User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 394748495051 Last

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think that whether or not a religion is accomodating of personal idiosyncracies or not there isnt any hive mind and it would be a bad thing is such a thing could exist.
    Agree, we could pick any church if we all practice the same religion. We may read from the same book, use the same over arching name, but at the end of the day people choose a church based on whether they agree with it or not and if it speaks to them. Even within a church we have outcasts that are different.
    Im out, its been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Agree, we could pick any church if we all practice the same religion. We may read from the same book, use the same over arching name, but at the end of the day people choose a church based on whether they agree with it or not and if it speaks to them. Even within a church we have outcasts that are different.
    No, I meant that no matter how much consensus there is it can never be complete, you may have consensus upon sacraments, articles of faith or canon but I absolutely disbelieve that all believers can ever be of one heart and mind, there can be the semblance of it or symbolic appearance of it but unless it is a mere recitation of dogma if you did some sort of randomised interview of believers, setting up the prisoners dilemma or some similar principle, you are not going to get the exact same thoughts as though by telepathy.

I actually think this is a good thing, a positive thing, largely for the reasons JS Mill outlined in On Liberty about how debate and discourse and differences of opinion were a good thing, even if for a time it appears to result in the perpetuation of error.

I'm saying all that I believe in canon etc. myself, because I'm an absolutist rather than a relativist, but I dont believe that absolutism is anything but fallible and should be challenged, it should be able for any challenge if its correct after all.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No, I meant that no matter how much consensus there is it can never be complete, you may have consensus upon sacraments, articles of faith or canon but I absolutely disbelieve that all believers can ever be of one heart and mind, there can be the semblance of it or symbolic appearance of it but unless it is a mere recitation of dogma if you did some sort of randomised interview of believers, setting up the prisoners dilemma or some similar principle, you are not going to get the exact same thoughts as though by telepathy.

I actually think this is a good thing, a positive thing, largely for the reasons JS Mill outlined in On Liberty about how debate and discourse and differences of opinion were a good thing, even if for a time it appears to result in the perpetuation of error.

I'm saying all that I believe in canon etc. myself, because I'm an absolutist rather than a relativist, but I dont believe that absolutism is anything but fallible and should be challenged, it should be able for any challenge if its correct after all.
    Yeah, I think I just kinda walked into what you just said from the backdoor instead of the front door.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Survive & Stay Free liked this post

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Quote Originally Posted by RandomINTP View Post
    Now let's assume God actually created the universe. "Universe" pretty much means "absolutely everything that exists".
    If God created everything, there would have to be nothing before. Nothing includes God.

That means nothing could have created everything, because there would have to be something able to create everything, but if there is something, then that something is automatically everything, and there wasn't nothing in the first place.

That means God (irrelevant of its existence) didn't create the universe.
    I don't think there was much philosophical thought on the phrasing of how God created the universe lol. The idea is that God was the only thing existing. Plus the bible never even said there was nothing, it said the world was formless and empty; so there was a world, but there wasn't much to it.

P.S. Yes this is a super late reply, I've only just logged into my account after a long time so that's why.
    Likes Chrysanthe liked this post

Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISFp Fi

Just read this and everything will suddenly make sense:

"Satak was First Serpent, the Snake who came Before, and all the worlds to come rested in the glimmer of its scales. But it was so big there was nothing but, and thus it was coiled around and around itself, and the worlds to come slid across each other but none had room to breathe or even be. And so the worlds called to something to save them, to let them out, but of course there was nothing outside the First Serpent, so aid had to come from inside it; this was Akel, the Hungry Stomach. Akel made itself known, and Satak could only think about what it was, and it was the best hunger, so it ate and ate. Soon there was enough room to live in the worlds and things began. These things were new and they often made mistakes, for there was hardly time to practice being things before. So most things ended quickly or were not good or gave up on themselves. Some things were about to start, but they were eaten up as Satak got to that part of its body. This was a violent time.

"Pretty soon Akel caused Satak to bite its own heart and that was the end. The hunger, though, refused to stop, even in death, and so the First Serpent shed its skin to begin anew. As the old world died, Satakal began, and when things realized this pattern so did they realize what their part in it was. They began to take names, like Ruptga or Tuwhacca, and they strode about looking for their kin. As Satakal ate itself over and over, the strongest spirits learned to bypass the cycle by moving at strange angles. They called this process the Walkabout, a way of striding between the worldskins. Ruptga was so big that he was able to place the stars in the sky so that weaker spirits might find their way easier. This practice became so easy for the spirits that it became a place, called the Far Shores, a time of waiting until the next skin.

"Ruptga was able to sire many children through the cycles and so he became known as the Tall Papa. He continued to place stars to map out the void for others, but after so many cycles there were almost too many spirits to help out. He made himself a helper from the detritus of past skins and this was Sep, or Second Serpent. Sep had much of the Hungry Stomach still left in him, multiple hungers from multiple skins. He was so hungry he could not think straight. Sometimes he would just eat the spirits he was supposed to help, but Tall Papa would always reach in and take them back out. Finally, tired of helping Tall Papa, Sep went and gathered the rest of the old skins and balled them up, tricking spirits to help him, promising them this was how you reached the new world, by making one out of the old. These spirits loved this way of living, as it was easier. No more jumping from place to place. Many spirits joined in, believing this was good thinking. Tall Papa just shook his head.

"Pretty soon the spirits on the skin-ball started to die, because they were very far from the real world of Satakal. And they found that it was too far to jump into the Far Shores now. The spirits that were left pleaded with Tall Papa to take them back. But grim Ruptga would not, and he told the spirits that they must learn new ways to follow the stars to the Far Shores now. If they could not, then they must live on through their children, which was not the same as before. Sep, however, needed more punishment, and so Tall Papa squashed the Snake with a big stick. The hunger fell out of Sep's dead mouth and was the only thing left of the Second Serpent. While the rest of the new world was allowed to strive back to godhood, Sep could only slink around in a dead skin, or swim about in the sky, a hungry void that jealously tried to eat the stars."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagician View Post
    Just read this and everything will suddenly make sense:

"Satak was First Serpent, the Snake who came Before, and all the worlds to come rested in the glimmer of its scales . . .
    This makes about as much sense as anything else, and even more sense than a flying spaghetti monster. Interesting how many creation myths feature snakes, dragons, and their ilk.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    I don't think there was much philosophical thought on the phrasing of how God created the universe lol. The idea is that God was the only thing existing. Plus the bible never even said there was nothing, it said the world was formless and empty; so there was a world, but there wasn't much to it.

P.S. Yes this is a super late reply, I've only just logged into my account after a long time so that's why.
    Welcome back! I was wondering when I'd see your cute face again.
    Likes laterlazer liked this post

All religions give an account of the origin of the universe. I am interested in origins so the extraordinary measurement of the background radiation of the big bang gave me the opportunity to examine the origins of the universe.

And we have analysed the background radiation, evaluated it, and integrated it into known facts, and so far there is no fingerprint, no signature, and no message in the big bang.

So far neither God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, show any sign of creating the big bang; Allah Himself seems to have no hand in creating the big bang; and the Rainbow Serpent of the Australian Aborigines does not show any indication of creating the big bang.

Of course it is possible the Trinity, or Allah, or the Rainbow Serpent did create the big bang, but it is highly unlikely.

We have been completely successful in discovering the origin of species, and this encourages us to keep looking for the origin of the universe. And we make a good start by ruling out unlikely contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    All religions give an account of the origin of the universe. I am interested in origins so the extraordinary measurement of the background radiation of the big bang gave me the opportunity to examine the origins of the universe.

And we have analysed the background radiation, evaluated it, and integrated it into known facts, and so far there is no fingerprint, no signature, and no message in the big bang.

So far neither God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, show any sign of creating the big bang; Allah Himself seems to have no hand in creating the big bang; and the Rainbow Serpent of the Australian Aborigines does not show any indication of creating the big bang.

Of course it is possible the Trinity, or Allah, or the Rainbow Serpent did create the big bang, but it is highly unlikely.

We have been completely successful in discovering the origin of species, and this encourages us to keep looking for the origin of the universe. And we make a good start by ruling out unlikely contenders.
    Can you tell me more about how you and your scientific team of researchers did that?

I didnt know you were in that line of work.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I voted "atheist" because I don't believe in something/someone that is bigger than everything I know. I don't believe in the invisible. I choose not to believe in a certain "entity" such as the Christian god that makes you suffer before giving you the pass to the VIP zone. Iblessbelieveblessthatblessifblessthere’sblessre allyblessablessgodblessoutblesstherebless(orblessi n here) and has the power to create stars, a complex system of organs and that kind of stuff, he's a selfish entity, letting species disappear or humans die from starvation... Or is that or way of avoiding overpopulation? I also don't like all the advertisement "I'm all love" and then goes killing inocent people like the firstborns.

Anyway, I consider myself pantheist, because I believe in Nature being a wise force that creates everything the most beautiful and useful way possible, but not like a god I have to pray to. I'm so in love with Nature, the world and space that everything looks perfect to me... except for humanity, but that's another story.

PS: Forget my rambling.
    bless
    MBTI: INTP (though I'm PINT-sized) * Ti = Ne > Fi > Ni > Si > Te = Se >>> Fe
    Enneagram: 5w4 - 4w5 - 1w9 sp/sx * 5 > 4 > 1 > 8 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 9 > 2
    Socionics: LII - Ne
    SLOAN: Rc|U|EI
    Holland Code: AIE
    Temperament: Melancholic/Choleric
    House: Slytherin
    Oldham's: Idiosyncratic/Solitary

Omnis res est se ipsa singularis et per nihil aliud
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post