• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

• Total voters

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Let us refine the definition of the word God then.

This is an interesting point, as what one person's definition of what they view as being "God" may vary to what other people think. To me, the term is an obsolete way of explaining things, and a diversion from the truth, no matter how uncomfortable that truth may be.

What is your definition?

Lark

This is an interesting point, as what one person's definition of what they view as being "God" may vary to what other people think. To me, the term is an obsolete way of explaining things, and a diversion from the truth, no matter how uncomfortable that truth may be.

What is your definition?

I recall reading about a scientist presenting their theory of the cosmos at the time of the french revolutionary upheavel saying they had no need for that "hypothesis", I would say that this is an impoverished and human, all too human definition of God, although most of the time it is of no consequence what anyone thinks about God or how they define God.

The most interesting atheist definitions of God I've heard are those of Erich Fromm, who believed it was a psychological trait or construct of the mind, that the universal man or universal human character and its tension with the actual existing human or social character accounted for most religious or mystical experience, a naturalist explanation for most supernatural phenomenon which I think pays respect and homage to religion as human experience as it should.

Jung's definition of God in the psyche, as an archetype, is a good example of theism which takes account of the anthropomorphism issue.

Although, most of those are interesting, I like to read, but while they may be necessary they are never sufficient in explaining my thinking about God and I'm not sure that anything of human invention could, Wittgenstein (spelling) was correct about the limits of human language on that score.

Mane

Permabanned
I am a 6, also. I live as though God doesn't exist.

hmm...

dawkins-scale.jpg

My range is 4-6, usually closer to 5, jumps to 6 when confronted with theists, and 7 when confronted with the more specific variations of god as described in the nitty gritty of any religion. Had a 3ish phase in my teens /spiritual

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmm...

dawkins-scale.jpg

My range is 4-6, usually closer to 5, jumps to 6 when confronted with theists, and 7 when confronted with the more specific variations of god as described in the nitty gritty of any religion. Had a 3ish phase in my teens /spiritual

I spent a decent chunk of my life as a 4. When I was very young, I might have been a 3, but that didn't last long. I know that as early as 3rd grade, I was a 4.

I think within the last year or two I've definitely become a 6.

Mane

Permabanned
This is a wise approach to morality without religion. I'd be willing to bet that it comes from being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Notice, also, in the poll above how there is little correlation between religious belief and political attitudes. Some of our most conservative members are unbelievers.

That might be forshadowing: I can easily see a scanerio where the american left becomes more christian and reliant on the growing latino vote and in the process takes more and more of the conservatives from the republicans, while republicans focus increasingly on more progressive forms of libertarians.

I spent a decent chunk of my life as a 4. When I was very young, I might have been a 3, but that didn't last long. I know that as early as 3rd grade, I was a 4.

I think within the last year or two I've definitely become a 6.

This is mostly semantics, but I still consider 4 atheist. If you do not make a positive statement about what the universe is, you do not have active belief - thus a non believer.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That might be forshadowing: I can easily see a scanerio where the american left becomes more christian and reliant on the growing latino vote and in the process takes more and more of the conservatives from the republicans, while republicans focus increasingly on more progressive forms of libertarians.

This is mostly semantics, but I still consider 4 atheist. If you do not make a positive statement about what the universe is, you do not have active belief - thus a non believer.

I'm not really sure, but I am fairly certain that the political landscape is going to shift dramatically as millennials become more and more prominent.

Mane

Permabanned
I'm not really sure, but I am fairly certain that the political landscape is going to shift dramatically as millennials become more and more prominent.

Probably, though not as fast as in the past.

With the population "pyramid" of the past looking more like the empire states building:
AgeStructures.gif

New generations might take a much longer time to become a prominent voting demographic, perhaps not even reaching a majority before the even younger generation goes it's own way - if in the past a new generation was almost immediately the new dominant culture, today each generation might be it's own relative minority, along a longer spectrum (Longer life) and possibly even shorter periods (Accelerating changes). This means that even if individually change might happen faster for younger people, the result is that as a society change in values would take longer to have an influence, if at all - As far as we know, while generation Y might be mostly non religious gen Z could prove to be the new religious revival.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

With the population "pyramid" of the past looking more like the empire states building:
AgeStructures.gif

New generations might take a much longer time to become a prominent voting demographic, perhaps not even reaching a majority before the even younger generation goes it's own way - if in the past a new generation was almost immediately the new dominant culture, today each generation might be it's own relative minority, along a longer spectrum (Longer life) and possibly even shorter periods (Accelerating changes). This means that even if individually change might happen faster for younger people, the result is that as a society change in values would take longer to have an influence, if at all - As far as we know, while generation Y might be mostly non religious gen Z could prove to be the new religious revival.

I'm not following you. The older generation will have to give way to the younger generation eventually. At some point, we're going to be the arbiter of values; I don't see how that's escapable.

I think the media is also slowly starting to reflect a change in values. Shows like Parks and Recreation, the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Girls, Game of Thrones and Broad City seem to reflect a more millennial view of the world than something like Two and a Half Men or The Big Bang Theory.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hmm...

dawkins-scale.jpg

Yeah, that's what I forgot to mention: I'm a 7 when it comes to certain specifically defined deities, such as the Christian God. There is no way that a God such as the one described in the Bible could possibly exist due to internal impossibilities in the very definition itself. In this case, I'm mostly referring to the big three traits: omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent. It is quite clear to me that if a deity exists, it could not possibly be all three, if we lookat the deity's historical.

I'm a 6 when it comes to deities a d ghe supernatural in general.

Mane

Permabanned
I'm not following you. The older generation will have to give way to the younger generation eventually. At some point, we're going to be the arbiter of values; I don't see how that's escapable.

If you look at Kenya, there are more people under 30 then everyone else combined, the 4 age group tires between 20 and 34 form the majority of adults, as it used to be in most of the western world. Under that pyramid structure with the base - the youngest - the biggest tire of the population, which meant that upon reaching adulthood it took a very short while for them to become the majority of adults, enabling them to critically dominant and define the prevailing culture at the time.

In the skyscraper structure, the same generation, people between 20 and 34, are not really a significantly larger population then the people between 35 and 50. Instead of a new overwhelming majority, they are minorities sitting side by side. And you are correct that they will get older and if you continue to add each tire of "new adults" into their numbers, they will eventually outnumber those above them - that is the line gets pushed up and when they become 49, if you count everyone between 20 to 49 they would indeed be the new majority of adults.
But if you want to account for shift in culture & values, is that the correct way to count them? After all, in the pyramid structure the older 3 tires that gave way to the new majority were once the new majority, which you could notice if you kept looking at the same 3 tires over the years. Likewise, as time progresses the newer generation matures, and just as millennials differ from those older so could gen z differ from millennials. So instead, when the people between 20 and 34 become 35-49, they have a new generation with their own cultural shift and values between 20 and 34 on one side, and the older generation - slightly smaller if at all - between 50 to 64. Neither one got to be the overwhelming new adult majority, they are instead multiple minorities living side by side. Even if each age block is drastically different from the next, neither one of those ever gets to become the overwhelming influential majority of consumers, employees, voters defining our culture. They are each a minority voters, each a niche market. To apply this to the topic at hand: In order for the non religious values among millennials to ever become the majority, we'd need the next 3 generations to feel exactly the same.. And culture is rarely that linear in it's paradigm and value shifts.

More so, the better we get at extending life, less influence each block would have, a 15 years generational block was a lot more influential when the average lifespan ended at 30 then when it ended at 75, each of those blocks is becoming a smaller less influential minority. And all this post you might be asking... Why the fuck do I keep using a 3 x 5 years block? Generations measured by 25 or 20 years, sure... But 15? That's never used... Which is true and brings me to the next point:
If we continue to face accelerating changes in the ways that directly impact the culture of the kids growing up within it, if we are getting faster and faster at generating new ideas, content, art, lifestyle options, means to communicate, dreams, ambitions, and fears, and all the things that inspire and enable new values to grow on within the new generation... Then the block size in which we can make any cohesive generalizations of culture and values should actually become smaller. For a more extreme example for simplicity's sake, If the people ages 20-to-40 have faced twice as many cultural impacting changes as the people 40 to 60, and the breakdown of exposure and influence by those changes is more or less divided by age, then the people in their 20s and can be as different from the people in their 30s as those are from people in their 50s. It makes more sense to measure generational cultures by increasingly smaller time intervals, which means that not only can the defining characteristics of "the new generation" no longer be the overwhelming majority of society, it is now morphing into a smaller minority. This is what I mean by new individuals changing faster but society as a whole changing slower.

(Unless ofcourse the new kids decide their new thing is to go back to families with 10 kids at which point they might restore the pyramid structure and the whole point is mute... But unless something happens like immortality or full body and mind cloning/replication or space colonization or a decree to kill everyone older then you becomes the new religion... The gen to restore the pyramid is probably not going to be millennials).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
American liberals have done a very poor job of leveraging Christian beliefs to support their ideals. The closest in recent history has been people like Martin Luther King jr. and the civil rights movement. Yes, indeed - it would be interesting if they finally figure this one out and realize that there is, or can be, a substantial Christian Left.

Its a line from a Bob Marley song.
Not familiar with Bob Marley, so I don't understand the reference either. Alas.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

AgeStructures.gif

In a world where we have an ever increasing amount of information, and an increased potential for people to make up their own minds, I cannot see there being a religious revival. Unless there was an increasing propensity to pull the wool over people's eyes about the truth of the world.

No doubt that religion is already doing this, though. Like any other business enterprise, you've got to do what you have to do to keep it running...

jamain

MBTI Type
IST_
Do you contest the claim that there are contradictory/inconsistent statements in the Bible?

This is a very old post, sorry it took me so long to respond. I mostly spend time on PerC. I wondered if you were the same Eska from PerC?

Now to your comment...

Depends upon what one considers to be a contradictory/inconsistent statement. Many post long list of contradictions that would take one forever to wade through. Then claim that since the other person didn't spend the next 10 hours researching all of them in order to refute, that their claim is validated. I could dedicate the next 10 hours to that, but I won't because I really don't think most really care.

Here is an article that addresses the claims of contradictory/inconsistent statements. Available for anyone who cares to look at it and evaluate the statements made.

Does the Bible Contradict Itself? - What Do The Scriptures Say?

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
29% of y'all are atheists?!?

That's SO awesome. I'm happy to see a lot of you guys identify as atheists as well. From what I've experienced, general society seems to tread lightly around the issue, like there's some mistrust that comes along with it, so it's nice to see we're a pretty big minority.

I gotta say, I've been pretty closeted about it for a long time. I've found many people I thought were pretty open-minded really don't favor the non-believers, so now I just keep it to myself. It's not a big deal, it's not like I need anything to be done differently, it's just one of those awkward things when people ask to pray or say 'god bless you', and all I can think of is 'oh you're so sweet...' :shrug:

Lark

I'm wanting to develop my own blend of martial arts, physical training and serious exploration of spiritual disciplines besides prayer, meditation and reflective journaling which I'm familiar with already.

Crabs

Permabanned
I'm wanting to develop my own blend of martial arts, physical training and serious exploration of spiritual disciplines besides prayer, meditation and reflective journaling which I'm familiar with already.

Or you could fulfill your nerd fantasies at a Star Wars convention instead of taking yourself so seriously. You might even get laid.

star-wars-jedi-knight-costume-child.jpg

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Atheist.

For most of my life I've called myself an agnostic. My beliefs didn't change, but I realized that for the purposes of most other people, they get closer to understanding my position faster if I call myself atheist rather than agnostic. I'm only agnostic because of uncertainty about the existence of god at an abstract, philosophical level that must people never even seem to get around to.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Episcopalian. Just started going back to church with the lady.

Not every week, but a couple of times a month.

Mole

Permabanned
Faith and Reason

It seems to me we are meaning creating animals, and so religion is a concerted attempt to give meaning to our existence.

And also it seems that most of us in the world a religion is given to us at birth, and is our birthright.

So what is my birthright?

I have inherited Western culture based on Ancient Greek philosophy, maths, science and art, Judaism, Christianity, and the Enlightenment.

So I am a man of faith and reason, held in fruitful tension.