User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

    36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

    25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

    6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

    1 0.76%
  • Islam

    2 1.53%
  • Christianity

    39 29.77%
  • Other

    22 16.79%
First 6141516171826 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 590

  1. #151
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I doubt it would be more enriching. Direct experience reveals a lot more than people give credit for.
    I dont know, I've heard that said but we only have one life to live its better to benefit from the wisdom of the ages, which includes indirect experience and others experience, because time is limited.

  2. #152
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know, I've heard that said but we only have one life to live its better to benefit from the wisdom of the ages, which includes indirect experience and others experience, because time is limited.
    It's not that I'm not informed at all by others' experience, that's a ridiculous notion. I just prefer to convert knowledge to wisdom and I am the sole arbiter of what adds value to my existence.

  3. #153
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,537

    Default

    We can now have AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) without religion with Share! click on SHARE!

    And we can now have meditation without religion with Sam Harris' book Waking up: Spirituality Without Religion. To hear chapter one read by Sam Harris himself click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP20eBfp2oM

    So we are starting to realize the riches of religion without the trappings of theology.

  4. #154
    Senior Member Studmuffin23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Christian pacifist.

    Over time, I've come to realize that unconditional love is the only thing worth living for.

  5. #155
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    @Lark, what does it say about our time that among the opinions in this thread there are two associated with the realm of atheism but not even one for Judaism?

  6. #156
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    @Lark, what does it say about our time that among the opinions in this thread there are two associated with the realm of atheism but not even one for Judaism?
    See below:

    Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    i was raised jewish-ish and there are certain traditions I like, but I can't rly be bothered to keep
    up with it. i like religions in theory but in practice my eyes glaze over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I don't like to talk too much about it, for fear of sounding preachy, but since I was asked....

    I do Judaism. My mother raised our family in some traditions during my childhood, then these faded away in my late teen and university years, as I lost interest in the spiritual side of things. After graduating, I slowly decided to re-investigate, so now I am solidly in the Jewish fold again.

    <usw>
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So we are starting to realize the riches of religion without the trappings of theology.
    In contrast with groups like the Nazis, who realized the trappings of religion without the riches of theology.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Survive & Stay Free, grey_beard liked this post

  7. #157
    Senior Member riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Do you meditate, Riva?

    I do something called kayanupassana.
    Last edited by riva; 01-25-2015 at 12:37 AM.
    .

  8. #158
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It's not that I'm not informed at all by others' experience, that's a ridiculous notion. I just prefer to convert knowledge to wisdom and I am the sole arbiter of what adds value to my existence.
    I know its ridiculous to suppose that, although its what you'd posted sort of implies, people dont give credit to the unspoken influence or weight of history much, whether its personal history or the world.

    Very true point about being the final arbiter, that's inescapable.

  9. #159
    Senior Member Rambling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Actually Stalin was committed to International Communism which is a totalitarian ideology based on absolute power.
    That is indeed what he said or claimed, but part of this ideology in action was a definite and persistent attempt to remove and eradicate all religion; he closed churches and murdered church leaders with that deliberate aim. Looking at his actions, historically recorded, you are fudging the issue to deny the truth of his persecution and attempt to eradicate religion. It was part of his ideology in practice. What he *called* it is less important than what he *did* in my view. And your calling it something else certainly does not alter what happened, which is what I correctly referenced.

    And how terrifying it is to think that God is the abuser. It turns our world on its head. Far better to believe the doctrine of Victimology. Rather than confront the abuser, we like to fool ourselves that being a victim will save us.

    This is the psychology of children of abusive parents. The abused child is unable to face the fact that the person they depend on is their abuser.

    And in exactly the same way we are unable to face the fact that the God who we believe created us, sustains us, and has the power of life and death over us, is also our abuser.
    There is no doubt that some things in life are not to one's liking or that some things cause one to suffer. I think you and I agree on that.

    Either there is a God or there isn't. That's a fact which has a particular truth value, regardless of what either of us decides to think about it or how each of us acts.

    If there is no God, then it becomes impossible to *logically* defend right as better than wrong, good as better than bad, patience as better than anger, peace as better than war, self control as better than rape, because each to his own selfishness and the strongest will win. There is no *moral* argument to prevent the man who says he judges that he enjoys killing and torturing people to death for his own pleasure, if morals are absent, and the presence of morals implies a common morality or common moral depth across many or all people; such *common* depth is where God is found, since it is not part of the physical world alone to assume that all people have by instinct or intuition the same moral standards.

    The presence of such intuition indicates a knowledge or access to knowledge by a different method than the physical intake of knowledge, this is moral knowledge and its commonality is at the least as the beginnings of folk religion. This kind of knowledge and seeking for what this might be is seeking for God and trying to find out what God might be like in practical and pragmatic terms.

    Now I happen to believe (by which I mean I act on the belief in my life on a day to day basis, not that I merely attend church or repeat meaningless prayers; I have integrity in these matters) that Jesus is the best human representative of the transcendent God. I don't have time here to itemise what led me to that conclusion, but it is my conclusion.

    With reference to your point about God being the abuser, you immediately reference an abusive *parent*. Ignoring the potential for the parent to carry their own guilt (this is the only recourse in a universe without God, as I have explained above) then the question arises that 'how can God allow this to happen (allow the child to suffer) and God must ultimately be to blame since He is the First Cause of the universe?'

    I have a personal admiration for a person who can maintain their character under pressure, keep their integrity when suffering or desth await. I think such situations test the true mettle and integrity of a person. Proud words about how one might act are usually proved wrong by the pressure of a real life situation. Heroes and heroines become apparent only when they actually face a dangerous situation.

    Therefore to test the morals, mettle, faith, integrity, what-you-like-to-call-it of a person, real life testing *has* to come along into their life. I admire Bonhoeffer not least for his bravery in his real life up against the Nazis. Had God not allowed that testing, I would not admire him, and i would value his teaching and words less than I do. The two work together. Suffering and testing show ones character to the world. There is a value and a character development that only comes through hard times. Thus I would allow that The transcendent God has a purpose for me in my own small experiences of suffering, because they develop my character and allow me to see and grieve over my moral flaws and failings. And think about how to improve.

    Now I argue that God is transcendent so He does not know the size of the test He gives us; this is answered in Jesus who without any extra help or knowledge beyond that which is available to any man or woman (see note below) succeeds in keeping his integrity under the most extreme fire from all areas and through a nasty persecution, an abusive and unfair trial and a shameful naked death. I admire that man. And by a strange quirk, I note further that this man in particular, this Jesus, that He endows His followers with the inner strength, inner fire, inner conviction and inner joy to replicate this feat; not to live strong powerful lives fearing every challenge and fighting to maintain the fearful supremacy of the innerly weak abuser, but radiant and joyful in affliction, faithful in hope and fervent in true prayer and relationship with the transcendent God of the universe: true peace innerly. Stronger than the strength of man.

    I say, available to all men and women...this was not available before Jesus came, but is promised now to all who believe.

    In answer then - to the abuser in a situation where I am feeling abused - I would say something like this - 'your ab-use of me has caused me to seek God, but surprisingly I found that He was Himself abused and that He was also a Victim, He was One with me in my abuse, which makes me feel a oneness with God which I did not previously know, and so despite your intentions your abuse of me has blessed me. However you, the abuser, need to question why you need to hurt others in order to prove yourself better than them...that action shows moral weakness psychologically'.

    I simplify, of course, since there are times in my life when I have been in some small way on each side of that equation.

    And exactly the same way, for 70 years, it was impossible for the police, for prosecutors, for politicians, for journalists, to believe that Priests and Brothers of God were raping children holus bolus across the globe and were protected by their institution and getting away with it.

    The expression of total power, of God-like power, was being able to rape vulnerable children in their care and be protected by their institution. It was the expression of absolute, God-like power.
    I have answered this in generic terms. The people involved in the cases you cite may have known about it and still not done their bit to stop it. But I think I have pulled out the deeper spiritual implications, which is more in line with the intention of this thread.

    Good to talk to you. You made me think it through afresh and it has taken me some time to respond to you as a result.
    Likes grey_beard liked this post

  10. #160
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Studmuffin23 View Post
    Christian pacifist.

    Over time, I've come to realize that unconditional love is the only thing worth living for.
    This is interesting to me, would you elaborate?

    I am a Christian humanist, in part because I realise that we are all human, all to human, even when Christ was incarnate, unascended etc. he was capable of actions which were human, all to human (which can lead to some good discussions of what is sin and is it just a matter of ethical culture and conduct and personal morality), which involves violence too.

    What do you think about unconditional love? I have considered this at some length and still do, its very interesting.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM
  2. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
  3. What magazines do you subscribe to and why?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  5. What direction do you see the USA going in, and where would you like it to go?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO