User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an atheist

    36 27.48%
  • I'm agnostic

    25 19.08%
  • Buddhism

    6 4.58%
  • Hinduism

    1 0.76%
  • Islam

    2 1.53%
  • Christianity

    39 29.77%
  • Other

    22 16.79%
First 91011121321 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 590

  1. #101
    Member Eska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm a Christian.

    Trying to explain it or justify it just lends credence to the premise that it should be (or needs to be) explained or justified (which is ridiculous).

    I think the most reasonable course of action is to let folks come to their own conclusions about such things, and to not let differences of opinion on this front keep us from being able to connect with one another.
    When it is questioned, it would be preferable for it to be justified if the person is seeking an answer.

    Do you not question your own beliefs?

    Why wouldn't one's beliefs be subject to questioning?

  2. #102
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Although God is quiet and elusive, He exists profoundly.
    As much as that is not the truth, but may be the Truth, he who plainly does not exist, may exist profoundly.

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    IAs to the existence of God, maybe one example would help. If you think about the human eye and incredibly complex it is, how could such a thing ever come into existence through sheer happenstance? It was designed.
    Your choice:



    or

    Likes Passacaglia, riva, Kasper liked this post

  3. #103
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, pedantically you are correct. But my point was that there is nothing inherent in Catholicism that causes people to do wrong; rather, people choose to do wrong and happen to be Catholic. Any position of power or influence gives one the opportunity to do evil; but those positions don't cause people to do evil. When Stalin killed millions of his own people, was it because something about being the leader of Russia inevitably results in evil, or because he was an evil man? If you choose the former, as you have, it's a rather intractable problem. The world needs leaders, and there will always be positions of power and influence. If people are powerless to resist temptation, where does that leave us? I prefer not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
    Stalin was executing a totalitarian ideology. A totalitarian ideology is one of absolute power. And power as we know tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

    The Pope by contrast is the executive of an institution begun with God and Abraham. God ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and stand over him with a butcher's knife ready to cut him up alive. If we imagine how Isaac felt, we can see this was a Godly act of child abuse. And as the tree is bent, so it grows.
    Likes Passacaglia, The Wailing Specter liked this post

  4. #104
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I am into Judaism. Before I was agnostic, I was an atheist who was a Christian, after Paganism of course.

  5. #105
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,648

    Default

    Can anyone tell me, in a US context, if there is a church, congregation or following which is called or refered to as "ethical culture"?

    I wonder if its a way of saying that you're atheist or agnostic without using those labels, I heard it recently in a film.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  6. #106
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default Happenstance, God, and Natural Selection

    Originally Posted by @highlander -
    As to the existence of God, maybe one example would help. If you think about the human eye and incredibly complex it is, how could such a thing ever come into existence through sheer happenstance? It was designed.
    Our eyes did not come about by happenstance, nor were they designed by God, rather our eyes came about through natural selection.

  7. #107
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The Pope by contrast is the executive of an institution begun with God and Abraham. God ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and stand over him with a butcher's knife ready to cut him up alive. If we imagine how Isaac felt, we can see this was a Godly act of child abuse. And as the tree is bent, so it grows.
    The pope is the leader of an institution formed by Jesus. The first pope was Peter the apostle: "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church." ("Tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam." In Latin, it's even a play on words.)

    Abraham is considered a "founding father" of the Jewish tradition. Sadly the willingness of parents to sacrifice their children one way or another to the demands of religious authorities is not limited by time, culture, or faith.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #108
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default The God of Abraham and Child Rearing Practices

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The pope is the leader of an institution formed by Jesus. The first pope was Peter the apostle: "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church." ("Tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam." In Latin, it's even a play on words.)

    Abraham is considered a "founding father" of the Jewish tradition. Sadly the willingness of parents to sacrifice their children one way or another to the demands of religious authorities is not limited by time, culture, or faith.
    There are three Abrahamic faiths: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

    Each Abrahamic faith finds its origin in the God of Abraham.

    And each faith finds its ends in its origins.

    In particular each faith finds the origins of its child rearing practices in the practices of the God of Abraham.

  9. #109
    Senior Member Rambling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Stalin was executing a totalitarian ideology. A totalitarian ideology is one of absolute power. And power as we know tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

    The Pope by contrast is the executive of an institution begun with God and Abraham. God ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and stand over him with a butcher's knife ready to cut him up alive. If we imagine how Isaac felt, we can see this was a Godly act of child abuse. And as the tree is bent, so it grows.
    Stalin was actively hostile towards religion and attempted to eradicate it...he was *not* neutral towards it. His intention was to destroy and remove it by force.

    Imagining how Isaac felt is certinly insightful, it would be similar to how Jesus felt when unfairly condemned and crucified. The Old Testament illustrates the New, using types and shadows. The Old Testamnet understanding is limited...the New Testament understanding is that Jesus through being a Victim won the ultimate battle. And that Satan and men's choices are behind evil, not God.

    Thus I think this gives hope to people going through actual experiences of victimisation.

  10. #110
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    Stalin was actively hostile towards religion and attempted to eradicate it...he was *not* neutral towards it. His intention was to destroy and remove it by force.

    Imagining how Isaac felt is certinly insightful, it would be similar to how Jesus felt when unfairly condemned and crucified. The Old Testament illustrates the New, using types and shadows. The Old Testamnet understanding is limited...the New Testament understanding is that Jesus through being a Victim won the ultimate battle. And that Satan and men's choices are behind evil, not God.

    Thus I think this gives hope to people going through actual experiences of victimisation.
    Actually Stalin was committed to International Communism which is a totalitarian ideology based on absolute power.

    And how terrifying it is to think that God is the abuser. It turns our world on its head. Far better to believe the doctrine of Victimology. Rather than confront the abuser, we like to fool ourselves that being a victim will save us.

    This is the psychology of children of abusive parents. The abused child is unable to face the fact that the person they depend on is their abuser.

    And in exactly the same way we are unable to face the fact that the God who we believe created us, sustains us, and has the power of life and death over us, is also our abuser.

    And exactly the same way, for 70 years, it was impossible for the police, for prosecutors, for politicians, for journalists, to believe that Priests and Brothers of God were raping children holus bolus across the globe and were protected by their institution and getting away with it.

    The expression of total power, of God-like power, was being able to rape vulnerable children in their care and be protected by their institution. It was the expression of absolute, God-like power.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM
  2. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
  3. What magazines do you subscribe to and why?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  5. What direction do you see the USA going in, and where would you like it to go?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO