• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

• Total voters

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm wanting to develop my own blend of martial arts, physical training and serious exploration of spiritual disciplines besides prayer, meditation and reflective journaling which I'm familiar with already.
Several martial arts styles already combine all these elements, though there is significant variation in emphasis from school to school. Some shy away from the spiritual dimension to try to avoid alienating people who might think that is incompatible with their religion, but many delve into it alongside the physical training.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pagan.

I believe the world itself is alive, tbh. Religion provides a way to tap into what is often described as the web of life, which connects us all. I also think our view of what is 'life/alive' is limited. The energy that crystals give off, for instance...it feels very much like the energy a supposed living being gives off. Places can have personalities and moods and your subconscious holds the doorway to other realms with otherworldly inhabitants.

In the words of Delenn (Bab 5): 'We are the Universe, made manifest.'

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your complicated body system was created by God is foolish idea= your PC was created by a manufacturer is a foolish idea..
Why do you think the manufacturer would show himself to you any way? As for God, he would show himself to you after death anyway so he don't need you to believe him, and don't need you to make judges about believers, take your atheism with you and take off!!

Lark

Your complicated body system was created by God is foolish idea= your PC was created by a manufacturer is a foolish idea..
Why do you think the manufacturer would show himself to you any way? As for God, he would show himself to you after death anyway so he don't need you to believe him, and don't need you to make judges about believers, take your atheism with you and take off!!

Well, that's unfortunate *sigh* meanwhile there's believers who arent that vexed by other peoples lack of belief, we can all get along.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, that's unfortunate *sigh* meanwhile there's believers who arent that vexed by other peoples lack of belief, we can all get along.

Calling the idea of God (foolish) is humiliating to many people, you can choose to believe whatever you want but never underestimate a believer intellectuality, and that's what I've noticed is happening around here..

Lark

Calling the idea of God (foolish) is humiliating to many people, you can choose to believe whatever you want but never underestimate a believer intellectuality, and that's what I've noticed is happening around here..

I would say that its a good idea to treat others as you would have them treat you but never expect that others will adopt that idea themselves. I'm not perfect and dont succeed in doing so most of the time but I dont think a discussion really goes anywhere when you start down the "take your ideas and shove them" road.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would say that its a good idea to treat others as you would have them treat you but never expect that others will adopt that idea themselves. I'm not perfect and dont succeed in doing so most of the time but I dont think a discussion really goes anywhere when you start down the "take your ideas and shove them" road.

When I think of becoming atheist, it would be to not involve myself in too many questions and discussion I'll be just glad there's no God that would tell me to do or not to do, it's strange that you guys keep involving in all these religion talks.. Anyway, the discussion only starts when you (speaking generally) saying your opinion without offending others, but when you offend others in your comments it's not a discussion anymore.. So my message was for the offenders only..you wanna talk? Talk with respect and you shall be respected, you wanna offend others? You better go away and we can be offensive as much as you are..
So you see the discussion in this case didn't start from here, it actually ended here..

Mole

Permabanned

The simple fact is that for 3,000 years, since the Ancient Greeks, we have found no evidence at all for the existence of supernatural beings.

xXMariahXx

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a Christian and (an imperfect) follower of Jesus Christ.

I see God in everything around me.. I can't look at the majesty and intricacy of nature, the beauty and valiance of the human spirit, the innocence and love of the children I nanny.. and think that it all just is with no reason. I believe in God as creator.. but more than just creator. The God of the Bible is displayed as a Father God who created us to be family and object of His inherent love.

I've seen personal evidence of God in my life through continually experiencing specifically answered prayers.

What do you believe

I doctrinally believe:
- The Bible (Old and New Testaments) as inspired of God and revelation of God to man.
- The true God as having revealed Himself as Creator of Heaven and Earth, an eternal being with no beginning or end, the embodiment of the Father/Son/Holy Spirit, and the redeemer of mankind.
- Jesus Christ as the eternal Son of God.
- Man's redemption through the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
- Salvation received through repentance toward God and faith toward Jesus Christ. Washed, regenerated, and renewed by God's Spirit, man becomes an heir of God, and given eternal life in Heaven.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not at all. One is organic, the other inorganic, for starters. But then I build my own computers, from components that I have more insight into the fabrication of than most folks probably do.

Calling the idea of a flat earth or an earth-centric universe foolish was humiliating to many people as well, including people in power who were able to persecute those responsible for dispelling their ignorance. (I suppose that means ignorance is oppression, not bliss.) Believers are going to have to come up with better rationales for their beliefs if they want to have intellectual credibility along with their religious ardor.

When I think of becoming atheist, it would be to not involve myself in too many questions and discussion I'll be just glad there's no God that would tell me to do or not to do, it's strange that you guys keep involving in all these religion talks.. Anyway, the discussion only starts when you (speaking generally) saying your opinion without offending others, but when you offend others in your comments it's not a discussion anymore.. So my message was for the offenders only..you wanna talk? Talk with respect and you shall be respected, you wanna offend others? You better go away and we can be offensive as much as you are..
Some believers are offended by the mere suggestion that there might be any validity to beliefs divergent from their own. No one is entitled to go through life without ever feeling offense. Sometimes this is simply a by-product of the cognitive dissonance that results when a deeply held belief is questioned, however courteous the questioning. I see little respect in just telling people what they want to hear, and glossing over differences as if they don't exist.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The simple fact is that for 3,000 years, since the Ancient Greeks, we have found no evidence at all for the existence of supernatural beings.

Supernatural beings like God?
See the fact that you imagine God to be just like any other creature you can sense with conventional ways, you said (beings) how do you know if God is merely a being just like anything else? You have no idea how he looks like, I don't either, but as for evidence of his existence is everywhere around you, is more than you can think of.. and no matter how much human brain has achieved over these years, they wouldn't have achieved all of that without knowing more and more about the universe he had created, and he created the brain you are making these analysis using it, your brain is NOT a coincidence, you can otherwise but who cares anyway

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not at all. One is organic, the other inorganic, for starters. But then I build my own computers, from components that I have more insight into the fabrication of than most folks probably do.
While building it you -God forbid- cut off your hand, now try building a new hand with flesh and blood..
Calling the idea of a flat earth or an earth-centric universe foolish was humiliating to many people as well, including people in power who were able to persecute those responsible for dispelling their ignorance. (I suppose that means ignorance is oppression, not bliss.) Believers are going to have to come up with better rationales for their beliefs if they want to have intellectual credibility along with their religious ardor.
There are somethings you should know about me and many believers..
Any religion against science do not worth believing in.
I'm strongly against religion used to gain certain authorities over the fates of people..
Religion is only your relationship with God.. Any other human faults is only human thing, God have nothing to do with any of that..
And I think atheist should come up with better rationals for their beliefs other than the huge natural coincidence.. I see that to be as much intellectual as you think of the idea that universe was actually created..

Some believers are offended by the mere suggestion that there might be any validity to beliefs divergent from their own. No one is entitled to go through life without ever feeling offense. Sometimes this is simply a by-product of the cognitive dissonance that results when a deeply held belief is questioned, however courteous the questioning. I see little respect in just telling people what they want to hear, and glossing over differences as if they don't exist.
I luckily have the ability to know if the person is questioning or just trying to play smart..
Religious people do not see any validity to what atheists believe in because they found it irrational.. Fair enough!!

Mole

Permabanned
your brain is NOT a coincidence

Of course the brain of any creature is not a coincidence, rather it is a result of Natural Selection of DNA.

A common misunderstanding of Natural Selection is that it is random chance but Natural Selection is not random, nor is it coincidental. Random Selection is not a result of chance. And nor is Natural Selection the result of a supernatural designer.

We know Natural Selection is a natural process which we can describe mathematically.

A good place to start understanding Natural Selection is Charles Darwin's book, The Origin of Species.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course the brain of any creature is not a coincidence, rather it is a result of Natural Selection of DNA.

A common misunderstanding of Natural Selection is that it is random chance but Natural Selection is not random, nor is it coincidental. Random Selection is not a result of chance. And nor is Natural Selection the result of a supernatural designer.

We know Natural Selection is a completely natural process which we can describe mathematically.

A good place to start understanding Natural Selection is Charles Darwin's book, The Origin of Species.

So you agree there is a certain selection and mathematics but you think it was nature? The nature have that brain which also created it self!!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't practice anything, I have been told I follow the new testament pretty good. I have never read it so I don't know. I just live the way I wanna live. I practice nothing though. I look at it all from an outsider observing the good, bad, and ugly. I even say thank god, pray, etc. Respect religions though I may disagree.

Lark

I don't practice anything, I have been told I follow the new testament pretty good. I have never read it so I don't know. I just live the way I wanna live. I practice nothing though. I look at it all from an outsider observing the good, bad, and ugly. I even say thank god, pray, etc. Respect religions though I may disagree.

You could be in a state of grace without realising it.

Mole

Permabanned
The Three Headed God and the Big Bang

So you agree there is a certain selection and mathematics but you think it was nature? The nature have that brain which also created it self!!

Natural Selection is a process. It describes how different species are formed from DNA.

Charles Darwin discovered Natural Selection. And Natural Selection has been confirmed by the sequencing of DNA.

Natural Selection was not designed to produce us.

I understand you believe God created the universe and everything in it. So as you are a Christian you believe that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit created the Big Bang. We have just recently measured, observed and analysed the background radiation of the Big Bang, not once but twice, with even more accuracy the second time. And there is not a fingerprint, a signature or a message in the Big Bang from God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. In short, there is no evidence the Trinity created the Big Bang.

But just pull back a little and consider what you believe. You believe a three headed God created the Big Bang. This is not only preposterous but also amusing.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While building it you -God forbid- cut off your hand, now try building a new hand with flesh and blood..
The organic/inorganic distinction still holds, to encompass also modern prosthetics.

There are somethings you should know about me and many believers..
Any religion against science do not worth believing in.
I'm strongly against religion used to gain certain authorities over the fates of people..
Religion is only your relationship with God.. Any other human faults is only human thing, God have nothing to do with any of that..

And I think atheist should come up with better rationals for their beliefs other than the huge natural coincidence.. I see that to be as much intellectual as you think of the idea that universe was actually created..
The highlighted views are admirable. I see atheists on a par with believers in that their perspective likewise rests on belief, not proof. Just as we cannot prove that God exists, we cannot prove that God does not. This makes agnosticism the only logically defensible position.

I luckily have the ability to know if the person is questioning or just trying to play smart..
Religious people do not see any validity to what atheists believe in because they found it irrational.. Fair enough!!
This is not the argument I hear most often against atheists/atheism.

As for natural selection, [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION]'s explanation is right on the money.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Natural Selection is a process. It describes how different species are formed from DNA.

Charles Darwin discovered Natural Selection. And Natural Selection has been confirmed by the sequencing of DNA.

Natural Selection was not designed to produce us.

I understand you believe God created the universe and everything in it. So as you are a Christian you believe that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit created the Big Bang. We have just recently measured, observed and analysed the background radiation of the Big Bang, not once but twice, with even more accuracy the second time. And there is not a fingerprint, a signature or a message in the Big Bang from God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. In short, there is no evidence the Trinity created the Big Bang.

But just pull back a little and consider what you believe. You believe a three headed God created the Big Bang. This is not only preposterous but also amusing.

Who created the DNA which Darwin has just discovered? The intelligent nature, you call it nature I call it God that's the difference..
It was not DESIGNED: I'm glad you used that word buddy.
yeah it was NOT designed it comes naturally, yet our human brain couldn't figure it out until like billion years later, so why do you think everything should be subjected to your human brain when there is much powerful brain that is beyond the ability of human brain, human brain is just discovering and trying to figure things out..
As for the Big Bang, ok this "Bang" should have been something that actually bangs, some material, where did that material come from anyway? There must be a time where it wasn't there at all right? I don't buy that it was just there I'm sorry..
And of course any theory can NEVER be proven by evidence unless we test it by actual experiment, which is almost impossible just like finding an actual God being hiding here or there and saying: Hey you found me you wicked witch!!
So if you just think it's how it is (Big Bang or any other creation theory) , then that would make you and Darwin and any other atheist an actual believers just like those who believe in God..