User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

    36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

    25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

    6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

    1 0.76%
  • Islam

    2 1.53%
  • Christianity

    39 29.77%
  • Other

    22 16.79%
First 3435152535455 Last

Results 521 to 530 of 590

  1. #521
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorCroupy#9 View Post
    Oh, I agree with you, that there is no scientific proof that God had anything to do with the Big Bang (or that God even exists).

    Like I said, I believe that God cannot be measured by science. So while you can study something God made/did (this and other universes, the Big Bang, ect.) you will not be able to measure God in these things through scientific means.

    Also, interesting tid bit I found out recently: The guy that first thought of the Big Bang explanation was a Catholic priest.

    I personally believe that science and faith in God go together just fine. That's just me though.
    Let me continue to reason with you, remembering the official Catholic doctrine is Faith and Reason.

    If you claim the Trinity created everything, that as we measured everything from the background radiation of the Big Bang, to the quantum movement of atoms, to gravity waves, we would find some evidence that the Trinity created the Big Bang. And without such evidence we can reasonably conclude that the Trinity no more created the Big Bang than the Rainbow Serpent.

    And if this wasn't enough, the Catholic Church has been raping children for the last 500 years across the world and successfully covering it up.

    So we can reasonably conclude that it is unlikely God created the Big Bang, and it is unlikely the Catholic Church represents God on Earth.

  2. #522
    Junior Member Kerik_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ne
    Posts
    29

    Default

    The closest thing that I've ever read that anywhere near matches my belief system is called "YalHaKian Neo-Sebbatian Kabbalah".

    Coincidental, though.

     
    I'm basically just an esotericist who likes to envision things in a kabbalist fashion ("emanationist", seeing the hierarchy as "tree-like") with a "Satanist" twist.

    Probably not too different from your garden-variety "spiritual person" in America, maybe?
    INFJ-A | Darkworker | Phlegmatic-Sanguine
    C–IEI–Se (Creative-Instinctual subtype) Beta
    Enneagram:
     8w9–5w64w3 (S0/sx) Body
    Ni—Fe—Ti—Fi=Se
    —Ne—Te—Si

       sCuA
    |I| SOew|V|
    |Oldham|
    Adventurous–Conscientious–Idiosyncratic

  3. #523
    Member DoctorCroupy#9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Let me continue to reason with you, remembering the official Catholic doctrine is Faith and Reason.

    If you claim the Trinity created everything, that as we measured everything from the background radiation of the Big Bang, to the quantum movement of atoms, to gravity waves, we would find some evidence that the Trinity created the Big Bang. And without such evidence we can reasonably conclude that the Trinity no more created the Big Bang than the Rainbow Serpent.

    And if this wasn't enough, the Catholic Church has been raping children for the last 500 years across the world and successfully covering it up.

    So we can reasonably conclude that it is unlikely God created the Big Bang, and it is unlikely the Catholic Church represents God on Earth.
    I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have hit the same brick wall twice...

    I stated that, in my estimates and ideas through and of my faith, God is of a supernatural essence and realm, and while God is in contact with our natural, physical world, it is beyond what science can measure or understand, at least at this time (but I suspect we'll never understand in our natural lifetimes).

    Therefore, you can't refute my beliefs by saying "Yeah, we looked into the radiation that spread from the Big Bang, and God's name wasn't on it. Therefore, since our science didn't find traces of God, your beliefs are inconsistent." I've stated multiple times now that I don't expect science to be able to measure the essence of God.

    And if your claim is that because some priests & bishops are terrible people, God couldn't possibly be represented by the Catholic Church, you've clearly forgotten that in the gospels the people Jesus handpicked to be his apostles were imperfect, and one effectively got him killed. The faith is the faith, regardless of humans' deeds. But there are some truly TERRIBLE people in the Catholic Church, don't get me wrong. With that said, there are also many wonderful, loving people.

    Once again, my belief in the existence of God is based solely on faith. I don't know that there is a God, or that there is not. I merely have faith that there is one. Take that how you will.

    Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go say the Rosary
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

  4. #524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorCroupy#9 View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have hit the same brick wall twice...

    I stated that, in my estimates and ideas through and of my faith, God is of a supernatural essence and realm, and while God is in contact with our natural, physical world, it is beyond what science can measure or understand, at least at this time (but I suspect we'll never understand in our natural lifetimes).

    Therefore, you can't refute my beliefs by saying "Yeah, we looked into the radiation that spread from the Big Bang, and God's name wasn't on it. Therefore, since our science didn't find traces of God, your beliefs are inconsistent." I've stated multiple times now that I don't expect science to be able to measure the essence of God.

    And if your claim is that because some priests & bishops are terrible people, God couldn't possibly be represented by the Catholic Church, you've clearly forgotten that in the gospels the people Jesus handpicked to be his apostles were imperfect, and one effectively got him killed. The faith is the faith, regardless of humans' deeds. But there are some truly TERRIBLE people in the Catholic Church, don't get me wrong. With that said, there are also many wonderful, loving people.

    Once again, my belief in the existence of God is based solely on faith. I don't know that there is a God, or that there is not. I merely have faith that there is one. Take that how you will.

    Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go say the Rosary
    To be honest on the crimes of the RCC there's a great line in Spotlight, a believer states that the RCC is made of people and is passing and he is devoted to the eternal things, its meant to be what the RCC and some sorts of deeper conservatism were once dedicated to, one of the best lines the whole movie.

    The thing about blaming the RCC for being confounded by the phenomenon of rampant peadophilia is that people take comfort from the fact they can "leave" the RCC or they arent RCC to begin with etc. etc., all that does is breed complacency when people should be alert instead, and I dont know what the same people are going to do when they discover that secular responses to the same problem are falling short and failing in the same ways that the RCC responses did. It wouldnt take a lot of work to figure that out either, in the UK there's a huge historical enquiry about celebrity child abuse and sex offending at the BBC and there's also a lot of historical enquiries looking at senior government officials and politicians, its not even years and years old too, there was a recent scandal in the UK conservative party involving a vulnerable male committing suicide following harrassment from homosexuals.

    All of which are temporal affairs and human, all too human failings, not God.

  5. #525
    Member DoctorCroupy#9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest on the crimes of the RCC there's a great line in Spotlight, a believer states that the RCC is made of people and is passing and he is devoted to the eternal things, its meant to be what the RCC and some sorts of deeper conservatism were once dedicated to, one of the best lines the whole movie.

    The thing about blaming the RCC for being confounded by the phenomenon of rampant peadophilia is that people take comfort from the fact they can "leave" the RCC or they arent RCC to begin with etc. etc., all that does is breed complacency when people should be alert instead, and I dont know what the same people are going to do when they discover that secular responses to the same problem are falling short and failing in the same ways that the RCC responses did. It wouldnt take a lot of work to figure that out either, in the UK there's a huge historical enquiry about celebrity child abuse and sex offending at the BBC and there's also a lot of historical enquiries looking at senior government officials and politicians, its not even years and years old too, there was a recent scandal in the UK conservative party involving a vulnerable male committing suicide following harrassment from homosexuals.

    All of which are temporal affairs and human, all too human failings, not God.
    I agree with much of what you say, especially your last line.

    We humans are imperfect, morally and physically. Even if one doesn't believe in the existence of true morality, our physical imperfection is still a fact.
    Anything and everything in the natural, physical world is imperfect, and has a failing of some sort. The natural world has an inclination towards disorder and imperfection (hence why it's easier to keep a room dirty than clean ). Just because our physical reality is imperfect, doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a force of perfection in all of existence, within a higher realm.

    Maybe it's because I have a strong iNtuitive Perceiving inclination, but I'm personally fine with the idea that a force exists that is almighty and perfect within a realm that is supernatural and beyond our capabilities of understanding. It doesn't bother me to believe that there are open-ended questions that can't be answered in the natural world.

    I've never been one of those "if I can't put it under a microscope and watch it wiggle, it doesn't exist" kind of guys.
    In the past, whenever I put myself in that position and tried to think like that, I just came away feeling my mind had been constricted.

    That's just me though
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

  6. #526
    The Green Jolly Robin H.
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Why is there no all-of-them-at-the-same-time option?
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"




    Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

    Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

  7. #527
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default Spontaneity and Reciprocity

    I become whatever I worship. So what do I worship? I worship spontaneity and reciprocity. So I am devoted to removing obstacles to spontaneity within my own psyche, and I am devoted to forming equal relationships with others.

    I am devoted, I am a devotee, or we could say, I pious towards spontaneity and reciprocity, without thinking they are easily obtained.

    But as I move towards spontaneity and reciprocity, I find I am becoming more relaxed and more comfortable in my own skin.

    Traditionally we have personalised values such as spontaneity and reciprocity into gods and goddesses, but as we have become more prosperous and educated, we have started to see these values as part of our own psyches rather than part of supernatural beings.

  8. #528
    Member DoctorCroupy#9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I become whatever I worship. So what do I worship? I worship spontaneity and reciprocity. So I am devoted to removing obstacles to spontaneity within my own psyche, and I am devoted to forming equal relationships with others.

    I am devoted, I am a devotee, or we could say, I pious towards spontaneity and reciprocity, without thinking they are easily obtained.

    But as I move towards spontaneity and reciprocity, I find I am becoming more relaxed and more comfortable in my own skin.

    Traditionally we have personalised values such as spontaneity and reciprocity into gods and goddesses, but as we have become more prosperous and educated, we have started to see these values as part of our own psyches rather than part of supernatural beings.
    Huh. That's a very creative kind of secular humanism. I like it.

  9. #529

    Default

    It is hard to answer these kinds of questions without being unintentionally cruel to someone I feel. So, with this is mind please take my answer with a grain of salt.

    I would like to highlight Quietism as something... valuable that more should look to in their explorations of these topics.

    Quietism in philosophy is an approach to the subject that sees the role of philosophy as broadly therapeutic or remedial. Quietist philosophers believe that philosophy has no positive thesis to contribute, but rather that its value is in defusing confusions in the linguistic and conceptual frameworks of other subjects, including non-quietist philosophy. By re-formulating supposed problems in a way that makes the misguided reasoning from which they arise apparent, the quietist hopes to put an end to humanity's confusion, and help return to a state of intellectual quietude.
    Why?

    As a part of being in the world it is inevitable we will experience many things both good and bad. It is good to be able to use language to heal yourself if & when those situations arise.

  10. #530
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorCroupy#9 View Post
    Huh. That's a very creative kind of secular humanism. I like it.
    It's fascinating that creativity is the content of the internet, and everyone and their dog is creative.

    Creative writing classes are everywhere, and we are all creative.

    But the content of the electric media merely distract our mind, while the medium itself goes to work changing our psyche.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM
  2. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
  3. What magazines do you subscribe to and why?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  5. What direction do you see the USA going in, and where would you like it to go?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO