User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

1 0.76%
  • Islam

2 1.53%
  • Christianity

39 29.77%
  • Other

22 16.79%
First 3111213141523 Last

Ive recently taken up buddhist practice because I am woefully undisciplined in the mind and prone to anxiety and unsettling thughts. Buddhism offers practical solutions to that. I also like the fact its a living practice that is easily proved or disproved by the individual. It either works for you or it doesn't. There is no faith in deities that may or may not exist etc or belief in doctrines that determine if you go to heaven or hell.

Its much like any martial art, a slow process of conditioning and training that [should] result in a stronger mental state.
    Likes The Wailing Specter, Passacaglia liked this post

Most of us believe God created the universe. This makes God omnipotent or close to it. This means that God has absolute power, such as the power of life or death over each of us. And absolute power we know corrupts absolutely.

So an omnipotent God has always been the model for those who want absolute power over us, such as Kings, Dictators, Totalitarian Parties and Religions.

So God validates absolute power.

And if we reject absolute power, we are wise to reject God.

The dirty secret of God is absolute power and those who want absolute power over us.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Ive recently taken up buddhist practice because I am woefully undisciplined in the mind and prone to anxiety and unsettling thughts. Buddhism offers practical solutions to that. I also like the fact its a living practice that is easily proved or disproved by the individual. It either works for you or it doesn't. There is no faith in deities that may or may not exist etc or belief in doctrines that determine if you go to heaven or hell.

Its much like any martial art, a slow process of conditioning and training that [should] result in a stronger mental state.
    Hence why I dabble.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Most of us believe God created the universe. This makes God omnipotent or close to it. This means that God has absolute power, such as the power of life or death over each of us. And absolute power we know corrupts absolutely.

So an omnipotent God has always been the model for those who want absolute power over us, such as Kings, Dictators, Totalitarian Parties and Religions.

The dirty secret of God is absolute power and those who want absolute power over us.
    What are your thoughts on pantheism, Mole?

Default Mole, Pan and Evee

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    What are your thoughts on pantheism, Mole?
    Here we meet the God Pan at the gates of dawn. Pan is also known as the Piper, as in the pipes of Pan, for he plays a melody that transfixes us and entrances us.

Here I stand trembling at the feet of Pan in the early dawn light. Won't you join me by clicking on The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Ch. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn ?
    Likes Evee liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Here we meet the God Pan at the gates of dawn. Pan is also known as the Piper, as in the pipes of Pan, for he plays a melody that transfixes us and entrances us.

Here I stand trembling at the feet of Pan in the early dawn light. Won't you join me by clicking on The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Ch. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn ?
    Ah, perfect reply. I should have suspected.

Well played.

Default Little Portly

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Ah, perfect reply. I should have suspected.

Well played.
    Actually I would prefer you read the text of the chapter The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, let it seep into you, and imaginatively meet the Piper with Ratty and me, not to mention the most important person, Little Portly. After all, Little Portly is why we are here.

And then let me know how it has affected you.

- Mole.

RSVP.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm a chaote, discordian, and animist. I also fiddle with Zen, dabble in Shinto and take vacations in Taoism. I'm an experimenter and pseudoscientist (as well as legit scientist some times) and I experiment with conjuration and alchemy using my own paradigms, but I still keep separate the hard science from my more crazy stuff.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think the distinction that people have typically made is that humans in absolute power are stepping beyond their reach as human beings (humans cannot handle absolute power without being corrupted), whereas "God" to whom absolute power already belongs is of course suited for it. In fact, the puny humans are stealing the power that rightfully belongs to god, much as prometheus stole the fire of the gods to give to man, which resulted in much progress but much destruction. It never belonged to us by the rule of nature, and we're prone to being corrupted and ruined by it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes LonestarCowgirl, Showbread liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Absolute POWER does not corrupt. Think of taking care of a helpless newborn. Most people naturally have compassion and restraint when in a position of great power.

Power doesn't corrupt. An entourage of ass-kissing followers is what corrupts. That ego trip when everyone bends their knee and bows their head and the king could have any one of them killed for looking at him wrong. That's corruption. But it really isn't power because that's not the king's power, that's the followers' power. They do it to themselves. The king is just a man and a man is easily solved by a blade in the dark. Any nobody in the right position can destroy a king.
    Likes Kullervo liked this post