User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 404849505152 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I practice no religion, and consider myself an atheist.

I feel there are sound arguments against the existence of a god - any god - and I am yet to see anything to the contrary. Further, I feel that Christianity in the West has lost its purpose. Religion no longer has an active role here, politically or culturally. It is all about personal development, exploration, faith. These are modern values which conflict with the doctrine that truth should be self-evident.

I would question whether we even celebrate Christmas as a religious event as much as a traditional festival like Yuletide.

Default I Become What I Worship

We know there are many different religions and many different Gods. Yet we find that most of homo sapiens worships.

It is as though we have the ability or the instinct to worship, just as we all have the ability or instinct to learn one of the many languages in the world while we are still babies.

So we have been selected to worship, just as we have been selected to learn a language as babies. We start off by worshipping our parents, which becomes ancestor worship, and we go on to worship celebrities as role models, and to worship deities like Ganesh with the head of an elephant, or the Trinity with three heads.

But how does our instinct to worship fit us to our environment? Worship is a powerful activity of the psyche as worship enables us to become what we worship. So we become our parents, our ancestors, our celebrities as our role models, or one of the myriad Gods, who derive from natural forces, or who derive from social forces, or forces within our own psyche itself.

So worship is a powerful way of learning, not of course without its dangers.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Music and awe. They are my religion.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I found a couple of quotes which I think are good generally in an old notebook and I think they apply to this topic actually:-

What holds true for religions holds true for faith in its secular forms...ideas...deteriorate...once they are not based upon the productive experience of each individual. - Erich Fromm, man for himself, faith as a character trait, problems of humanistic ethics.

Rationalisation is not a tool for penetration of reality but a post-factum attempt to harmonise one's own wishes with existing reality - Erich Fromm, Escape from Freedom.

I was also struck by something from as mundane a source as a recent episode of Dr Who (I dont rate the newer Dr Who writing at all anymore, I used to like it, I used to hope that it was going to improve and I think a couple of interesting actors carried it well but its nothing at all within the kind of league of the former series) in which a character stated something along the lines "the universe isnt ending you're just middle aged" and I've begun to think that you could almost say something along the lines of "God isnt dead you're just adolescent", since I'm finding that this is incredibly frequent, abandoning everything you've been bequeathed within the family, community only to adopt it after the passage of time. I even think the same kind of thing has happened academically or intellectually with the Virtue Ethics vs. Enlightenment/Kantian Ethics in academic moral philosophy. Although I dont think its reflected in pop culture at all and may never be. I think the most popular religion of all is infact apathy.
    Likes jcloudz liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I don't practice a religion. I'm atheist.
    Likes Hard liked this post

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

satanist.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee
    Likes Dyslexxie liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarCowgirl View Post
    I believe the Bible is the living, breathing word of God. I believe God is love. I believe in Jesus and the forgiveness of sin. I believe most people are going to heaven. I believe love, it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres for all people, even in the darkest places, because God loves and believes in their potential that much. (1 Corinthians 13:7).
    Dear Lonestar, why not believe in the Koran? It was dictated from Allah and written down by Mohammed. On the face of it, it would seem the Koran is the more authentic word of God.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Dear Lonestar, why not believe in the Koran? It was dictated from Allah and written down by Mohammed. On the face of it, it would seem the Koran is the more authentic word of God.
    why not bend your knee for satan? less people have died in comparison to both your religions?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Default The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    why not bend your knee for satan? less people have died in comparison to both your religions?
    Wouldn't you rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven?

And gosh, the Devil always gets the best lines.

But the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince us He doesn't exist.

Meet Him by clicking on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAFtr-ciQE

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Wouldn't you rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven?

And gosh, the Devil always gets the best lines.

But the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince us He doesn't exist.

Meet Him by clicking on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAFtr-ciQE
    just as lonestar cowgirl would prefer to serving under her true lord, the true god an you serving under your allah who answers to god.
    -Bruce Lee