User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 21293031323341 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    I think there's a word for that, but it's an -ism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think you'd like GK Chesterton or benefit from giving him a read.
    G.K.Chesterton is entertaining and a good writer, but he was a good apologist for an institution has has changed quite a lot and perhaps needs a new contemporary apologia.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I've been watching some of the "Big Think" stuff on YouTube and something resonated. I don't associate with an ism or an ist mainly because once you have one associated with you people believe they know what you think and what you're going to say. Personally I'd rather have a conversation than an assumption, hence I resist labels and use esoteric references rather than give answers to encourage a discourse, an investigation of what is actually going on rather than a pre set recipe.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Might be having a small crisis of faith atm. I mean, the faith itself is reasonably solid but I'm having trouble reconciling a good tree's bearance of a few bad fruits. It's made worse when I'm reminded of people I know and like, who were pretty much stellar for me all around, and think about how far apart we're drifting - intellectually and otherwise - because of this subject. On one hand it's c'est la vie and on the other it almost feels like it shouldn't be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Might be having a small crisis of faith atm. I mean, the faith itself is reasonably solid but I'm having trouble reconciling a good tree's bearance of a few bad fruits. It's made worse when I'm reminded of people I know and like, who were pretty much stellar for me all around, and think about how far apart we're drifting - intellectually and otherwise - because of this subject. On one hand it's c'est la vie and on the other it almost feels like it shouldn't be worth it.
    Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like some fellow believers are drifting into the crazy end of the pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like some fellow believers are drifting into the crazy end of the pool?
    Haha you might say that

I think there are a few principles all people with humanitarian leanings can agree on. We might for instance all want good for people, believe in the general goodness of people and such things. It's so broad that I won't write a wall of text about it, but when you further believe in those things from within a specific context, a context which others can distort or co-opt almost arbitrarily, or perhaps which others may simply accept while leaving the principles it's supposed to contain, the shattering of those ideals can be a bit heavy. My immediate response is to think about taking the principles and abandoning the context, but for the most part I like the context enough that it isn't as simple just to do it.

Some Christians don't understand agape love, and how their harsh judgment of people (and their fruit) is not kind or loving. Jesus didn't die on the cross for perfect people. He died for sinners.

When people offend me, whether they're saved or unsaved, I take back my power by loving them. I know that I can't allow the disgust or pain I feel to rule over me because doing so opens the door for more strife and pain to ruin my ability to effectively represent Christ, and it eats away at me emotionally. I don’t want that to happen to me or to others.

We are all God's children created by God. If God created the people that disrespect him (and us), surely there is something good in them. It may be buried under baggage from years of hurt and it's waiting to be awakened by our Christ-like caring toward them. (The good neighbor looks beyond the external accidents and discerns those inner qualities that make all men human and, therefore, brothers.)

Haha you might say that

I think there are a few principles all people with humanitarian leanings can agree on. We might for instance all want good for people, believe in the general goodness of people and such things. It's so broad that I won't write a wall of text about it, but when you further believe in those things from within a specific context, a context which others can distort or co-opt almost arbitrarily, or perhaps which others may simply accept while leaving the principles it's supposed to contain, the shattering of those ideals can be a bit heavy. My immediate response is to think about taking the principles and abandoning the context, but for the most part I like the context enough that it isn't as simple just to do it.
    Hm, I'm having difficulty following your thoughts, but I think I get the gist.

It's always a shame when people lose sight of the humanitarian aspect of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    Some Christians don't understand agape love, and how their harsh judgment of people (and their fruit) is not kind or loving. Jesus didn't die on the cross for perfect people. He died for sinners.

When people offend me, whether they're saved or unsaved, I take back my power by loving them. I know that I can't allow the disgust or pain I feel to rule over me because doing so opens the door for more strife and pain to ruin my ability to effectively represent Christ, and it eats away at me emotionally. I don’t want that to happen to me or to others.

We are all God's children created by God. If God created the people that disrespect him (and us), surely there is something good in them. It may be buried under baggage from years of hurt and it's waiting to be awakened by our Christ-like caring toward them. (The good neighbor looks beyond the external accidents and discerns those inner qualities that make all men human and, therefore, brothers.)
    Reading your posts I can see they are written in boilerplate. Boilerplate lacks any spontaneity. Boilerplate is an official way of talking. Boilerplate is an extreme way of avoiding ourself. Boilerplate hides a rising hysteria.

There seems to be no way out for you. No way for you to reach yourself or to reach us.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    Some Christians don't understand agape love, and how their harsh judgment of people (and their fruit) is not kind or loving.
    Little unclear on your meaning here - are you considering me judgmental of other people?