User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 4121314151624 Last

Default God and Liberal Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think the distinction that people have typically made is that humans in absolute power are stepping beyond their reach as human beings (humans cannot handle absolute power without being corrupted), whereas "God" to whom absolute power already belongs is of course suited for it. In fact, the puny humans are stealing the power that rightfully belongs to god, much as prometheus stole the fire of the gods to give to man, which resulted in much progress but much destruction. It never belonged to us by the rule of nature, and we're prone to being corrupted and ruined by it.
    It is extraordinary to me that our first instinct is to defend God and defame man.

But how natural this is as God himself defames man with Original Sin and Redemption. And how natural for the followers of God to repeat God's defamation over and over again, until it appears to be true.

The love of God is the betrayal of humanity.

The love of God is pusillanimous, lacking in moral courage, ruled by fear in the face of Power.

We are told the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God. But like Charlie Ebdo I prefer to live and die on my feet than live and die on my knees.

The absolute power of God is diametrically opposed to liberal democracy. The power God is absolute, while liberal democracy limits power.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It is extraordinary to me that our first instinct is to defend God and defame man.
    "our" first instinct?

Is it yours?
    Is it mine?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "our" first instinct?

Is it yours?
    Is it mine?
    Just as abused children instinctively defend their abusing parents and blame themselves, so our first instinct is to defend God and defame man.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Supposedly god created man in his own image (male and female he created them). If so, then we sink or swim together.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Supposedly god created man in his own image (male and female he created them). If so, then we sink or swim together.
    The abusing parent does in fact tend to create their children in their own image. As abused children tend to be abusing.

But what overwhelming vanity of God to want to create us in His own image.

And indeed what pusillanimous fear causes us to want to be in the image of God. Of course we want to be in the image of God to protect us from God's wrath.

Life terrified children we hide behind the image of God, hoping God will forgive us, and stop abusing us, and won't send us to Hell.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The abusing parent does in fact tend to create their children in their own image. As abused children tend to be abusing.

And indeed what pusillanimous fear causes us to want to be in the image of God. Of course we want to be in the image of God to protect us from God's wrath.

Life terrified children we hide behind the image of God, hoping God will forgive us, and stop abusing us, and won't send us to Hell.
    What of those who turn my quote around and claim that man makes God in his own image?

Does either of us have any choice in the matter?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

But how natural this is as God himself defames man with Original Sin and Redemption. And how natural for the followers of God to repeat God's defamation over and over again, until it appears to be true.

The love of God is the betrayal of humanity.

The love of God is pusillanimous, lacking in moral courage, ruled by fear in the face of Power.

We are told the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God. But like Charlie Ebdo I prefer to live and die on my feet than live and die on my knees.

The absolute power of God is diametrically opposed to liberal democracy. The power God is absolute, while liberal democracy limits power.

From the very heart of God that made you is everlasting love (for you). He is the father you have been looking for all your life. Even though you don't know him yet, he knows everything about you (Psalm 139:1). He is familiar with all your ways (Psalm 139:3). Even the number of hairs on your head (Matthew 10:29-31).

Yes, we were made in God's image (Genesis 1:27). In God we live and move and have our being; we are his offspring (Acts 17:28). God knew us even before we were conceived (Jeremiah 1:4-5). And you were not a mistake (Psalm 139:15-16). God knit you together in your mother's womb (Psalm 139:13). And brought you forth on the day you were born (Psalm 71:6).

God is not distant and angry; on the contrary, he is the complete expression of love. (1 John 4:16). It is his desire to lavish love on you simply because you are his child and he is your father (1 John 3:1). He is the perfect father (Matthew 5:48).

Mole, God's plan for your future has always been filled with hope (Jeremiah 29:11); he loves you with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). Seek and you will find; knock and the door will open (Matthew 7:7).
    Likes DoctorCroupy#9 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    From the very heart of God that made you is everlasting love (for you). He is the father you have been looking for all your life. Even though you don't know him yet, he knows everything about you (Psalm 139:1). He is familiar with all your ways (Psalm 139:3). Even the number of hairs on your head (Matthew 10:29-31).

Yes, we were made in God's image (Genesis 1:27). In God we live and move and have our being; we are his offspring (Acts 17:28). God knew us even before we were conceived (Jeremiah 1:4-5). And you were not a mistake (Psalm 139:15-16). God knit you together in your mother's womb (Psalm 139:13). And brought you forth on the day you were born (Psalm 71:6).

God is not distant and angry; on the contrary, he is the complete expression of love. (1 John 4:16). It is his desire to lavish love on you simply because you are his child and he is your father (1 John 3:1). He is the perfect father (Matthew 5:48).

Mole, God's plan for your future has always been filled with hope (Jeremiah 29:11); he loves you with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). Seek and you will find; knock and the door will open (Matthew 7:7).
    Do you really think that is going to impress anyone who thinks of the Bible as a collection of fairy tales?
    Likes riva liked this post

I am an agnostic not entirely an atheist.

I will start believing in god if he (who is all powerful and exsits here and everywhere) proves his existence to me. I am not going to believe in him because someone else believes in him or what has been said or proof given in a book.

Just do it god just do it!

Or your believers can come to your rescue and tell me what i expect is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Do you really think that is going to impress anyone who thinks of the Bible as a collection of fairy tales?
    You poked my heart.
    Last edited by LonestarCowgirl; 01-23-2015 at 10:04 PM.