User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 8161718192028 Last

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    What would you say to a religious person who found all spirituality and the group bonding of religion to be incredibly distasteful?
    First of all I would say I fully sympathise and then perhaps I would add the caveat that religio means binding together, so group bonding would seem to be inevitable.

On the other hand almost all religions have a mystical or spiritual wing. Islam for instance has Sufism. And it is in the mystical wing that the solitary individual may take wing, alone.

But there is now no need to join a religion to enjoy the spiritual or mystical life. The riches of religion are now available to us without the trappings of theology as we find in Waking Up: Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Eska View Post
    I would say I'm an agnostic.

The concept of 'God' is the equivalent of saying that there is an invisible chair behind me, it is a statement that is neither provable or unprovable.

Based on the multitude of contradictions in most of the religious texts, and the reasons possible as to why religion would have existed (control, comfort, etc.), I find it highly likely that religions were built on lies or misinterpretations.
    What are some of these contradictions that you mentioned. I am particularly interested in what contradictions you believe exist in the bible.
    Likes Rambling liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What would you say to a religious person who found all spirituality and the group bonding of religion to be incredibly distasteful?
    Well, I do find much of the group bonding of religion to be distasteful. For that matter, I tend to find group bonding distasteful in general. Spirituality, on the other hand, is a worthy but largely solitary pursuit.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Rambling liked this post

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Well, I do find much of the group bonding of religion to be distasteful. For that matter, I tend to find group bonding distasteful in general. Spirituality, on the other hand, is a worthy but largely solitary pursuit.
    And are you a religious person?

I was kind of wondering what basis a person might have to be religious if they personally had no use for either spirituality or group bonding rituals.
    Formerly Lion4!5

I was kind of wondering what basis a person might have to be religious if they personally had no use for either spirituality or group bonding rituals.
    It is probably wise to keep in mind that we don't understand someone until we understand their religion.

And the three main civilizations extant today, Western Civilization based on the Abrahamic faiths, the Indian Civilization based on the Hindu religion, and the Chinese civilization based on Confucianism and Buddhism, can't be understood without understanding their religion.

And it is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to understand another person or another civilization without first understanding one's own religion first.

Quote Originally Posted by jamain View Post
    What are some of these contradictions that you mentioned. I am particularly interested in what contradictions you believe exist in the bible.
    Though not unique to Chistianity due to coming from the Old Testament, the story of Adam and Eve would be great comedy if so many people didn't take it as literal fact:

Yahweh creates Adam and Eve, the Tree of Life, and the Tree of Knowledge, puts all of them in Eden together, and then tells A & E "Don't eat the apples." Thus Yahweh is either deliberately setting A & E up for the Fall, or he doesn't know what any halfway decent parent knows -- that putting a thing within arm's reach of a person, particularly a young/innocent person, and then telling them not to touch it is virtually a sure-fire way to get them to do exactly that. Afterward when Yahweh discovers that the apple is missing from the Tree of Knowledge, he searches for but can't find A & E because they're hiding behind a bush! Oh and IIRC, soon after leaving Eden, A & E discover preexisting cities full of people!

From an ancient Yawheh-is-arbitrary-and-capricious perspective, there might arguably not be any inherent contradiction. (At least until A & E discover those cities.) And I'm sure that modern believers have all kinds of ways to reconcile this stuff. (Heck, early Christian Gnostics had a rather elaborate and interesting explanation!) But from a modern God-is-benevolent-and-all-knowing perspective, the whole story is very contradictory at least on its surface.

See Also: Wiki Article on Biblical Consistency

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Though not unique to Chistianity due to coming from the Old Testament, the story of Adam and Eve would be great comedy if so many people didn't take it as literal fact:

Yahweh creates Adam and Eve, the Tree of Life, and the Tree of Knowledge, puts all of them in Eden together, and then tells A & E "Don't eat the apples." Thus Yahweh is either deliberately setting A & E up for the Fall, or he doesn't know what any halfway decent parent knows -- that putting a thing within arm's reach of a person, particularly a young/innocent person, and then telling them not to touch it is virtually a sure-fire way to get them to do exactly that. Afterward when Yahweh discovers that the apple is missing from the Tree of Knowledge, he searches for but can't find A & E because they're hiding behind a bush! Oh and IIRC, soon after leaving Eden, A & E discover preexisting cities full of people!

From an ancient Yawheh-is-arbitrary-and-capricious perspective, there might arguably not be any inherent contradiction. (At least until A & E discover those cities.) And I'm sure that modern believers have all kinds of ways to reconcile this stuff. (Heck, early Christian Gnostics had a rather elaborate and interesting explanation!) But from a modern God-is-benevolent-and-all-knowing perspective, the whole story is very contradictory at least on its surface.

See Also: Wiki Article on Biblical Consistency
    Can you please give me the verse that indicates they found preexisting cities full of people?

Thank you!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I consider myself spiritual (at least I try to be), but not religious, for these reasons.

Can you please give me the verse that indicates they found preexisting cities full of people?

Thank you!
    Where did Cain and Abel get wives?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

Where did Cain and Abel get wives?
    Cain and Abel married a female sibling.

You didn't answer my question?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Cain and Abel married a female sibling.

You didn't answer my question?
    So then the human race was originally propagated through an incestuous case of polyandry?

There are already several posts on the forum delineating the many contradictions in the Bible. When I have more time, I will try to find and link some for you to review. Of course, people who view the Bible with blinders on will play all sorts of mental and causal gymnastics to try to make them go away, but I will leave you to judge for yourself.