User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

    36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

    25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

    6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

    1 0.76%
  • Islam

    2 1.53%
  • Christianity

    39 29.77%
  • Other

    22 16.79%
First 5131415161725 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 590

  1. #141
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    You poked my heart.
    You shouldn't lend your heart to phonies.

  2. #142
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Just as abused children instinctively defend their abusing parents and blame themselves, so our first instinct is to defend God and defame man.
    I could as easily rattle off something like, "Just as abused children instinctively defend their abusing parents and blame others who might accuse them, so our first instinct is to defame the character and beliefs of others so that we might knee before and service our own swollen ideals."

    Does that make what I said true?

    So much assumption parading as givens around here, and it makes it hard to find connection points so that actual dialogue might occur.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #143
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I am an agnostic not entirely an atheist.

    I will start believing in god if he (who is all powerful and exsits here and everywhere) proves his existence to me. I am not going to believe in him because someone else believes in him or what has been said or proof given in a book.

    Just do it god just do it!

    Or your believers can come to your rescue and tell me what i expect is wrong.
    Do you meditate, Riva?

  4. #144
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    If you're a Christian, you're going to hell for not being something else, and if you're something else, you're going to hell for not being a Christian. So I don't see the point in bothering to get out of bed early to attend church or mosque or whatever. If I'm going to hell, I may as well do it with a good night's rest.
    The fact that I DON'T believe this, and the fact that my church doesn't believe it either, is a big part of why I'm still a churchgoing Christian. If I'd been raised in a stricter denomination, I would have converted by now, either to Unitarian Universalism or to agnosticism. I don't think I could ever be an atheist, for the typical agnostic reason (i.e. how could I know either way?).

    I question my faith most of the time. I generally view scripture as historical literature, more than a book of rules. My connection with the Episcopal church has more to do with culture and morals than it has to do with theology -- though I don't mind the theology either. So, more conservative Episcopalians and Anglicans would probably call me "culturally Episcopalian", much as people are "culturally Jewish" or "raised Catholic". But I try to go to church when I can, and I find myself moved and inspired by the texts and music when I go. I feel more motivated to be a good person and to treat people well. To live a good life. And in the end, isn't that what organized religion should be about?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  5. #145
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    The fact that I DON'T believe this, and the fact that my church doesn't believe it either, is a big part of why I'm still a churchgoing Christian. If I'd been raised in a stricter denomination, I would have converted by now, either to Unitarian Universalism or to agnosticism. I don't think I could ever be an atheist, for the typical agnostic reason (i.e. how could I know either way?).

    I question my faith most of the time. I generally view scripture as historical literature, more than a book of rules. My connection with the Episcopal church has more to do with culture and morals than it has to do with theology -- though I don't mind the theology either. So, more conservative Episcopalians and Anglicans would probably call me "culturally Episcopalian", much as people are "culturally Jewish" or "raised Catholic". But I try to go to church when I can, and I find myself moved and inspired by the texts and music when I go. I feel more motivated to be a good person and to treat people well. To live a good life. And in the end, isn't that what organized religion should be about?
    To be honest just as you get the political labelling of individuals as "in name only", such as R(epublican)INO or D(emocrat)INO, you get Christian in name only too, and there's a whole history of the the disputes associated with that label its not worth going into probably but ultimately labels and labelling is a human, all to human activity, I'm sure it does not determine anyones fate or life everlasting, although it can be useful to individuals themselves thinking about it or thinking about their own personal identity, that's all probably.

  6. #146
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default Meditation Without Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Do you meditate, Riva?
    All the riches of meditation are now available to us without the trappings of religion, brought to us by Sam Harris in his book Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion.

    Many of us are drawn to spirituality in meditation or contemplation but we had to wade through religion to get there. But thankfully, no more.

    You are drawn to contemplative walks through the woods, and I practice a daily walking meditation.

    Sam Harris is a good example of the results of the practice of meditation. And I rather like it myself. As I slowly walk, my mind slows down, and the world of beauty opens for me - almost by magic, but actually by meditation.
    Likes Evee liked this post

  7. #147
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest just as you get the political labelling of individuals as "in name only", such as R(epublican)INO or D(emocrat)INO, you get Christian in name only too, and there's a whole history of the the disputes associated with that label its not worth going into probably but ultimately labels and labelling is a human, all to human activity, I'm sure it does not determine anyones fate or life everlasting, although it can be useful to individuals themselves thinking about it or thinking about their own personal identity, that's all probably.
    I completely agree.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  8. #148
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    It takes some discipline, but I don't believe in anything, or maybe I believe everything within its own sphere of existence. I don't really see the need to affix truth in my mind to things that I haven't had first hand knowledge of, it seems a way to preserve your pet fancies within the safety of ignorance. Sure, it could be a way to avoid the pain of running into things like hell and bad karma head-on, but if the universe isn't fair enough to give some solid warning, fuck it.
    Likes ceecee liked this post

  9. #149
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It takes some discipline, but I don't believe in anything, or maybe I believe everything within its own sphere of existence. I don't really see the need to affix truth in my mind to things that I haven't had first hand knowledge of, it seems a way to preserve your pet fancies within the safety of ignorance. Sure, it could be a way to avoid the pain of running into things like hell and bad karma head-on, but if the universe isn't fair enough to give some solid warning, fuck it.
    So long as you find that satisfactory, there's still other ways of looking at things though if that changes.

  10. #150
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So long as you find that satisfactory, there's still other ways of looking at things though if that changes.
    I doubt it would be more enriching. Direct experience reveals a lot more than people give credit for.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM
  2. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
  3. What magazines do you subscribe to and why?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  5. What direction do you see the USA going in, and where would you like it to go?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO