User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default The sex and death list

OK this is the plot to a movie I've been watching but it got me thinking and I wanted to pose it to the forum to see what other peoples thoughts were too, you have a list of names provided by a magical oracle machine which are all the women you will have sex with for the rest of your life, do you keep and use the list to track the ladies down or do you dump it deciding not to have knowledge of the future?

The list is finite, so you will inevitably reach the last name on the list, now that does not mean you are going to die, it could, but on the other hand it may simply mean that you dont have anymore sex until the day you die but you still live a long life beyond that. You dont know. Its incomplete knowledge of the future in that respect but do you dump it as a result of thinking about this?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I think I would dump it.

The knowledge would control and influence me too much, to the point where I would spend my time obsessing over determinism and by trying so hard not to be influenced by it that I end up making it happen anyway. Similar to how curses and voodoo work, or rather: don't.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I would go into a deep depression knowing that the laws of the universe allow us knowledge of the future, but only in the form of of a sex list. The implications would be boggling, then I would start obsessing about the composition of the paper and the ink, it's origins, etc. I'd probably just allow the names to come up as they were meant to.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm not sure if I phrased the question right you know, like would foreknowledge of sex be enough for you to deal with foreknowledge of your own death?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not sure if I phrased the question right you know, like would foreknowledge of sex be enough for you to deal with foreknowledge of your own death?
    Everyone has foreknowledge of their own death, it's called living. But I know you meant in the extremely specific sense so ok.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I have no interest in knowing either.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

OK this is the plot to a movie I've been watching but it got me thinking and I wanted to pose it to the forum to see what other peoples thoughts were too, you have a list of names provided by a magical oracle machine which are all the women you will have sex with for the rest of your life, do you keep and use the list to track the ladies down or do you dump it deciding not to have knowledge of the future?

The list is finite, so you will inevitably reach the last name on the list, now that does not mean you are going to die, it could, but on the other hand it may simply mean that you dont have anymore sex until the day you die but you still live a long life beyond that. You dont know. Its incomplete knowledge of the future in that respect but do you dump it as a result of thinking about this?
    ...or it could mean you met "The One" (TM) and remain exclusive to each other from then on.

Geez, learn the think logically.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Default Sex, Death and Dread

Sex and death are intimately related in our psyche. Sex is even called, la petite mort (the little death). So it becomes plain that those who have sex for fun are using sex as a psychological defence against death.

It seems we are like hedgehogs with our spikes arrayed as psychological defences against anything that threatens us, particularly death.

Such an array of psychological defences does protect us emotionally and psychologically against threats, but at the same time such psychological defences deaden our capacity to feel alive.

So to defend ourselves against death, we deaden ourselves.

This goes some way to explaining our fascination with movies of The Living Dead, 'cause we are the living dead.

The living dead having sex with the living dead.

The human condition is one of dread.
    Likes AphroditeGoneAwry liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    Now, I know I can be cheesy, but that movie is the cheesiest... like the cheesy butternut squash cavatappi bake my sister made.
    You're right, the movie The Living Dead is dreadful. It is full of the dread we deny daily in order to 'stay on track'.

Who can look dread in the face and smile at our children? So we hide our dread in a cheesy movie, so we can peep at it out of the corner of our eye, and say it is only a movie.

Looking dread in the eye is like looking into the eyes of Medusa: we are turned to stone.

So we can only look at dread seen in the rough reflection of a shield, or in the rough reflection of a cheesy movie. But both the shield and the movie shield us from dread.

Or dare we live in dread?
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    ...or it could mean you met "The One" (TM) and remain exclusive to each other from then on.

Geez, learn the think logically.
    Learn the think?

Yes, it could mean that, although I'm more interested in the scenario in which you have advance knowledge of all your future sexual partners but the downside is that with the last hook up your dead.