User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

    36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

    25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

    6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

    1 0.76%
  • Islam

    2 1.53%
  • Christianity

    39 29.77%
  • Other

    22 16.79%
First 36444546474856 Last

Results 451 to 460 of 590

  1. #451
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    It's just that your statements are contradictory. You do not accept the universe may have always existed (even as a singularity according to the BBT) but fully accept that your God does. You argue since the universe exists it has a starting point ( which you call God) yet also claim God exists but doesn't need a starting point. Clearly you do NOT think all things which exist require a starting point or else you would be searching for God's designer. My real question is how do you know something like God doesn't require a designer and something like the universe does especially if God is more complex than the universe?
    God is the prime mover, the unmoved mover, the first cause, not an effect.

    Are you familiar with the idea of infinity in mathematics?

  2. #452
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    For atheism not being a belief system but the lack of a belief system it certainly does posit quite a few things positively as beliefs, a lot of great atheists, which may or may not be representative, certainly do wax lyrical about a lot of beliefs which they associate with atheism certainly or at least do not seek to create boundaries.

    Dawkins and Darren Brown are just two who I know started out with simple assertions as to the existence or non-existence of God, deities, validity in religious traditions or human experience but quickly went on to deny human nature, human goodness, I'm not sure if they went as far as Dennett and started to doubt logic, meaning, consciousness even, to full on meat puppetry thinking.

    The thing about God and "proof" is that I firmly believe that any God that can be proven a God is not a God at all, I'm not being facetious, I'm not even being deliberately mystical or mystifying but God is ineffable and intangible, subject to a lot of mankind's projections, fantasy and psychological wil's in the past but remains those things.

    So far discerning what, if any, of the thinking on record about God is correct at all or fits the category or humanity's mistaken thinking is up for discussion, how to define it could matter, Oscar Wilde did say science as a record of dead religions because once a religion was proven fact it became science, I think he was right.

    Proofs of God change from time to time, with some remaining valid or at least not disproven, which other's are invalidated but in the end for someone who wants to believe in the existence of God proof is unnecessary and for someone who wants to disbelieve in the existence of God proof is never going to be sufficient.

  3. #453
    Senior Member geedoenfj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    2,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Clearly you do NOT think all things which exist require a starting point or else you would be searching for God's designer. My real question is how do you know something like God doesn't require a designer and something like the universe does especially if God is more complex than the universe?
    You just described God as a (thing) and you don't know if there is God or not, and if there is then how it's his nature whether it's a thing or an energy a concept etc.
    Every(thing) has a starting point but that doesn't necessarily apply to the one who sit that rule, you don't necessarily look or feel or seem like the sandwich you eat or a painting you paint, so I recommend you read more about that in my previous comments..
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress


    “sometimes... confused people are funnier, nicer, and more open-minded than non-confused people.” labyrinthine


    6w7 > 1w2 > 4w3


  4. #454
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    God is the prime mover, the unmoved mover, the first cause, not an effect.
    If your arguing from a cause and effect which is a reason God exists then this statement is incomprehensible. Why couldn't this be a singularity?

    Are you familiar with the idea of infinity in mathematics?
    Yes and divide by zero ( why would you have to do that?). Also , why can't a singularity apply here?

  5. #455
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geedoenfj View Post
    You just described God as a (thing) and you don't know if there is God or not, and if there is then how it's his nature whether it's a thing or an energy a concept etc.
    If God is matter (a real thing) or energy then it exists based on what we understand about reality. If God is merely a concept then he doesn't exist in reality outside the mind of those who can comprehend the concept. So?

    Every(thing) has a starting point
    You can't possibly know this. Nobody does.
    Also if this is your claim then it fails with God since you posit:

    but that doesn't necessarily apply to the one who sit that rule,
    So your own argument invalidates your argument. If everything has a starting point then nothing has no starting point, therefore, if God has no starting point he is nothing. <<< Follow your own reasoning pls.


    you don't necessarily look or feel or seem like the sandwich you eat or a painting you paint, so I recommend you read more about that in my previous comments..
    What?

  6. #456
    Senior Member geedoenfj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    2,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    If God is matter (a real thing) or energy then it exists based on what we understand about reality. If God is merely a concept then he doesn't exist in reality outside the mind of those who can comprehend the concept. So?



    You can't possibly know this. Nobody does.
    Also if this is your claim then it fails with God since you posit:



    So your own argument invalidates your argument. If everything has a starting point then nothing has no starting point, therefore, if God has no starting point he is nothing. <<< Follow your own reasoning pls.




    What?
    I've noticed that you people pick on one little detail and go hey there it is! She just said that God is a concept so he doesn't exist! see she said that God should have a starting point either he should be designed yay she contradict herself! and leaving the fact that I'm only implying examples of what God doesn't necessarily seems or sense like any of these options, any creatures your created brain has ever known..
    Now since you think you are illegible of deciding what should be logical I say you stick to your so rational out of nowhere universe created itself story but have a respect of what others think to be more rational than that theory..
    As for the (sandwich) example which made you go like WHAT?! I meant the sandwich you make or prepare not the sandwich you eat, it was a miss-printed I apologize for that awful mistake..
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress


    “sometimes... confused people are funnier, nicer, and more open-minded than non-confused people.” labyrinthine


    6w7 > 1w2 > 4w3


  7. #457
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geedoenfj View Post
    I've noticed that you people
    You people? Who? Do we belong to a separate human species? lol

    pick on one little detail and go hey there it is! She just said that God is a concept so he doesn't exist! see she said that God should have a starting point either he should be designed yay she contradict herself!
    I'm just trying to follow your reasoning and I admit it's a challenge. I'm really just trying to understand rather than catch you in contradictions. I'm not forcing contradictions on you, you're creating those on your own, don't shoot the messenger for pointing it out

    and leaving the fact that I'm only implying examples of what God doesn't necessarily seems or sense like any of these options, any creatures your created brain has ever known..
    This is confusing to read.

    Now since you think you are illegible of deciding what should be logical I say you stick to your so rational out of nowhere universe created itself story but have a respect of what others think to be more rational than that theory..
    A. I never claimed the universe 'created itself.'
    B. I never even claimed it was created.
    C. I don't know if it was created or not and neither do you.
    D. There's nothing (scientific) to suggest it had to be created.

    I respect the fact you have your own opinions but I don't have to accept them as correct if you claim them to be true about reality. When you claim something to be true about the universe then you are implicitly demanding that we all accept that truth. You then subjugate that opinion to logic and evidence.


    As for the (sandwich) example which made you go like WHAT?! I meant the sandwich you make or prepare not the sandwich you eat, it was a miss-printed I apologize for that awful mistake..
    I still fail to see how this analogy applies to anything you said. Can you elaborate more?

    Don't take any of this personally because I am not. I enjoy the discussion.

  8. #458
    Junior Member kaepsae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp Fe
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What if I told you that,
    no one was ever offended by starbucks,
    the whole thing was a scam to excite liberals.

    Lovers of good coffee,
    maybe offended by starbucks,
    for different reasons.
    Well I hope it is, because it is ridiculous.
    Luckily I like my coffee cheap and worse than starbucks. Don't have to get offended yet.

  9. #459
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,541

    Default

    Which God we worship determines which religion we practise.

    If we worship the Hindu Gods, we will practise the religion of Hinduism.

    And if we worship the God of the Book, we will practise one of the Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.

    But if we worship the God of the Internet, what religion will we practise?

    Every time we log on to typology central, we are worshipping the God of the Internet. We are indeed pious but our minds have not caught up with this fact, and we remain oblivious to the religion we practise every day.

  10. #460
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Which God we worship determines which religion we practise.

    If we worship the Hindu Gods, we will practise the religion of Hinduism.

    And if we worship the God of the Book, we will practise one of the Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.

    But if we worship the God of the Internet, what religion will we practise?

    Every time we log on to typology central, we are worshipping the God of the Internet. We are indeed pious but our minds have not caught up with this fact, and we remain oblivious to the religion we practise every day.
    I dont think its a perfect analogy but I see what you're saying Alan Moore wrote a great short graphic novel about TV becoming a deity because more people owned and venerated TV and TV shows than practice any religion anymore.

    It intrigued me because no one worries about TV anymore but I remember worrying about TV viewing was definitely a thing when I was growing up, there was lots of panic about people not reading so much anymore (Ironically I did read once about reading itself being the cause of moral panics and considered "the solitary vice").

    People worry about screen time now but not like there once was a worry about TV.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM
  2. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
  3. What magazines do you subscribe to and why?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  5. What direction do you see the USA going in, and where would you like it to go?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO