpoint on various matters, but I don't think I can change my core personality. It hasn't changed since I was very young, so I see no reason why it would change in the future.

It makes me wonder if people who say they can change and have changed their type are essentially putting on a mask, and suppressing their basic personality.

People remain the same type internally; externally, they can (in theory) be any type--one's type as determined by others will always be decided by subjective interpretation, no matter how objective it was intended.

The way I see it, you always have the same 4 cognitive functions, you just can switch their order based on life development and change between 4 types in one quadra. Quadra never changes.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I have successfully changed tastes, habits, and my viewpoint on various matters, but I don't think I can change my core personality. It hasn't changed since I was very young, so I see no reason why it would change in the future.

It makes me wonder if people who say they can change and have changed their type are essentially putting on a mask, and suppressing their basic personality.
    Or, they may have been suppressing their basic personality as a survival mechanism, or to comply with external constraints. Once these are gone or the situation allows, they can "relax" into their true personality.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Cygnus, Evastover liked this post

I think a type will never change, people are just born with certain natures, but you can try and fix your weaknesses. However, I guess your strengths and preferences will always remain the same.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

When I find a "true" personality I'll let you know. Until then I'm going with change at will.

Reason being that apart from habits, that can be changed with effort, there is nothing stable about human personality. It changes based on context in every case and most habits develop from psychological issues they have yet to resolve or from comfort and familiarity.

I don't think it is set except by genetics, chemicals and nurture. Essentially if you believe in typology it works, but what happens when the man behind the curtain is noticed?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

About stability of personality(measured first as kids, then 40 years later) according to big 5:

"At one extreme is Extraversion, followed closely by Conscientiousness, both of which demonstrate statistically significant links between childhood and adulthood, no matter the type of methodological procedure that is used to analyze those traits. At the other extreme, is Neuroticism, followed closely by Agreeableness, neither of which displays significant longitudinal stabilities over this long time period. In the middle, is the somewhat motley construct of Openness, which tends to provide statistically significant stability correlations, albeit at a much reduced level than that of Extraversion."
    A First Large-Cohort Study of Personality-Trait Stability Over the 40 Years Between Elementary School and Midlife

Correlations between MBTI and big 5:

extraversion = E
    conscientiousness = J
    agreeableness = F
    openness = N
    Neuroticism = none in MBTI.

So the conclusion:

I/E doesent change. F types learn to use their T over time(and the other way around) and therefore move a bit on big 5 scale to other direction. N types learn to use their S over time a bit(and the other way around), so they move on the big 5 scale a bit but not much, i would suspect that its because T/F being judging functions and thus more over control of will, so it changes easier. J/P doesent change, that would fuck up the I/E of the functions.

= MBTI type doesent change, but people learn to develop their functions, T/F more than N/S.

@AffirmitiveAnxiety
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read