User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 15 of 15

  1. #11
    Senior Member Rambling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Learn the think?

    Yes, it could mean that, although I'm more interested in the scenario in which you have advance knowledge of all your future sexual partners but the downside is that with the last hook up your dead.
    Without knowledge of the 'rate' such knowledge is useless...some folk have 100 partners before they are 20, some never have sex at all. So what?

    Unless in some way this is different if you're in the film industry, where I suppose a Groundhog Day kind of repetition might be endlessly possible...

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    Without knowledge of the 'rate' such knowledge is useless...some folk have 100 partners before they are 20, some never have sex at all. So what?

    Unless in some way this is different if you're in the film industry, where I suppose a Groundhog Day kind of repetition might be endlessly possible...
    Hmm, it does depend if you put value on that, which I assume most people do, this is the two things which everyone obsesses about idea, like Freud's Eros and Thanatos.

    Would the plus of information you want, if sex doesnt matter substitute something else, be worth it if you were also made conscious of something you did not want to know, if death doesnt matter substitute something else.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Rambling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hmm, it does depend if you put value on that, which I assume most people do, this is the two things which everyone obsesses about idea, like Freud's Eros and Thanatos.

    Would the plus of information you want, if sex doesnt matter substitute something else, be worth it if you were also made conscious of something you did not want to know, if death doesnt matter substitute something else.
    So you are in fact asking an existential question about attitude to life...I didn't grasp this at all from the previous framework.

    I think you're asking something like:

    Enjoyable activity A is finite in number; does the particular knowledge that it *is* finite *and* the further knowledge that it will lead to unpleasant activity B at the last occurrence, mitigate your pleasure in activity A. And I add to that the assumption that both A and B are in some sense inescapable activities of a lifetime...by which I mean that avoiding A completely would not mitigate B...

    Have I got the question right?

    My answer to that particular conundrum is that given that B is inescapable by any method, I am not at all concerned that A provides a countdown method to it. Especially since as I already commented, no knowledge of the *rate* of occurrence of A is available. (By contrast - if I knew that A happened once a year, and that there were fifteen As before death B, then I could usefully employ an accountant to plan my finances so I exactly ran out of money in fifteen years time...)

    About death and also about repeated experiences in life...I don't think any two experiences are ever the same, not really. I might celebrate my birthday every year, but each year the people and the place are a year different from before. In that way *every* occurrence of A is special and to be enjoyed in the moment, and also every occurrence of A is a small death, a small letting go, a small falling into the totality of momentary Joy, never actually repeatable and thus exquisitely treasurable and uniquely irretrievable afterwards...both fully alive to every moment and fully non-regretful of the past which has been eternally released...

    I think that's how I hope to feel about my life...being in the essential flow of eternal life encapsulated in death, or vice versa, depending on how you prefer to describe it. Life in death, or death of life so life might spring clear from it... I hope that is an existentially framed answer which answers what seemed to me to have become an existential question.

    Tl;dr I'd enjoy every moment of the sex, without limit and without foreshadowing, treasuring each time as special and each partner as unique and rare and precious. I'd drop the counting machine behind the bed and not make any notches on my bedpost either. :-)

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    So you are in fact asking an existential question about attitude to life...I didn't grasp this at all from the previous framework.

    I think you're asking something like:

    Enjoyable activity A is finite in number; does the particular knowledge that it *is* finite *and* the further knowledge that it will lead to unpleasant activity B at the last occurrence, mitigate your pleasure in activity A. And I add to that the assumption that both A and B are in some sense inescapable activities of a lifetime...by which I mean that avoiding A completely would not mitigate B...
    No, not really but it was interesting to see what you wrote, cheers, and I could see how you thought that.

  5. #15
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    ...or it could mean you met "The One" (TM) and remain exclusive to each other from then on.

    Geez, learn the think logically.
    That sounds like thinking wishfully.

    But then nothing says you can't go back and have sex with one of the earlier ones again.

    Who writes this stuff anyway? Sounds like a rather lame plot device.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Sex and the City
    By Jet Stream in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2015, 08:18 AM
  3. Sex and the roles ascribed by it, the most important question?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2012, 04:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO