User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 6789101858 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm a Spinozist.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Apatheist

I don't put any value in the idea of belief.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

I roll with the tao
    Likes Evee liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Although God is quiet and elusive, He exists profoundly. That is the paradox of God.

He is in our every cell, in our DNA, in our soul. He created us, we are not an 'accident'. As such, He knows us. He has a special mission for each of us.

I love Christ. I tried, but there is no way to get around His original and epic teachings. He is the most beloved Son of God, mighty Yahweh.

God always loves me perfectly, in the exact way I need. No one else does this. Though some might get close I love being His servant and his love.

He is EVERYTHING but all He wants from me is my love. My obedience, yes, but that is mostly for my own good and our own good; it affects Him naught.

How awesome is it that He wants nothing more than the love from each of us. That is why He created us, to be in communion with Him.

Praise Him, praise Him.
    Getting past the historical evidence for the Reurrection of Christ is also problematical. Plus the fact that when I attempted to obey the teachis of the Bible my life certainly changed and con incidences began to happen. 30 years a Christian now, and still more to discover about Christ.

Though the title of this post is a little irksome, since religion is practiSed; practiCe is a noun.

With that said, a relationship with Jesus is pretty much the opposite of any performance of ritual which might be suggested by the word 'religion'.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Apatheist

And do you believe yourself saying that? (Dangerous to walk out into the path of an oncoming INTP, but just occasionally it can be fun...)
    Likes Evee liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    Getting past the historical evidence for the Reurrection of Christ is also problematical. Plus the fact that when I attempted to obey the teachis of the Bible my life certainly changed and con incidences began to happen. 30 years a Christian now, and still more to discover about Christ.

Though the title of this post is a little irksome, since religion is practiSed; practiCe is a noun.

With that said, a relationship with Jesus is pretty much the opposite of any performance of ritual which might be suggested by the word 'religion'.
    The last part there is interesting, maybe it reflects an alienation with tradition which has spread even to those who depend upon tradition or who ought to have the greatest appreciation for it.

Jesus was a traditional Jew you know, he practiced many of the precepts, as he understood them, which is important as he had a greater understanding than many but there are Jews who have indicated that Jesus was one of many itinerant preachers, such as the Essenes or, laterly, hasidics, even some contemporaneous agnostic jewish schools of thought.

Its all there in the sayings of Jesus himself, directly.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I grew up Christian (more conservative in environment, although I was more mystic/open myself, I guess).

I'm more in the ballpark of agnostic, agnostic theist, or absurdist nowadays, after my experiences + digging into things [actually trying to find more evidence of God].

I'm open to a variety of spiritual expression, although I'm not much into militant religion that insists it is more than just someone's belief.

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    I don't adhere to one, but I try to learn from what they all have in common and what they have to teach. Whatever, lots of religious tomes have good stuff in them. Any particular religion to me seems way too specific in its outlook. So, ignosticism is all up in there for me:

Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God and other theological concepts; including (but not limited to) concepts of faith, spirituality, heaven, hell, afterlife, damnation, salvation, sin and the soul.

Basically, I find many religious frameworks to be too prescriptive and narrow for me to be bothered to adhere to them.
    Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize there was a term for this.

But it's one of my big issues and why I feel like I'm in "quasi-agnosticism" -- I'm open to the possibility of spiritual intervention/engagement, yet my main issue with religion is where it demands a much larger specificity of belief than warranted by evidence, i.e., constructs an entire doctrine that is really quite speculative but ultimately restrictive of belief and action and that is insisted upon by its adherents. I find I personally still hold many of the same broad values I held while explicitly within the Christian belief system, but it's the demand of many unverifiable specifics as doctrinal points as well as the judgments passed based on them that lead to my disagreements.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Bush Did 9/11, Passacaglia liked this post

I've internalised so much of a certain psychoanalytical message that I think people all practice religions, some people are aware of it and others are not.

That's not intended as a response to anyone, just a general point, I maybe made it already, I dont remember.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm a Christian.

Trying to explain it or justify it just lends credence to the premise that it should be (or needs to be) explained or justified (which is ridiculous).

I think the most reasonable course of action is to let folks come to their own conclusions about such things, and to not let differences of opinion on this front keep us from being able to connect with one another.
    Likes EffEmDoubleyou, tinker683 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Apatheist

Interesting.

I would say this is the creedo of 99.9% of people I've met.