User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 456781656 Last

MBTI
    yupp

between agnostic and atheist i don't want to say definitivly there is nothing as i don't know so i am open to the possibility plus i'm 80% sure ghosts exists.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes chickpea, The Wailing Specter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest there are much, much stranger hypothesis in physics, like quantum immortality, than anything conceived of within theism but atheists seldom seem to rail against it in quite the same way, which I think belies problems which are greater than the simple is there, isnt there an God in existence question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    And people are content to just say, nawh, none of that for me thanks.
    I can shed some light on this stuff, if you're genuinely interested.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    A common trait of, at least the three big western religions, is a holy book that appeals to a wide audience. The Tanakh, the Bible, and the Quran all contain many or all of the tenets you mention; but there's also some pretty fucked up shit in all three. And that's how we end up with fundy groups actively judging/oppressing/killing innocent people, genuinely decent believers working to make the world a better place, and every shade of religious group and individual in between. In fact I theorize that this breadth of messages that believers can pick and choose from is behind all or at least most of the world's successful religions.

(I use 'successful' as a shorthand of 'how many believers this religion has,' rather than as a value judgment.)

But I don't think that paganism or wicca have any generally accepted canonical texts? So I'm curious to hear your perspective on the double-edged sword that religion seems to be; whether your own faith and/or the big western three and/or others.
    I am not aware of any Pagan or Wiccan writings that would be considered canon. There are writings, some well respected and widely circulated, to help one learn and provide guidance, but none are claimed as "the word of God".

Bahai's teach that God sent a messenger to every age and culture, to show people how to become closer to God and live better lives. They thus respect the prophets and religious books of all faiths. So why be a Bahai? Their writings are simply the "latest edition" of the textbook. As I see it, these books are at best secondary sources. Pagans go to the primary source: the creation itself, where one learns knowledge that cannot be contained in a textbook.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I would love to have a religion, but I simply cannot believe in something that I can't feel, see, hear or touch unless I pretend.
    Likes Video liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    I would love to have a religion, but I simply cannot believe in something that I can't feel, see, hear or touch unless I pretend.
    When we pretend, it is called the suspension of disbelief. All art, movies and religion is based on the suspension of disbelief.

When we suspend our disbelief, we enter a trance where parts of our critical mind go to sleep for a while, and our imaginative mind wakes up for a while.

Almost all religions have elaborate forms of trance induction called worship. And at the very deepest level of trance, what we imagine, we perceive as real.

Almost all of us are taught how to enter a religious trance at an early age.

So if I may advise you, dear Noll, I would say it is probably a bit late to learn how to enter a religious trance, however there are many alternatives, such as movies, books, art, dance, even sport, and don't forget falling in love. And of course the internet is itself entrancing.
    Likes Noll liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

The world is not a product, it is a process.

I hate religion from the depth of my loins.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

any idea we have of a religion is horribly flawed by the limited capacity of our feeble brains with regards to assimilating all the data, for better or for worse. That being said, biologically, I achieve great benefits when I have faith and always witness miracles when I lead a faith based life and receive releif from my own suffering.

This could be through Buddhism, or Christianity, or whatever spiritual text or creedo you ascribe to so long as you think for yourself on it rather than rely on a GURU or a cult leader to teach you.

Just as a shovel can be used to damage property, religious writings can be used to abuse, and this is why spirituality is a real force in the world....could you imagine using a force that wasn't real? It would be like using a car to travel 300mph and not actually being in a car, just sort of floating....and then going back to where you were once you arrive...basically just smoke and wind.

But nope...spirituality is as real a force as sexual attraction.....it's there...do with it what you will.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

I grew up non-denominational Christian. I'm slightly disillusioned because we don't practice what's in it: giving up all your things and living a life of charity. Seriously, Marshall Applewhite was probably the best follower of the faith in recent history.

Christ wasn't some hippie with a uke, he was a carpenter's son who flipped over tables and taught his teachers.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    I grew up non-denominational Christian. I'm slightly disillusioned because we don't practice what's in it: giving up all your things and living a life of charity. Seriously, Marshall Applewhite was probably the best follower of the faith in recent history.

Christ wasn't some hippie with a uke, he was a carpenter's son who flipped over tables and taught his teachers.
    Sometimes I think of him as Tyler Durdenish from fight club...you know....very confrontational and direct. That's just my impression of him...kind of like a tough guy who was paradoxically sensitive and compassionate.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Sometimes I think of him as Tyler Durdenish from fight club...you know....very confrontational and direct. That's just my impression of him...kind of like a tough guy who was paradoxically sensitive and compassionate.
    The strongest steel protects the softest cargo.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post