User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which support system for your post privatised school?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charity

3 8.82%
  • Corporate

10 29.41%
  • Religious

7 20.59%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

14 41.18%
12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Privatize education

Possibly the greatest tool on control and force of stagnation present in today's society is the public education system and the state control over curriculum.

If education were to be privatized would you prefer to enroll your child in a school supported by charity, a corporation or a religious group?

This is of course assuming you lack the resources to have your child attend a purely tuition supported school.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ENTP

I voted for corporate, though I now feel like I should have voted for charity. Regardless, it all depends on the mission statements and infrastructures of the corporations/charities involved. But I am totally against having more than a minority of schools run by religious institutions. There's absolutely no need to go there. For those who desire it, they can pay for it or go to places like St. Regis in Manhattan (completely free world-class education under Jesuits)... but if poor children generally had to have recourse only to religious institutions for quality education, it seems to me their world-views would be ever so slightly warped, since other religions rarely get good or thorough coverage in Christian or other religion-based schools. I am particularly chary of religious-based schools in the U.S. due to the rise of the unbelievably atavistic Creationist 'theory' (I'd call it dogma).

Frankly, even secular-liberal private schools in the U.S. tend to focus entirely on Judeo-Christian histories to the detriment of exploring other cultures... they'll spend years on the former and a month (of poorly taught classes) on the latter.

So charity or corporation, fine. Religious? Please, GOD, no.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INTJ

What sort of corporate school would you send your kid to?

The problem with sending your kid to a corporate school is that if he doesn't really bust his ass or show serious gumption then he's probably going to end up being tailored for a menial job once he hits high school.

Charity schools would suffer much the same problem as public schools do now, low resources and high demand.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INFP

I love the public education system. I don't see how my curriculum differs from that of private universities...
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I love the public education system. I don't see how my curriculum differs from that of private universities...
    Universities are less poisonous than elementary and especially high schools.

And I'm pretty sure that even private universities have to answer to the ministry of education (or whatever it's called in the US).
    wails from the crypt.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

So what would these corporate schools be like? They wouldn't just be giving the money away. What, would it be ad supported? Ads in the text books? The corporations wouldn't want us to learn things like science and history. It would be Factory Working 101 or Introduction to TPS Reports. I can see them maybe funding some kind of employee training program.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So what would these corporate schools be like? They wouldn't just be giving the money away. What, would it be ad supported? Ads in the text books? The corporations wouldn't want us to learn things like science and history. It would be Factory Working 101 or Introduction to TPS Reports. I can see them maybe funding some kind of employee training program.
    It would be employee training from day 1.

However they would need to give young kids some level of varied education in order to determine their strengths and assign them to more specialized programs as they grew.

It would be the parent's responsibility to keep their kids balanced and no the state's.
    wails from the crypt.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post

However they would need to give young kids some level of varied education in order to determine their strengths and assign them to more specialized programs as they grew.

It would be the parent's responsibility to keep their kids balanced and no the state's.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post

Yeah I can't say I'm wild about that idea.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah I can't say I'm wild about that idea.
    I'm not wild about the idea of the majority who is easily swayed by politicians determining what my children are learning for years of their lives.

EDIT: Also, if you don't like the idea of corporate schools then send them to a charity school.
    wails from the crypt.