User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 18262728293038 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, to be an atheist (a-theist) we need a God to be against. Thank heavens there are so many Gods to be against. It is an atheists' picnic.

So strictly speaking we should describe ourselves as Christian Atheists, or Hindu Atheists, or Muslim Atheists, or Pagan Atheists.

Each form of atheism is radically different depending on the God being rejected. To lump us all in as just Atheists hides the multiplicity and rainbow colours of Atheism.
    The only athiests I ever had time for were in fact naturalists or materialists and keener to be known as such.

The athiest and a theist share one thing in common, a preoccupation with God, which may not be strictly how God or good religion plans or expects life to be best lived and served.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The only athiests I ever had time for were in fact naturalists or materialists and keener to be known as such.

The athiest and a theist share one thing in common, a preoccupation with God, which may not be strictly how God or good religion plans or expects life to be best lived and served.
    And interestingly we have anti-theists to add to theists and atheists, courtesy of Christopher Hitchens.

And indeed an avowed and published anti-theist killed a whole family of theists just the other day in the USA with, what a surprise, a gun.

The theists are awake to this anti-theism wheeze and rallied in their thousands, thousands of muslims in the USA, to rail against their new enemy, anti-theism.

It doesn't pay to be an enemy of Islam.
    Last edited by Mole; 02-18-2015 at 11:02 AM.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

And interestingly we have anti-theists to add to theists and atheists, courtesy of Sam Harris. And indeed an avowed and published anti-theist killed a whole family of theists just the other day in the USA with, what a surprise, a gun.

The theists are awake to this anti-theism wheeze and rallied in their thousands, thousands of muslims in the USA, to rail against their new enemy, anti-theism.

It doesn't pay to be an enemy of Islam.
    Get you turning the deaths of a bunch of muslims at the hand of a lunatic into a crime perpetuated by islam.

Dont really know were to begin with that one.

Get you turning the deaths of a bunch of muslims at the hand of a lunatic into a crime perpetuated by islam.

Dont really know were to begin with that one.
    I think it is plain that muslims in the USA have realised that anti-theism is primarily directed at them, and I expect they will now fight against it.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think it is plain that muslims in the USA have realised that anti-theism is primarily directed at them, and I expect they will now fight against it.
    Well if this forum was anything to go by there's as much or more hating on Christianity than there is Islam.

The most bitter sorts of atheism I've ever encountered are in the english speaking world, there's nothing like it in France even, the most hyper secular place there is going, and the english speaking world was once the standard bearer for Christianity, or maybe I'm conflating protestantism with Christianity, which is a broader idea. Dont really know.

Well if this forum was anything to go by there's as much or more hating on Christianity than there is Islam.

The most bitter sorts of atheism I've ever encountered are in the english speaking world, there's nothing like it in France even, the most hyper secular place there is going, and the english speaking world was once the standard bearer for Christianity, or maybe I'm conflating protestantism with Christianity, which is a broader idea. Dont really know.
    Well, we can blaspheme against Christianity with impunity, but blaspheming against Islam is life threatening.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well, we can blaspheme against Christianity with impunity, but blaspheming against Islam is life threatening.
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Not really.
    Guess you haven't been looking at the middle east enough.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

It is 'atheist', Lark. The opposite of 'theist'. Can you try to (re)present at least the term correctly?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    See Fluffy, ^ is interesting.

I should read more on it. Perhaps watch a short (max minutes) documentary on it.

It's a western philosophy. As with all western philosophies I wouldn't be surprised if it has much to do with wisdom (understanding) than practice.

Stoicism seems to be a good exception.
    Luckily I am not required to interest you. Nor am I in any way inclined to change my beliefs in order to interest people. That line of thinking is reserved for the hipocrits amongst us.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf