• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

POLL: Are you always the same type?

Are you always the same type?

• Total voters

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Type doesent change even if you change your behavior or some psychological tactics to fit a situation. With situation i mean either immediate situation, in which case its the persona that fits the situation, or life situation that is more long term, in which case its either some sort of unconscious compensation that your normal Self isnt capable of handling or persona that the person has over identified with(or possibly a combination of both).
However person can grow so that an T type can develop F and learn to use both, but still the conscious attitude(which is what type really is about) remains more thinking than feeling. But as i mentioned with the compensation thing, T type might have some instances in life where the feeling attitude of the unconscious takes over more, but still it remains an unconscious attitude because its not oriented by ego, but by unconscious factors. This sort of stuff is quite common in depression for example, or other psychological issues that are about the unconscious trying to compensate of what is lacking in the conscious attitude.

Little_Sticks

Yes, it changes. But as someone gets older and has more experience and self-awareness and lives truer to them-self, there should be parts of them-self that become constant. These parts may coincide with a psychological type, though such a thing is only designed to help figure out what those parts are and not to define ourselves.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have successfully changed tastes, habits, and my viewpoint on various matters, but I don't think I can change my core personality. It hasn't changed since I was very young, so I see no reason why it would change in the future.

It makes me wonder if people who say they can change and have changed their type are essentially putting on a mask, and suppressing their basic personality.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People remain the same type internally; externally, they can (in theory) be any type--one's type as determined by others will always be decided by subjective interpretation, no matter how objective it was intended.

Cygnus

The way I see it, you always have the same 4 cognitive functions, you just can switch their order based on life development and change between 4 types in one quadra. Quadra never changes.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have successfully changed tastes, habits, and my viewpoint on various matters, but I don't think I can change my core personality. It hasn't changed since I was very young, so I see no reason why it would change in the future.

It makes me wonder if people who say they can change and have changed their type are essentially putting on a mask, and suppressing their basic personality.
Or, they may have been suppressing their basic personality as a survival mechanism, or to comply with external constraints. Once these are gone or the situation allows, they can "relax" into their true personality.

mariamemubarak

I think a type will never change, people are just born with certain natures, but you can try and fix your weaknesses. However, I guess your strengths and preferences will always remain the same.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
When I find a "true" personality I'll let you know. Until then I'm going with change at will.

Reason being that apart from habits, that can be changed with effort, there is nothing stable about human personality. It changes based on context in every case and most habits develop from psychological issues they have yet to resolve or from comfort and familiarity.

I don't think it is set except by genetics, chemicals and nurture. Essentially if you believe in typology it works, but what happens when the man behind the curtain is noticed?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
About stability of personality(measured first as kids, then 40 years later) according to big 5:

"At one extreme is Extraversion, followed closely by Conscientiousness, both of which demonstrate statistically significant links between childhood and adulthood, no matter the type of methodological procedure that is used to analyze those traits. At the other extreme, is Neuroticism, followed closely by Agreeableness, neither of which displays significant longitudinal stabilities over this long time period. In the middle, is the somewhat motley construct of Openness, which tends to provide statistically significant stability correlations, albeit at a much reduced level than that of Extraversion."
A First Large-Cohort Study of Personality-Trait Stability Over the 40 Years Between Elementary School and Midlife

Correlations between MBTI and big 5:

extraversion = E
conscientiousness = J
agreeableness = F
openness = N
Neuroticism = none in MBTI.

So the conclusion:

I/E doesent change. F types learn to use their T over time(and the other way around) and therefore move a bit on big 5 scale to other direction. N types learn to use their S over time a bit(and the other way around), so they move on the big 5 scale a bit but not much, i would suspect that its because T/F being judging functions and thus more over control of will, so it changes easier. J/P doesent change, that would fuck up the I/E of the functions.

= MBTI type doesent change, but people learn to develop their functions, T/F more than N/S.

[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION]

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
About stability of personality(measured first as kids, then 40 years later) according to big 5:

"At one extreme is Extraversion, followed closely by Conscientiousness, both of which demonstrate statistically significant links between childhood and adulthood, no matter the type of methodological procedure that is used to analyze those traits. At the other extreme, is Neuroticism, followed closely by Agreeableness, neither of which displays significant longitudinal stabilities over this long time period. In the middle, is the somewhat motley construct of Openness, which tends to provide statistically significant stability correlations, albeit at a much reduced level than that of Extraversion."
A First Large-Cohort Study of Personality-Trait Stability Over the 40 Years Between Elementary School and Midlife

Correlations between MBTI and big 5:

extraversion = E
conscientiousness = J
agreeableness = F
openness = N
Neuroticism = none in MBTI.

So the conclusion:

I/E doesent change. F types learn to use their T over time(and the other way around) and therefore move a bit on big 5 scale to other direction. N types learn to use their S over time a bit(and the other way around), so they move on the big 5 scale a bit but not much, i would suspect that its because T/F being judging functions and thus more over control of will, so it changes easier. J/P doesent change, that would fuck up the I/E of the functions.

= MBTI type doesent change, but people learn to develop their functions, T/F more than N/S.

[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION]

Interesting. So that would make me an ISTP since I scored low on everything except neuroticism when I did the BBC website big 5 test from Child of Our Time. If of course we went with just that one test as a representation.

Although I get the point about integration of lesser aware and used aspects I still regard the Big Five as a flexible tool compared with the rigidity of MBTI as it is most commonly interpreted.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am always the same type, but that does not mean I can grow as a type and shave off the rough edges while developping my stronger aspects. Type is inherently fluid, but like a river it does not change course.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting. So that would make me an ISTP since I scored low on everything except neuroticism when I did the BBC website big 5 test from Child of Our Time. If of course we went with just that one test as a representation.

Although I get the point about integration of lesser aware and used aspects I still regard the Big Five as a flexible tool compared with the rigidity of MBTI as it is most commonly interpreted.

If i remember correctly that test was some short version crap.

But if you are very low on this: "Conscientiousness is a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement against measures or outside expectations. It is related to the way in which people control, regulate, and direct their impulses. High scores on conscientiousness indicate a preference for planned rather than spontaneous behavior." Its very unlikely that you are J type.

And if you are not like this at all its unlikely that you are F type:
"I am interested in people.
I sympathize with others' feelings.
I have a soft heart.
I take time out for others.
I feel others' emotions.
I make people feel at ease.
I am not really interested in others. (reversed)
I insult people. (reversed)
I am not interested in other people's problems. (reversed)
I feel little concern for others. (reversed)"

SHERLOCK HOLMES

MBTI Type
Ne
Well , MBTI only forms a platform or a skeleton of human behavior. The structure and design differ greatly for many people.Its like an AUDI TT and VW Golf ..both have same platform , but a VERY different..

For example, i am either an ENTP with good Fi or ENFP with good Ti..i know many NFP with brilliant rational (deductive) reasoning and vice versa.

BREAK THE WALLS>>>>