User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you always the same type?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always remain the same type, and I have no choice

17 80.95%
  • I always remain the same type, unless I choose to develop myself differently

2 9.52%
  • I can change my type at will, no development necessary

2 9.52%
First 12

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    About stability of personality(measured first as kids, then 40 years later) according to big 5:

"At one extreme is Extraversion, followed closely by Conscientiousness, both of which demonstrate statistically significant links between childhood and adulthood, no matter the type of methodological procedure that is used to analyze those traits. At the other extreme, is Neuroticism, followed closely by Agreeableness, neither of which displays significant longitudinal stabilities over this long time period. In the middle, is the somewhat motley construct of Openness, which tends to provide statistically significant stability correlations, albeit at a much reduced level than that of Extraversion."
    A First Large-Cohort Study of Personality-Trait Stability Over the 40 Years Between Elementary School and Midlife

Correlations between MBTI and big 5:

extraversion = E
    conscientiousness = J
    agreeableness = F
    openness = N
    Neuroticism = none in MBTI.

So the conclusion:

I/E doesent change. F types learn to use their T over time(and the other way around) and therefore move a bit on big 5 scale to other direction. N types learn to use their S over time a bit(and the other way around), so they move on the big 5 scale a bit but not much, i would suspect that its because T/F being judging functions and thus more over control of will, so it changes easier. J/P doesent change, that would fuck up the I/E of the functions.

= MBTI type doesent change, but people learn to develop their functions, T/F more than N/S.

@AffirmitiveAnxiety
    Interesting. So that would make me an ISTP since I scored low on everything except neuroticism when I did the BBC website big 5 test from Child of Our Time. If of course we went with just that one test as a representation.

Although I get the point about integration of lesser aware and used aspects I still regard the Big Five as a flexible tool compared with the rigidity of MBTI as it is most commonly interpreted.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I am always the same type, but that does not mean I can grow as a type and shave off the rough edges while developping my stronger aspects. Type is inherently fluid, but like a river it does not change course.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Interesting. So that would make me an ISTP since I scored low on everything except neuroticism when I did the BBC website big 5 test from Child of Our Time. If of course we went with just that one test as a representation.

Although I get the point about integration of lesser aware and used aspects I still regard the Big Five as a flexible tool compared with the rigidity of MBTI as it is most commonly interpreted.
    If i remember correctly that test was some short version crap.

But if you are very low on this: "Conscientiousness is a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement against measures or outside expectations. It is related to the way in which people control, regulate, and direct their impulses. High scores on conscientiousness indicate a preference for planned rather than spontaneous behavior." Its very unlikely that you are J type.

And if you are not like this at all its unlikely that you are F type:
    "I am interested in people.
    I sympathize with others' feelings.
    I have a soft heart.
    I take time out for others.
    I feel others' emotions.
    I make people feel at ease.
    I am not really interested in others. (reversed)
    I insult people. (reversed)
    I am not interested in other people's problems. (reversed)
    I feel little concern for others. (reversed)"
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    Ne

Well , MBTI only forms a platform or a skeleton of human behavior. The structure and design differ greatly for many people.Its like an AUDI TT and VW Golf ..both have same platform , but a VERY different..

For example, i am either an ENTP with good Fi or ENFP with good Ti..i know many NFP with brilliant rational (deductive) reasoning and vice versa.

BREAK THE WALLS>>>>