User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 30383940414250 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    That might be forshadowing: I can easily see a scanerio where the american left becomes more christian and reliant on the growing latino vote and in the process takes more and more of the conservatives from the republicans, while republicans focus increasingly on more progressive forms of libertarians.
    American liberals have done a very poor job of leveraging Christian beliefs to support their ideals. The closest in recent history has been people like Martin Luther King jr. and the civil rights movement. Yes, indeed - it would be interesting if they finally figure this one out and realize that there is, or can be, a substantial Christian Left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its a line from a Bob Marley song.
    Not familiar with Bob Marley, so I don't understand the reference either. Alas.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Probably, though not as fast as in the past.

With the population "pyramid" of the past looking more like the empire states building:

New generations might take a much longer time to become a prominent voting demographic, perhaps not even reaching a majority before the even younger generation goes it's own way - if in the past a new generation was almost immediately the new dominant culture, today each generation might be it's own relative minority, along a longer spectrum (Longer life) and possibly even shorter periods (Accelerating changes). This means that even if individually change might happen faster for younger people, the result is that as a society change in values would take longer to have an influence, if at all - As far as we know, while generation Y might be mostly non religious gen Z could prove to be the new religious revival.
    In a world where we have an ever increasing amount of information, and an increased potential for people to make up their own minds, I cannot see there being a religious revival. Unless there was an increasing propensity to pull the wool over people's eyes about the truth of the world.

No doubt that religion is already doing this, though. Like any other business enterprise, you've got to do what you have to do to keep it running...

Quote Originally Posted by Eska View Post

Do you contest the claim that there are contradictory/inconsistent statements in the Bible?
    This is a very old post, sorry it took me so long to respond. I mostly spend time on PerC. I wondered if you were the same Eska from PerC?

Now to your comment...

Depends upon what one considers to be a contradictory/inconsistent statement. Many post long list of contradictions that would take one forever to wade through. Then claim that since the other person didn't spend the next 10 hours researching all of them in order to refute, that their claim is validated. I could dedicate the next 10 hours to that, but I won't because I really don't think most really care.

Here is an article that addresses the claims of contradictory/inconsistent statements. Available for anyone who cares to look at it and evaluate the statements made.

Does the Bible Contradict Itself? - What Do The Scriptures Say?

29% of y'all are atheists?!?

That's SO awesome. I'm happy to see a lot of you guys identify as atheists as well. From what I've experienced, general society seems to tread lightly around the issue, like there's some mistrust that comes along with it, so it's nice to see we're a pretty big minority.

I gotta say, I've been pretty closeted about it for a long time. I've found many people I thought were pretty open-minded really don't favor the non-believers, so now I just keep it to myself. It's not a big deal, it's not like I need anything to be done differently, it's just one of those awkward things when people ask to pray or say 'god bless you', and all I can think of is 'oh you're so sweet...'

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm wanting to develop my own blend of martial arts, physical training and serious exploration of spiritual disciplines besides prayer, meditation and reflective journaling which I'm familiar with already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm wanting to develop my own blend of martial arts, physical training and serious exploration of spiritual disciplines besides prayer, meditation and reflective journaling which I'm familiar with already.
    Or you could fulfill your nerd fantasies at a Star Wars convention instead of taking yourself so seriously. You might even get laid.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    Or you could fulfill your nerd fantasies at a Star Wars convention instead of taking yourself so seriously. You might even get laid.

Weak.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Atheist.

For most of my life I've called myself an agnostic. My beliefs didn't change, but I realized that for the purposes of most other people, they get closer to understanding my position faster if I call myself atheist rather than agnostic. I'm only agnostic because of uncertainty about the existence of god at an abstract, philosophical level that must people never even seem to get around to.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Episcopalian. Just started going back to church with the lady.

Not every week, but a couple of times a month.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

Default Faith and Reason

It seems to me we are meaning creating animals, and so religion is a concerted attempt to give meaning to our existence.

And also it seems that most of us in the world a religion is given to us at birth, and is our birthright.

So what is my birthright?

I have inherited Western culture based on Ancient Greek philosophy, maths, science and art, Judaism, Christianity, and the Enlightenment.

So I am a man of faith and reason, held in fruitful tension.