User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which support system for your post privatised school?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charity

3 8.82%
  • Corporate

10 29.41%
  • Religious

7 20.59%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

14 41.18%
First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Is that what the average person pays? Or do the wealthy canadians take the brunt of the cost with progressive taxes?

How is the education in Canada by the way? I know it's better than in America at least at the k-12 levels.
    Yeah, the wealthy do carry much of the burden.

I was not wowed by my education.
    wails from the crypt.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    But pragmatically speaking, would you rather live in a society where these people remained completely uneducated?
    You mean like now?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You mean like now?
    I'll post so you know I read this, but there isn't a response which wouldn't require me to essay upon deaf ears, assume your idiocy, or pretend I'm an idiot myself.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Poor and lower-middle class families can't afford $13,000 per kid to go to school. It's as simple as that, of course attendance rates would drop.
    Where does the $13,000 a year figure come from? There is NO WAY education designed and implemented for the underclass would be anywhere near that expensive circa 2008. In fact, the most recent numbers I've seen average closer to $8,600 a year spent per student per year in American public grade schools.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jasz View Post
    so why change then?
    The quality of the education could conceivably improve considerably.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I'll post so you know I read this, but there isn't a response which wouldn't require me to essay upon deaf ears, assume your idiocy, or pretend I'm an idiot myself.
    Good point... my flippant response left no room for a reasonable reply. I apologize.

But I will tell you the truth: In the city where I live, a high school diploma amounts to a certificate of participation. It is quite common for our graduates to be essentially illiterate, and many don't even bother to finish.

There are also those who finish high school here with reasonably good preparation for college. This depends entirely on the volition of the student.

MBTI
    xNTJ

How much does the average household pay in taxes for education? $1000? A private school would cost at least 8x more than this. Most people are having a hard time paying the bills they already have.

Would you be against having public funds attached to the kid and letting the parents choose were to send them? It works for Europe, the place with the best test scores in the world and the most educated populouses.
    They already do something like this in Florida if the child is attending a "failing school". It's called the school voucher program, and it's *really* controversial.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Where does the $13,000 a year figure come from? There is NO WAY education designed and implemented for the underclass would be anywhere near that expensive circa 2008. In fact, the most recent numbers I've seen average closer to $8,600 a year spent per student per year in American public grade schools.
    I remember being told that figure when I was in elementary school by a teacher. Maybe the figure is higher in some states, I live in NY. $8,600 is still a lot of money, especially for a lower-class family with several children..

MBTI
    xNTJ

Is that what the average person pays? Or do the wealthy canadians take the brunt of the cost with progressive taxes?

How is the education in Canada by the way? I know it's better than in America at least at the k-12 levels.
    I can't speak to the taxation stuff, but I know that we do pay a ridiculous amount of taxes in comparison to what I paid when I lived in the States.

Don't be too sure that Canadian education is so much better than American education. I attended school in the States. My son attended K-3 in British Columbia.

It sucks. They have minimal (if any) enrichment programs for gifted children. I've found that very few teachers are able to deal with an advanced student and keep that child stimulated. The schools here are homogenized, so my gifted child was in a classroom with the unwashed masses, where the curriculum was taught to the lowest common denominator.

I ended up sending my son home to Florida for school, because it sucks so much here. At least there, he's in classrooms that are sorted by intellectual ability. He also has more enrichment and extracurricular activities available to him.

From what I've investigated in the universities here, they aren't all that incredible. Some are better than others, of course, but the local university in my area is great... if you want to major in Forestry or Fisheries. Otherwise, it sucks.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ESFJ

I remember being told that figure when I was in elementary school by a teacher. Maybe the figure is higher in some states, I live in NY. $8,600 is still a lot of money, especially for a lower-class family with several children..
    I don't think it would take $8,600 per student. That's the point. There would obviously be free schooling for the truly indigent, as well. The free charity schools couldn't be any worse than public schools in the areas of the country in which parents can't afford any tuition whatsoever.