User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 5455354555657 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorCroupy#9 View Post
    Oh, I know it is unsubstantiated by scientific fact. I'm actually a Catholic convert.
    It's very easy to reconcile it is the right religion when your faith teaches that, while it may be the best representation of God's will on earth, it is not the only representation.

The Catholic faith does not teach that living on in the afterlife is reserved only for Catholics, or even only for people of Abrahamic faiths. God is taught to be the judge of a person's true intent. Anybody, whether they are Hindu, Atheist, or anything else can be able to live on in 'Heaven' if they are of truly good intent in their souls. The Faith teaches that God is complete mercy. 'Hell' may very well be empty.

I agree that it could be terribly hard to belong to a religion that wants to say that only they themselves deserve 'Heaven', or whatever they may call it.

But regardless, I don't believe in the existence of God because of science. I have believe in the existence of God through faith, because I am open to the possibility that there are things we cannot discover through natural, physical science.

(I see you're another ENTP You seem to have taken the more standard ENTP route in your beliefs, or lack thereof. More power to you!)
    Thx for the feedback. I wasn't attacking you just discussing, thx for seeing it for what it was. Usually people get angry. It's boring.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes DoctorCroupy#9 liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Thx for the feedback. I wasn't attacking you just discussing, thx for seeing it for what it was. Usually people get angry. It's boring.
    No problem! And thanks for not seeing my rebuttal as an attack.
    We ENTPs get each other haha

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Hail satan
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee
    Likes yama liked this post

I'm actually a Catholic convert.
    Protestantism teaches justification by Faith alone, while Catholicism scandalises Protestantism by teaching justification by Faith, Reason, and Good Works.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Protestantism teaches justification by Faith alone, while Catholicism scandalises Protestantism by teaching justification by Faith, Reason, and Good Works.
    Well that's a pretty simplified way of looking at these things

First of all, there are many, many kinds of Protestantism, and not all Protestantism is of the "by faith alone" brand.

Secondly, that statement makes it sound like Catholics believe you must work your way into Heaven, and that just isn't representative of the Catholic faith at all.

I'd like to point out that a very large portion of Protestantism believes that those who never accept Jesus as their personal savior in this life (whether they had the chance to hear of Christianity in their culture or not) are going straight to Hell.

Meanwhile, Catholicism puts no limitations on God's mercy for who is/is not saved. Catholic doctrine actually says that ANY person has the possibility of Heaven, regardless of if they are Catholic or not.
    Just because Catholics believe that with true faith should come good works because of belief in the faith (Reasonable assumption, I'd say ), doesn't mean that one must do certain "Good Works" to get to Heaven. There are many different, unknown paths to Heaven.

Hence why I follow Catholic beliefs rather than Protestant beliefs: I believe that God is merciful, unlimited, and well beyond our simplistic knowledge.

Just to set the record straight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I believe in Truth Seeking...

I gather knowledge from every source and see what little value (but still value) is there.

I am a very open minded skeptic with a largely abnormal view on things, yet logically sound.

I am all things. And yet I am nothing.

I. Am.

I think hedonism, not even a good sort of it either, is the unacknowledged religion of the world at present.
    Likes Reborn Relic, Krim13, Thalassa liked this post

First of all, there are many, many kinds of Protestantism, and not all Protestantism is of the "by faith alone" brand.

Secondly, that statement makes it sound like Catholics believe you must work your way into Heaven, and that just isn't representative of the Catholic faith at all.

I'd like to point out that a very large portion of Protestantism believes that those who never accept Jesus as their personal savior in this life (whether they had the chance to hear of Christianity in their culture or not) are going straight to Hell.

Meanwhile, Catholicism puts no limitations on God's mercy for who is/is not saved. Catholic doctrine actually says that ANY person has the possibility of Heaven, regardless of if they are Catholic or not.
    Just because Catholics believe that with true faith should come good works because of belief in the faith (Reasonable assumption, I'd say ), doesn't mean that one must do certain "Good Works" to get to Heaven. There are many different, unknown paths to Heaven.

Hence why I follow Catholic beliefs rather than Protestant beliefs: I believe that God is merciful, unlimited, and well beyond our simplistic knowledge.

Well, to set the record straight, it seems you are confusing Protestantism and Catholicism.

To understand Protestantism and Catholicism it is necessary to understand their histories and their historical interactions.

And it seems to me that you neither understand the history nor the dogma of Protestantism or Catholicism.

Yet with great self confidence you pontificate on the meaning of both.

And although you claim to be Catholic convert, it seems you are informed by a combination of American Protestantism and New Age philosophy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Well, to set the record straight, it seems you are confusing Protestantism and Catholicism.

To understand Protestantism and Catholicism it is necessary to understand their histories and their historical interactions.

And it seems to me that you neither understand the history nor the dogma of Protestantism or Catholicism.

Yet with great self confidence you pontificate on the meaning of both.

And although you claim to be Catholic convert, it seems you are informed by a combination of American Protestantism and New Age philosophy.

Well, that's an interesting response! Now that you've made it clear you believe I'm wrong, care to show me how I'm wrong?

I have a pretty good knowledge of Christian history, though this isn't really a historical debate; It's more of a theological/philosophical one.

Regardless, here are some quotes from the Catholic Catechism, so you can correct yourself and understand that what I've said thus far is consistent with Catholic belief:

For the truths that concern the relations between God and man wholly transcend the visible order of things, and, if they are translated into human action and influence it, they call for self-surrender and abnegation. The human mind, in its turn, is hampered in the attaining of such truths, not only by the impact of the senses and the imagination, but also by disordered appetites which are the consequences of original sin. So it happens that men in such matters easily persuade themselves that what they would not like to be true is false or at least doubtful (CCC 37)

...Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it. (CCC 846)
    this affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation. (CCC 847)

As you can see, in CCC 37, The Catholic Catechism teaches that humans can easily persuade themselves that there is nothing past the physical, scientific world, and thus believe there is no God.
    In CCC 846-847, the Catechism goes on to say that those who are ignorant of the faith and God, but still follow God's will by listening to their conscience and living good lives, may also have eternal life.
    Hence me saying that non Catholics of all kinds can possibly achieve eternal life depending on their individual circumstances and character.

If you doubt this, go online or to a local parish and ask a priest
    (Heck, just from a quick google, I've already seen an "ask a priest" style search result, where a priest of the Franciscan order answers the question in agreement with me )

Meanwhile, the majority Protestant denominations believe in "faith only" salvation, which is exactly what it says; one must have faith in Jesus Christ as their personal savior to have eternal life. No exceptions ("faith only" also means "only those with faith will be saved" )

Don't believe me? Ask a Southern Baptist or a Pentecostal, or some denominations of Presbyterians and Lutherans (All four of those groups rank as the largest Protestant denominations out there, after Anglicans and Methodists [which, it's worth noting that some Anglican and Methodist denominations agree with "faith alone"]).

Of course, not all Protestant denominations hold that limited view of God's mercy.

Regardless, I hope this shows you that it is, in fact, you who is confused here.

No offense, but your surface-level reading of what "Protestants believe" and "Catholics believe" truly is inaccurate.

I question how much research you actually did before making your claims... Not that I hold your misunderstandings on the subject against you.

You are a secular humanist, after all, and this stuff isn't exactly common knowledge for people outside of the faith (though you may have at one time been a Catholic, I don't know; if you were, it appears you weren't properly catechized).

EDIT: Also, sorry for writing a novel here didn't realize how long it was. When I'm right about something, I get carried away (ENTP, here). Plus, this is a subject I love discussing.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes see, I did think that what I believe is closer to Catholicism. I just cannot deal with all of the Constantine hokey pokey.