User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

    36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

    25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

    6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

    1 0.76%
  • Islam

    2 1.53%
  • Christianity

    39 29.77%
  • Other

    22 16.79%
First 37454647484957 Last

Results 461 to 470 of 590

  1. #461
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,535

    Default Worship and Becoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think its a perfect analogy but I see what you're saying Alan Moore wrote a great short graphic novel about TV becoming a deity because more people owned and venerated TV and TV shows than practice any religion anymore.

    It intrigued me because no one worries about TV anymore but I remember worrying about TV viewing was definitely a thing when I was growing up, there was lots of panic about people not reading so much anymore (Ironically I did read once about reading itself being the cause of moral panics and considered "the solitary vice").

    People worry about screen time now but not like there once was a worry about TV.
    If we have an impulse to worship, we only have to ask, what are we worshipping now?

    The marriage ceremony has the words I thee worship. But perhaps we could ask, where do I choose to spend my time? And the answer may well be what we worship.

    But we should issue the warning, Caveat Emptor, for whatever we worship, we become.

    So we might say worship is a functioning part of our psyche, part of a creature that is constantly becoming.

  2. #462
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    If we have an impulse to worship, we only have to ask, what are we worshipping now?

    The marriage ceremony has the words I thee worship. But perhaps we could ask, where do I choose to spend my time? And the answer may well be what we worship.

    But we should issue the warning, Caveat Emptor, for whatever we worship, we become.

    So we might say worship is a functioning part of our psyche, part of a creature that is constantly becoming.
    I dont think we do become what we worship, its why I think the worship of a non-corporeal God is important and preferable to any worldly cause, ideology or person.

  3. #463
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think we do become what we worship, its why I think the worship of a non-corporeal God is important and preferable to any worldly cause, ideology or person.
    Yes, you are right, discernment is of the highest importance as we become more aware of what we worship.

    And as we become more aware of what we worship, we are in the position to consciously choose what we worship.

    And I share your view that the worship of a non-corporeal God is preferable to any worldly cause, ideology or person.

    However it is also to our advantage if we become aware of our worship of any worldly cause, ideology or person, or indeed, as you suggest, the television.

    It is important that our worship becomes conscious and deliberate, so that we marry faith and reason.

    We will, though, have to agree to disagree about whether we become what we worship.

    For me, becoming what we worship, is a psychological transformation. On a physical level we are discovering more and more about the plasticity of the physical brain, and it seems to me that our psyche is also plastic in the sense we are capable of and do learn.

  4. #464
    Dik Dik of the Year yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    I am None because I don't care. Not agnostic, not an atheist. Just None. Religion bores me.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description
    Likes Hard liked this post

  5. #465
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think we do become what we worship, its why I think the worship of a non-corporeal God is important and preferable to any worldly cause, ideology or person.
    If we did become what we worship, women in western societies would have become men long ago.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  6. #466
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If we did become what we worship, women in western societies would have become men long ago.
    Women worship men?

  7. #467
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Women worship men?
    Christianity has portrayed God as male for all intents and purposes. So, both male and female believers have been worshipping something essentially male.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

  8. #468
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If we did become what we worship, women in western societies would have become men long ago.
    If we worship by paying attention, then, in that sense, women do worship men. And interestingly, women become men in their psyche as the animus. And of course men do the exact opposite by paying attention to women and worshipping them, they become the anima in their own psyche. We can only communicate with each other because we hold the other gender in our own psyche, as animus and anima. So the opposite gender is as close to us as whiteness is to snow.

    And so it is no accident that the marriage vows take the form of, I thee worship, because it is psychologically true.

  9. #469
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    I am None because I don't care. Not agnostic, not an atheist. Just None. Religion bores me.
    Boredom, they say, is a sign of repressed anger. And, as you say, you are not agnostic, not atheist, just no religion, and you reveal your feelings by saying, I don't care.

    Not caring would suggest a high level of repressed anger at religion, and a high level of repressed anger at God. But being repressed you are not consciously aware of your anger.

    The psychological problem is not love or hated but indifference, for indifference is the killer. And as you say, you don't care, you are indifferent. So what or who do you want to kill?

  10. #470
    Dik Dik of the Year yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Boredom, they say, is a sign of repressed anger. And, as you say, you are not agnostic, not atheist, just no religion, and you reveal your feelings by saying, I don't care.

    Not caring would suggest a high level of repressed anger at religion, and a high level of repressed anger at God. But being repressed you are not consciously aware of your anger.

    The psychological problem is not love or hated but indifference, for indifference is the killer. And as you say, you don't care, you are indifferent. So what or who do you want to kill?
    An interesting interpretation. I suppose you could say that there are times when the concept of religion does make me angry--not so much because of the ideology itself, but because of the people wielding it as a sword and shield to try and force it down others' throats. I can't recall any situation where someone got up close and personal with me and tried to force me to share their beliefs, however, so most of my belief in this regard stems from observation. As a child, my father was not religious, but my mother and grandmother were. However my mother rarely ever took me and my sister to church regularly (dad would never join) because she is quite lazy. I'm actually grateful for this. I don't mind if people want to be religious as long as they keep their religion away from me, but a part of me can't help but feel that religion is, in essence, brainwashing. I feel like I dodged a bullet by not becoming "indoctrinated" at a young age. I wouldn't say that I have a problem with god or even religion itself so much as some of the people practicing that religion and how most parents go about socializing children to believe what they believe and raise them in a religion rather than let the child discover what they believe for themselves.

    Perhaps this is where my fascination with autobiographies about women escaping the FLDS comes from.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM
  2. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
  3. What magazines do you subscribe to and why?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  5. What direction do you see the USA going in, and where would you like it to go?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO