• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

• Total voters

Passacaglia

If I had the desire to understand, I would study it and try to read things in context, as well as consider the culture of that time.

What makes you conclude that there are only 4 people at this time? Are you aware that the bible doesn't typically list the birth of female children?

Do we know much about this city? You probably envision it as we would describe a city now, but do we really know what is meant by city in this passage?
Genesis 4:17 Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch.
Yes, like I said, I can think of a couple hypotheses to explain this particular contradiction. And I could join a Bible group, or consult Biblical scholars, or spend hours scouring the internet for answers to the Bible's many oddities and contradictions. (Because the internet never lies, right?) To be fair to other religions though, I'd have to spend as much time learning about each of those faiths. More time, actually, because I already know much more about Christianity than I do about any other religion simply by living in the U.S. for my entire life! Because I should be keeping an open mind, right?

Which brings me to my magazine metaphor, which I note you haven't responded to. Just as I had 50+ story submissions to screen every day, there are what, about a half-dozen major modern religions plus thousands of less populated and/or extinct religions? I'm sure this seems like a poor metaphor to you because you've already accepted the Bible as something more than fiction, and maybe you were even born and raised with Christianity, so the Bible seems inherently worthy of more consideration than other books. But to myself and others, that's all the Bible is; a book. An old book to sure, and a popular book in the western world; but not unique. It's one of many old books that get shelved in their own special section at Barnes & Noble because enough people think there's some kind of truth in it.

Since you haven't responded to my metaphor, I'll pose a much more literal question to you: For every hour you've spent reading the Bible, for every bit of energy you've devoted to understanding the Christian faith, have you spent an equal amount of time and energy trying to understand other holy texts and faiths? Not an hour and a bit for all other faiths, mind you; an hour and a bit for each other faith for each hour and bit you've devoted to Christianity. Have you spent as much effort trying to understand the mysteries of Buddha's and of Athena's miraculous births as you have the contradictory mystery of the Holy Trinity? How about Odin's death and wisdom-granting rebirth on Yggdrasil? How about the Quran, which has the unique claim to being written in the divine script itself?

Why or why not? Answer this question for yourself honestly, and you should get an idea of why Eska and I and others consider the Bible (and other holy texts) too contradictory to believe, even if each of those contradictions have possible explanations.

Lark

How many times have you said something like this to me? You know I'm like this so it's your own fault when you engage me. Don't give me this highfalutin bullshit.

Too often, that is to say every occasion you've provided for it, dont worry I wont trouble myself again. I know for sure you're happy being ignorant. Dont worry Sprinkles, after all, its just "highfalutin bullshit" right? :happy2::bye:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Too often, that is to say every occasion you've provided for it, dont worry I wont trouble myself again. I know for sure you're happy being ignorant. Dont worry Sprinkles, after all, its just "highfalutin bullshit" right? :happy2::bye:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've heard that before. You didn't keep your word then either.

Lark

Yes, like I said, I can think of a couple hypotheses to explain this particular contradiction. And I could join a Bible group, or consult Biblical scholars, or spend hours scouring the internet for answers to the Bible's many oddities and contradictions. (Because the internet never lies, right?) To be fair to other religions though, I'd have to spend as much time learning about each of those faiths. More time, actually, because I already know much more about Christianity than I do about any other religion simply by living in the U.S. for my entire life! Because I should be keeping an open mind, right?

Which brings me to my magazine metaphor, which I note you haven't responded to. Just as I had 50+ story submissions to screen every day, there are what, about a half-dozen major modern religions plus thousands of less populated and/or extinct religions? I'm sure this seems like a poor metaphor to you because you've already accepted the Bible as something more than fiction, and maybe you were even born and raised with Christianity, so the Bible seems inherently worthy of more consideration than other books. But to myself and others, that's all the Bible is; a book. An old book to sure, and a popular book in the western world; but not unique. It's one of many old books that get shelved in their own special section at Barnes & Noble because enough people think there's some kind of truth in it.

Since you haven't responded to my metaphor, I'll pose a much more literal question to you: For every hour you've spent reading the Bible, for every bit of energy you've devoted to understanding the Christian faith, have you spent an equal amount of time and energy trying to understand other holy texts and faiths? Not an hour and a bit for all other faiths, mind you; an hour and a bit for each other faith for each hour and bit you've devoted to Christianity. Have you spent as much effort trying to understand the mysteries of Buddha's and of Athena's miraculous births as you have the contradictory mystery of the Holy Trinity? How about Odin's death and wisdom-granting rebirth on Yggdrasil? How about the Quran, which has the unique claim to being written in the divine script itself?

Why or why not? Answer this question for yourself honestly, and you should get an idea of why Eska and I and others consider the Bible (and other holy texts) too contradictory to believe, even if each of those contradictions have possible explanations.

I'm not a believer in solo scripture and biblical literalism so I'm less vexed by what you've said than someone who would profess those beliefs, that said I do think you seem to hold a kind of view here of "anything but" christianity is valid, certainly with respect to recommending knowledge of the other faiths, or perhaps you believe that being acquainted with enough alternatives, with the whole pantheon of world religions then the only possible conclusion may be that all religion is merely ficitious and very possibly worthless.

I can not say that I have spent as much time on every faith because I am a practicing Roman Catholic, now I'm not a good one, I would not pretend to that because for every occasion when I can honestly say that I have prevailed against temptation and sin I know there are many examples of when I have not, but none the less I am practicing a faith. That's different from having an interest in one or passing acquaintence with one.

I have investigated all faiths and none, including atheism and humanism, some of my favourite writers are atheists and humanists, but I dont see the dead religions, and even the living ones you mention, to possess any sort of equivalence with my own. Modern consumerism and other cultural trends like it would have people believe its all much of a muchness and to sample as many as possible, especially the novel, until you are satiated but I dont agree.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All of which requires that you accept the premise that the church (what church?) is totalitarian, authoritarian and the "baddy" of the piece.

Surely that is a ridiculous oversimplification?
It is becoming, thankfully, an anachronism at least in the west In earlier centuries the church was so intertwined with the government that it could be hard at times to determine where real temporal power resided. I was going to write more, but [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] has already provided a fine reply.

I have studied at least a few other faiths to be able to make a reasonable comparison, primarily because I was considering adopting one of them, and wanted to know enough to make a rational decision. I should point out, though, that despite being raised Christian in the U.S., I didn't even trust my knowledge of Christianity enough to leave it with good conscience. On faiths like Shinto or Bahai, I had too little information; on Christianity, I had too much. How to sort out the wheat from the chaff? This is why I did an intensive bible study, to make sure I had a reasonable foundation on which to decide.

In this study, and in other discussions before and after, I have met many people who cling to Christianity without much thought or reason. I have also encountered more than a few who follow Christianity and the bible with their eyes open and a truly open and critical mind. These are the folks whose interpretations are allegorical rather than literal, who seek to learn the lessons of the bible rather than prove its historical veracity. It is always a bit sad, though, to see how many mental gymnastics their reasoning must take to reach conclusions much more intuitive and straightforward in other faiths, at least those I have studied.

I'm not a believer in solo scripture and biblical literalism so I'm less vexed by what you've said than someone who would profess those beliefs, that said I do think you seem to hold a kind of view here of "anything but" christianity is valid, certainly with respect to recommending knowledge of the other faiths, or perhaps you believe that being acquainted with enough alternatives, with the whole pantheon of world religions then the only possible conclusion may be that all religion is merely ficitious and very possibly worthless.
Not at all. Some people here, on the other hand, seem to hold the opinion that only Christianity is valid. There is nothing wrong with deciding to follow Christianity, or any specific faith, because it is right for you. What is counterproductive and short-sighted is to claim by extension that your faith is the only right one at all, for anyone, and that you have nothing to learn from or appreciate in other faiths.

I would use language as an analogy. Humans have an innate need and ability to communicate, much of which is done through language. Different languages have developed in different parts of the world, all serving this purpose in their own way. In preferring our own language, however, and even neglecting to learn others, we don't usually cast aspersions on speakers of other languages, or claim ours is better. Some of us learn additional languages, to be able to communicate directly with more people, or simply for the enjoyment of learning. We also recognize the contributions of other languages to our own, and the commonalities that are found in language groups.

Religion operates in a similar way, meeting the need for spiritual connection and communication. We can place our own religion first without denigrating others or refusing to try to understand them even a little bit.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you heard of the Jefferson bible?
Yes.

Yes, I am familiar with that view, I believe that Jung had a version of it too.
The Bahai's call it progressive revelation. Much of Joseph Campbell's writings touch on it as well.

Perhaps reinventing the wheel was the wrong analogy, perhaps memory serves as a better one, because that is what any tradition properly understood is.

I do not see how the process which in an individual or on an individual scale of forgetting, of complete amnesia and relearning from scratch would appear patently absurd and ruinous or indicative of some powerful trauma when considered on a societal scale is progressive.
I am not sure I understand your meaning here. No one is suggesting amnesia, but rather dismissal of the old or other version as lacking relevance, its meaning lost. We see this in the bible itself, as Jesus both follows the Jewish laws, but goes beyond to teach a new law. A similar transition occurs between Islam and Bahai faith. Every teacher knows students have different ways of learning, and not everyone responds well to the same thing.

Mole

Permabanned
Religion operates in a similar way, meeting the need for spiritual connection and communication. We can place our own religion first without denigrating others or refusing to try to understand them even a little bit.

And we can now have sprititualiy without religion as in the book Waking Up: Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Though not unique to Chistianity due to coming from the Old Testament, the story of Adam and Eve would be great comedy if so many people didn't take it as literal fact:

Yahweh creates Adam and Eve, the Tree of Life, and the Tree of Knowledge, puts all of them in Eden together, and then tells A & E "Don't eat the apples." Thus Yahweh is either deliberately setting A & E up for the Fall, or he doesn't know what any halfway decent parent knows -- that putting a thing within arm's reach of a person, particularly a young/innocent person, and then telling them not to touch it is virtually a sure-fire way to get them to do exactly that. Afterward when Yahweh discovers that the apple is missing from the Tree of Knowledge, he searches for but can't find A & E because they're hiding behind a bush! Oh and IIRC, soon after leaving Eden, A & E discover preexisting cities full of people!

From an ancient Yawheh-is-arbitrary-and-capricious perspective, there might arguably not be any inherent contradiction. (At least until A & E discover those cities.) And I'm sure that modern believers have all kinds of ways to reconcile this stuff. (Heck, early Christian Gnostics had a rather elaborate and interesting explanation!) But from a modern God-is-benevolent-and-all-knowing perspective, the whole story is very contradictory at least on its surface.

See Also: Wiki Article on Biblical Consistency

Teaching a child to obey a No is crucial to the survival of a child... Boundaries are usually there for a reason. :doh:

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I choose to study the bible in preference since no other mainstream religion claims a resurrection over death, whihc does strike me as a fairly key difference since death is inevitable.

As for truth, and the magazine article, you are judging stories based upon the magazine audience who are trained to expect information presented in a particular and rather scientific style. This style of writing and communication was not viewed as so important until about 200 years ago when science became more important.

Consider truth contained in children's stories. Why tell your kids about Goldilocks or Red Riding Hood or Sleeping Beauty or any other myth? Truth is sometimes ewsier to remember and understand when it is formed in human shape and in human stories instead of in scientific textbooks (which do go out of date, by the way, so no claim to absolute truth there).. Ah, did I say formed in human shape... I understand my self by looking at the perfection of Jesus. And worshipping Him and being His friend.:)

Passacaglia

Christianity is as valid or invalid as any other religion. I'm emphasizing other religions in my conversation with jamain to illustrate the agnostic/atheist POV. As an alternate illustration, take you for comparison:

I can not say that I have spent as much time on every faith because I am a practicing Roman Catholic, now I'm not a good one, I would not pretend to that because for every occasion when I can honestly say that I have prevailed against temptation and sin I know there are many examples of when I have not, but none the less I am practicing a faith. That's different from having an interest in one or passing acquaintence with one.
And who could blame you? I suspect that if you were to give as much time to even just the other big world religions as you do to Catholicism, you'd have to give up your job, your friends, your hobbies, or all of the above! So you chose a faith that feels right to you, one that you're comfortable and familiar with, quite likely the one you were raised with, and are now living happily with your choice.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Which illustrates my point: Everyone's life has a limited 'bandwidth,' no matter how open minded one is. Unless one happens to be truly convinced that there is a singular religious truth and that it can be determined with just a little more searching -- like an alcoholic who knows he'll feel better after just one more drink -- there's only so much time and energy that can be devoted to investigating religion. Everyone has to draw a line somewhere and decide how to live their lives; whether by picking a big organized religion, a more individualistic religion, choosing pure spirituality, deciding to reserve judgment on spiritual matters, and/or to simply live without faith.

Mole

Permabanned
I understand my self by looking at the perfection of Jesus. And worshipping Him and being His friend.:)

I wonder if you know what this means as we become what we worship, and if you continue to worship Jesus you might end up like Jesus on the Cross.

Passacaglia

I choose to study the bible in preference since no other mainstream religion claims a resurrection over death, whihc does strike me as a fairly key difference since death is inevitable.
The claim of resurrection is certainly an appealing one, and if I'd been born into Christianity no doubt I'd think it was a big deal. And if I'd been born into Judaism I'd think being one of the Chosen people was a big deal; if I'd been born into Islam I'd think the great authenticity of the Quran and the Arabic script was a big deal; if I'd been born into Bahai I'd think that being the latest and most progressive of the Abrahamic faiths was a big deal; if I were a Buddhist I'd think that escaping the endless cycle of reincarnation was a big deal ('cause who would want to live forever?); if I were born into Hinduism, well...I'm sure you see where this is going. The followers of every faith think they have something special, and if I were a Biblical literalist I'd probably relegate my all-powerful Creator to the role of an abusive parent who sets up arbitrary and virtually un-passable tests with cruel punishments to teach his children lessons toward an unspecified purpose too.

Mole

Permabanned
Teaching a child to obey a No is crucial to the survival of a child... Boundaries are usually there for a reason. :doh:

In an authoritarian society teaching our child to obey is crucial for the survival of the child.

On the other hand, in a helping society, where we help our children achieve their life goals, teaching our children empathy and creativity is crucial for their success.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Adam and Eve weren't children, nor are we (at least the adults among us). This is why that story is at best allegory, and a rather harmful one at that. Parents who demand a child obey unreasonable "No's" will lose that child's respect as he grows older and learns more about how the world works. But then that is just what is happening in the Garden of Eden: God wants to prevent humans from having that knowledge. Perhaps this is the origin of the saying "ignorance is bliss".

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I may not be understanding your point here properly, if that's the case then please clarify. However . . .

It is possible to test a lot of things in the physical world. Admittedly there is an element of 'the truth will become apparent' in science, like religion, because experiments can be interpreted differently; I think this is more true of physics than biology, say, although even in biology something correlational can easily be wrong. But the point is that our conclusions have implications in the physical world that are at least theoretically testable. And if they don't bear out in practice, then we know to revise.

Science does have a fair bit of philosophy and unspoken assumptions. But it seems to work. So that suggests to me that there is something real going on.

Religion, so far as I can tell, is inherently not testable. We can't really know if something real is going on or not, not in the same sense as we can with a physical experiment.

That doesn't automatically rule out the possibility of knowing whether or not a religion has something to it, but it does make it difficult to know how we should approach it. I am highly concerned about deluding myself; if something is true I want to to be true for certain.

So far I've not found a satisfactory methodology for approaching religious questions; I've just succeeded in ruling out all the methodologies I've come across, except accepting its truth as an axiom, rather like Euclid's axioms.

The results I get when I construct my worldview with a religious axiom are . . . interesting. I prefer the worldview that includes the religious axiom because it is more symmetrical and intellectually complete, but I don't think that is a good enough reason to assert that it is true. So I just have faith that it is.

Oh, I agree that objective positions can't be used. Or at least none that I've come across. They're all variations of extreme agnosticism. Even when they integrate 'evolutionary advantage' as a justification for behavioral choices, since an is doesn't get you an ought, at most they get a 'placeholder' default behavior to be followed until they get evidence for a better set of behaviors. Since they know their behavior is just a default, that should objectively strip anything like 'moral outrage' at the behavior of others; however, since 'moral outrage' is just another evolutionary behavior shouldn't it continue? But not if they are intellectually honest . . . There are a bunch of problems.

In practice humans must pick an option, or at minimum a set of axioms, and then make decisions based on those assumptions. But I continue to be aware that other systems could be constructed, and that I don't have a good objective reason to invalidate those other systems. That bothers me, because I don't want 'a system', I want The System.

What would you consider an objective criteria?

I don't think all systems bring equal results, but positing that good results are the criteria is a problem because our definition of good results is subjective unless you go with a naturalistic pseudo evolutionary definition, but that in turn leads you back around to the extreme agnosticism which has the problems I outlined above.

If good results are not the criteria, what are?

See, I don't think that faith in the context of religion is at all similar to faith in the context of other things. My faith in regards other people just means I have no reason to believe they are fakes, and I might have some evidence that they are not. But that would change if new evidence came up. So I wouldn't call that faith, just my best estimate of the situation.

On the other hand, religious faith should be unshakeable; at least in Christianity, repeatedly this is emphasized. The disciples who believed without seeing Jesus resurrected are praised above 'doubting Thomas' who needed the evidence. To take one example.

So if religious faith should be unshakeable, the logical conclusion to me is that it should be totally divorced from any evidence. But if that's the case, what caused you to believe in the first place?

I am not certain on whether my idea of faith is a sound concept; I have the sense something is missing . . .

I haven't concluded that God doesn't exist, on the contrary I firmly believe that He does on the basis of faith. I just don't have a good system to justify that belief because I think my current conception leaves much to be desired.

My basic trajectory is inspired by this thought experiment: "What if in a thousand years science found this or that. Would it affect my belief?" And if the answer is yes, then I conclude that I can't have found an unshakeable basis for religious belief. If my basis is not unshakeable, then how can it be intellectually satisfying? How can I be willing to put my life on the line for something that the jury is still out on?

Does that make sense?

I'm tempted to stay up too late answering you.

But the Cliff's Notes to the Cliff's Notes to the Cliff's Notes include a couple of the following items.

You are approaching theology as though it is a model designed to either be intellectually satisfying, or to have predictive capability.
Theology (on its own terms) purports not to derive as a model by hypothesis / testing / revision, but but reason coupled with revelation;
and to act not through intellectual knowledge, but through the heart, through trust.

The quip is often made that "in the beginning, Man Created God" and Voltaire's line that "if God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him":
but theology maintains the opposite: that God, in creating man, was theomorphic.

As an interesting contrast, compare the Greco-Roman deities -- being jealous of humans and competing with one another, killing their own offspring to secure their positions,
having affairs...*those* sound like gods made in the image of man. And the worship of those gods included getting drunk or having sex with temple prostitutes.
If you claim religion is used to justify what people want to do anyway? Hmm, sure.
Compare to the Old Testament: ONE God, not a multitude of Gods corresponding to different geographical areas -- instead of 'sacred groves' and holiness inhering to a *spot*, *mankind* is sanctified:
"Be holy, for I am holy," the Old Testament God says, "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than yours"...and instead of commanding drunkenness and fornication
as His worship, the command is to give to the poor, to not defraud the widows and powerless; instructions on ritual cleanliness (including burying feces outside the camp); and wonder of wonders,
The Ten Commandments (granted, our society doesn't do so good on only worshipping God, or keeping the Sabbath Day, and the entire advertising industry kind of screws the entire "thou shalt not covet")...(1)
And the Jewish Law contains prohibitions on loan sharking (usury), restrictions on slavery and indentured servitude, and requirements for witnesses in death penalty cases.

So there is a "test case" as it were, between a God claimed to not have been invented by Man, and gods whom everyone pretty much agrees were man-made.

As far as belief vs. knowledge: there is a difference between intellectual belief in "there is *a* God" and the belief, the relationship, with the Christian God. It is the difference between savoir and connaître,
the difference between "why" (cause and effect, mechanistic) and "why" (teleology, purpose, artistic effect).

(1) Stephen Prager has an interesting piece on the Jewish insistence on monogamy, and what this practice has meant for society.
Dennis Prager -- Judaism's Sexual Revolution: Why Judaism (and then Christianity) Rejected Homosexuality

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Adam and Eve weren't children, nor are we (at least the adults among us). This is why that story is at best allegory, and a rather harmful one at that. Parents who demand a child obey unreasonable "No's" will lose that child's respect as he grows older and learns more about how the world works. But then that is just what is happening in the Garden of Eden: God wants to prevent humans from having that knowledge. Perhaps this is the origin of the saying "ignorance is bliss".

Yes, but not quite the way you say it.

"You shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"And will you teach us Death?" asked the Lady, to [the] shape where it stood above her.
"Yes," it said, "It is for this that I came here, that you may have Death in abundance."

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, but not quite the way you say it.

"You shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"And will you teach us Death?" asked the Lady, to [the] shape where it stood above her.
"Yes," it said, "It is for this that I came here, that you may have Death in abundance."
How are people expected to do good and avoid evil if they do not know the difference? And death is the natural end of life.

"Thou art God - Thou art Goddess."

For a good commentary on this story, see The Wisdom of the Serpent, or Elaine Pagels' bood Adam, Eve and the Serpent.

Crabs

Permabanned
i used to be an eclectic wiccan, but now i'm somewhere between agnosticism and new age spirituality. there are so many mysteries in the universe. i feel intimately connected to mother nature. :heart:

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How are people expected to do good and avoid evil if they do not know the difference? And death is the natural end of life.

"Thou art God - Thou art Goddess."

For a good commentary on this story, see The Wisdom of the Serpent, or Elaine Pagels' bood Adam, Eve and the Serpent.

In the case in question, they were explicitly *told* what was bad, what not to do.

And Death is the natural end of life, but God is supernatural. "The last enemy to be destroyed is death."

I read "The Wisdom of the Serpent" and my bullshit detectors clogged within seconds.
Too many errors to list; but chronological snobbery; taking scriptures out of context (cutting a phrase in half and basing his argument only on half of it);
speculation presented as fact; presentation of Christian heresy (Gnosis) as being representative doctrine; sweeping human sacrifice under the rug in passing; and linking materialism
(matter and nature as soulless, mechanistic) to Christianity rather than the occult / magic. Not to mention historical inaccuracy -- he actually claims that
giving up animal and human sacrifices gave rise to violence in the arts, and violent crime. And the Hermetic movement being supposedly inspired by Hermes Trismegistus,
but really dependent upon Taoism? Which one is it? (I can't think of anything particularly "earthy" and "feminine" about Tao...mining comes from goddess worship? Srsly?)
The piece as a whole struck me as trying to throw everything he could think of against a wall, to see what sticks.

Most telling, in Williams' work: "Death is not her enemy but simply an aspect of her rhythm." vs. "The last enemy to be destroyed is death."
I'm surprised he didn't bring in Kali and the Thuggees as part of this...

...for the nonce, you do realize that part of Williams' writing is accusing the essential element of the female as being a snake. I'm sure the gender feminists would just *love* that...:dry:

By the way, what's a bood?