• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

• Total voters

Eska

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm a Christian.

Trying to explain it or justify it just lends credence to the premise that it should be (or needs to be) explained or justified (which is ridiculous).

I think the most reasonable course of action is to let folks come to their own conclusions about such things, and to not let differences of opinion on this front keep us from being able to connect with one another.

When it is questioned, it would be preferable for it to be justified if the person is seeking an answer.

Do you not question your own beliefs?

Why wouldn't one's beliefs be subject to questioning?

Nicodemus

Although God is quiet and elusive, He exists profoundly.
As much as that is not the truth, but may be the Truth, he who plainly does not exist, may exist profoundly.

IAs to the existence of God, maybe one example would help. If you think about the human eye and incredibly complex it is, how could such a thing ever come into existence through sheer happenstance? It was designed.
Your choice:

or

Mole

Permabanned
Well, pedantically you are correct. But my point was that there is nothing inherent in Catholicism that causes people to do wrong; rather, people choose to do wrong and happen to be Catholic. Any position of power or influence gives one the opportunity to do evil; but those positions don't cause people to do evil. When Stalin killed millions of his own people, was it because something about being the leader of Russia inevitably results in evil, or because he was an evil man? If you choose the former, as you have, it's a rather intractable problem. The world needs leaders, and there will always be positions of power and influence. If people are powerless to resist temptation, where does that leave us? I prefer not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Stalin was executing a totalitarian ideology. A totalitarian ideology is one of absolute power. And power as we know tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The Pope by contrast is the executive of an institution begun with God and Abraham. God ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and stand over him with a butcher's knife ready to cut him up alive. If we imagine how Isaac felt, we can see this was a Godly act of child abuse. And as the tree is bent, so it grows.

knutsoon

MBTI Type
INTP
I am into Judaism. :) Before I was agnostic, I was an atheist who was a Christian, after Paganism of course. :D

Lark

Can anyone tell me, in a US context, if there is a church, congregation or following which is called or refered to as "ethical culture"?

I wonder if its a way of saying that you're atheist or agnostic without using those labels, I heard it recently in a film.

Mole

Permabanned
Happenstance, God, and Natural Selection

Originally Posted by [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] -
As to the existence of God, maybe one example would help. If you think about the human eye and incredibly complex it is, how could such a thing ever come into existence through sheer happenstance? It was designed.

Our eyes did not come about by happenstance, nor were they designed by God, rather our eyes came about through natural selection.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Pope by contrast is the executive of an institution begun with God and Abraham. God ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and stand over him with a butcher's knife ready to cut him up alive. If we imagine how Isaac felt, we can see this was a Godly act of child abuse. And as the tree is bent, so it grows.
The pope is the leader of an institution formed by Jesus. The first pope was Peter the apostle: "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church." ("Tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam." In Latin, it's even a play on words.)

Abraham is considered a "founding father" of the Jewish tradition. Sadly the willingness of parents to sacrifice their children one way or another to the demands of religious authorities is not limited by time, culture, or faith.

Mole

Permabanned
The God of Abraham and Child Rearing Practices

The pope is the leader of an institution formed by Jesus. The first pope was Peter the apostle: "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church." ("Tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam." In Latin, it's even a play on words.)

Abraham is considered a "founding father" of the Jewish tradition. Sadly the willingness of parents to sacrifice their children one way or another to the demands of religious authorities is not limited by time, culture, or faith.

There are three Abrahamic faiths: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Each Abrahamic faith finds its origin in the God of Abraham.

And each faith finds its ends in its origins.

In particular each faith finds the origins of its child rearing practices in the practices of the God of Abraham.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stalin was executing a totalitarian ideology. A totalitarian ideology is one of absolute power. And power as we know tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Stalin was actively hostile towards religion and attempted to eradicate it...he was *not* neutral towards it. His intention was to destroy and remove it by force.

Imagining how Isaac felt is certinly insightful, it would be similar to how Jesus felt when unfairly condemned and crucified. The Old Testament illustrates the New, using types and shadows. The Old Testamnet understanding is limited...the New Testament understanding is that Jesus through being a Victim won the ultimate battle. And that Satan and men's choices are behind evil, not God.

Thus I think this gives hope to people going through actual experiences of victimisation.

Mole

Permabanned
Stalin was actively hostile towards religion and attempted to eradicate it...he was *not* neutral towards it. His intention was to destroy and remove it by force.

Imagining how Isaac felt is certinly insightful, it would be similar to how Jesus felt when unfairly condemned and crucified. The Old Testament illustrates the New, using types and shadows. The Old Testamnet understanding is limited...the New Testament understanding is that Jesus through being a Victim won the ultimate battle. And that Satan and men's choices are behind evil, not God.

Thus I think this gives hope to people going through actual experiences of victimisation.

Actually Stalin was committed to International Communism which is a totalitarian ideology based on absolute power.

And how terrifying it is to think that God is the abuser. It turns our world on its head. Far better to believe the doctrine of Victimology. Rather than confront the abuser, we like to fool ourselves that being a victim will save us.

This is the psychology of children of abusive parents. The abused child is unable to face the fact that the person they depend on is their abuser.

And in exactly the same way we are unable to face the fact that the God who we believe created us, sustains us, and has the power of life and death over us, is also our abuser.

And exactly the same way, for 70 years, it was impossible for the police, for prosecutors, for politicians, for journalists, to believe that Priests and Brothers of God were raping children holus bolus across the globe and were protected by their institution and getting away with it.

The expression of total power, of God-like power, was being able to rape vulnerable children in their care and be protected by their institution. It was the expression of absolute, God-like power.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can anyone tell me, in a US context, if there is a church, congregation or following which is called or refered to as "ethical culture"?

I wonder if its a way of saying that you're atheist or agnostic without using those labels, I heard it recently in a film.

It is similar to Unitarian Universalism, but smaller.

Lark

It is similar to Unitarian Universalism, but smaller.

Unitarian universalism is originally a liberal off shoot of the quakers right?

Is ethical culture an off shoot of unitarian universalism?

What's involved in the practice of either can I ask? Pardon my ignorance of faiths other than my own :shock:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unitarian universalism is originally a liberal off shoot of the quakers right?

Is ethical culture an off shoot of unitarian universalism?

What's involved in the practice of either can I ask? Pardon my ignorance of faiths other than my own :shock:

I will say that though two two developed independent of each other, they both have very long, complicated histories.

For UU, there are seven principals that must be applied as each person sees fit:

humanity
justice
diversity
free inquiry
democracy
community
respect for nature

For more info on UU, go here:
Atheist and Agnostic People Welcome - UUA
Our Unitarian Universalist Principles and Sources - UUA

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm pretty agnostic right now. Like.....I don't give much thought to anything religious unless I seriously disagree with it. I do believe in a higher power and some possible form of an afterlife.

I don't practice Catholocism. I went to a K-8 private a Catholic school and some of what I heard from the teacher was a slice of hell. There seemed like there was so much hypocrisy and judgment. I understand not all Catholics are like that obviously but I don't think I could go back to it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't like to talk too much about it, for fear of sounding preachy, but since I was asked....

I do Judaism. My mother raised our family in some traditions during my childhood, then these faded away in my late teen and university years, as I lost interest in the spiritual side of things. After graduating, I slowly decided to re-investigate, so now I am solidly in the Jewish fold again. Probably in what would be considered the "Conservative" denomination, which is like a "middle-way" between the strict rules of Orthodoxy and the liberal individually-based Reform movement. The theology in Conservative Judaism can actually be pretty liberal, but the practice of the customs and laws is supposed to be somewhat rigid in contrast to that. Strangely enough, this leads to the "why am I doing this when I don't necessarily believe in it?" feeling that pushes many people out of religious practice. Judaism has some interesting (not satisfying for everyone) answers to this:

It is more important to practice Judaism than to believe it. Why? Because doing good things is always a positive for the world, whether or not you realize/understand that it's a good thing. Actions speak louder than idle beliefs, I guess? And this is one of my favorite reasons to keep practicing Judaism; essentially, it is the pursuit of doing good things and being a good person (although some of the logic behind the rules is not straightforward, of course).

There is weight in the history and the traditions themselves. At least for the individual, this can be fulfilling to connect to generations of ancestors stretching back several thousand years, and in a sense appreciate what it meant to them. When I think on the fact that many of them risked death rather than convert to other religions when pressured, it gives me a great feeling of resilience and perseverance. That this custom only exists because, again and again, generation after generation, some made the often perilous choice and insisted to continue the line into the future.

Study is probably the primary form Jewish "devotion" takes. When Jews are "devoted" to their religion, this usually means they are studying the Bible and the writings and discussions about the Bible. It's considered one of the highest forms of observance, to try to become closer to God and to understanding what God intends for us. So I think as long as we are pursuing and studying, we are on the right track and not the wrong track. Maybe we are not doing well, but at least if we are improving, we are learning something and becoming better people...

Not all Jews would agree on these reasons, but they seem pretty widespread and common enough to say "most" would agree, especially most in Conservative Judaism.

In practice, however, I do tend to interpret the way I think makes the most sense, if a tradition does not seem right. But often I have found, as I learn more about orthodox, historical reasons for many customs, that the reasoning is sound and I just wasn't informed enough to understand at first.

Many of the practices involve repetition or routine, which again is something that can turn people off to religion. First of all, I often modify these to make my own routines, but based on established historical structure (kind of :ninja: ). Second, I think having the structure of routine itself can be a positive, too, because it reinforces the idea that Judaism is a commitment--like a relationship with a husband or wife, this is a committed relationship with God. Relationships require effort, have ups and downs, and may not always be purely fun and fluffy, although they have great moments that are moving. I kind of like that sense of dedication that motivates me to keep going.

Also, in my mind, it's a "most logical" form of religion. Being pure monotheism, it reduces any extra, unnecessary concepts about God down to the simplest view. Why say that there are gods in each tree and each river and each rock? Couldn't they all be considered of one form, and couldn't that form be considered one God? Or why say God has different persons? Aren't those persons complicating aspects of the same one God? They may not even be wrong, but they are ultimately unnecessary (as I see it) when all boiled down to "God or not God". This is why I think, besides Judaism, the only real alternative for me would be atheism. Or well, perhaps Islam, which is pretty monotheistic as well. :jew:

Plus, there are so many good holidays and they're all meaningful and thoughtful. :D

No offense was meant by any of the above. I only tried to explain my mind's rationale for beliefs I hold.

Passacaglia

Also, in my mind, it's a "most logical" form of religion. Being pure monotheism, it reduces any extra, unnecessary concepts about God down to the simplest view. Why say that there are gods in each tree and each river and each rock? Couldn't they all be considered of one form, and couldn't that form be considered one God? Or why say God has different persons? Aren't those persons complicating aspects of the same one God? They may not even be wrong, but they are ultimately unnecessary (as I see it) when all boiled down to "God or not God".
I can definitely see the Christian Holy Trinity as an unnecessary complication, although ironically I don't share the confusion over this paradox that most Christians seem to, despite being an atheist. But to play devil's advocate, I suspect that animists of various religions might see monotheism as an unnecessary complication. "Why build all those diverse spirits into one distant ur-god with a lot of rules? Much simpler to practice faith 'naturally!'"

(Feel free to correct me, pagans, wiccans, and other believers in many gods!)

This is why I think, besides Judaism, the only real alternative for me would be atheism. Or well, perhaps Islam, which is pretty monotheistic as well. :jew:
It's funny you say this, because I once had a great professor who identified as an 'agnostic [converted] Jew.' At the time I was like :huh:, but after having conversations with others and reading your comments, it seems that 'agnostic Jew' might not be as unprecedented as I once thought.

Little_Sticks

I don't really practice in the sense of following guidelines, but I remember as far as how I think and am that I'm some combination of Satanism, Humanism, Buddhism, and Shamanism.

I agree with the idea of Satanism being that we should feed our desires, that it is natural and good to do so. But I also think there should be ethical limits on how we do this that falls in line with reason established by a more concrete reality and not ideas of a supernatural one.
As far as Buddhism goes, I agree with the Dualistic Principles under-riding a lot of its teachings.
And for Shamanism, I believe that the best way to solve human/animal problems requires an imagination for all life, a strong empathy that can understand it, in some ways meaning that one channels other life into themselves in order to understand what's going on before deciding on how to solve problems. It's pretty much like channeling spirits into yourself in a metaphorical sense.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, in my mind, it's a "most logical" form of religion. Being pure monotheism, it reduces any extra, unnecessary concepts about God down to the simplest view. Why say that there are gods in each tree and each river and each rock? [/]Couldn't they all be considered of one form, and couldn't that form be considered one God? [/b] Or why say God has different persons? Aren't those persons complicating aspects of the same one God? They may not even be wrong, but they are ultimately unnecessary (as I see it) when all boiled down to "God or not God". This is why I think, besides Judaism, the only real alternative for me would be atheism. Or well, perhaps Islam, which is pretty monotheistic as well. :jew:
I agree with the highlighted. As a pagan, I follow one of those faiths usually associated with the idea of multiple deities, and I'm sure there are others out there who see these deities as quite separate and distinct. My own belief, however, is that they are all facets or manifestations of a single god/goddess. There is even a saying: all gods are one god; all goddesses are one goddess. You can take the next step, too, and say that god and goddess are just two sides of the same coin, like the yin/yang.

Why have different persons? Consider an ordinary man. He might be a son to his parents, a father to his children, a brother to his siblings, a coworker at his job, a friend to his friends, a donor to his favorite charity, a coach to his daughter's soccer team, that guy who always walks his dog at 6:30 in the morning to his neighbors, etc. If one simple human can be so many different things to different people, why can't God be something different to each believer? Moreover, how we see God will change over our own lifetime, depending on our situation in life, much as the son who was cared for by his parents becomes their caregiver when they are elderly.

So, Christians say God has three persons. Muslims speak of the 99 most wondrous names of God. I say why stop at 3 or even 99? Who can place limits on God?

Otherwise I agree with you about the benefits of following a set of guidelines to help you do good; studying your faith to keep learning more about God; and even the benefit of repetition/ritual, provided it is something that is meaningful for you.

(Feel free to correct me, pagans, wiccans, and other believers in many gods!)
See above.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I am an atheist, and a former Christian.

As for why, I have three reasons. The first two concern the theistic/Biblical God I was brought up to believe in, and the third applies to all kinds of gods.

I find it hard to imagine that such a god can exist considering how harsh and brutal the world is, and I feel like the world is ruled by chance. You have a lot of luck (or lack of it) in life and as romantic as fate and destiny are, I struggle to believe in them. The second reason is that for God to exist, you really have to believe the Bible is infallible, and that means that it has to be perfectly consistent. You only need to be a casual reader to realise that this is not the case.

Thirdly, postulating the existence of any god raises more questions than it answers. You have to show us how this god came to be, and even a deist god suffers raises the question of an infinite regress. It is also a dispensable entity that is now unnecessary to make sense of the universe, so I don't see any reasons left to believe in the supernatural. I actually find that liberating, as humanity now has an imperative to discover truths in a way that has never been possible before. There is no point in clinging to the past when better alternatives have presented themselves.